Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Avoidance

Thanks

Tax Avoidance

Hey,

I will probably be getting a big job contract offer from Canada and a friend of mine suggested that I should establish an offshore company with a bank account, in Belize for example, to avoid paying tax marginally. I googled and found this.

http://www.tax-planning.org/Belize_IBC.html

I emailed customer support twice with questions and they replied promptly assuring that it is completely legal and I could produce a Certificate of TAX Exemption to SARS. They have 24 hours support facility and Novik is a law firm based in the UK.

There are many advantages:

• Nominee services through lawyers
    • Highest level of privacy protection
    • Limited liability without any paid up capital requirement
    • Legal tax examption
    • No taxation on any kind of income
    • No accounting requirements
    • No reporting requirements
    • No fees for accountants
    • No auditing
    • No requirements on profession or financial standing
    • Business can be comducted internationaly

Their answers to my questions:

1. Does that mean I don't have to pay any income taxes should I want to withdraw the fund to pay my day-to-day expenses, mortgage bond, etc. in South Africa? Can the Certificate of Tax Exemption be submitted should SARS (South African Revenue Services - TAX) want to verify.

NO TAX at all. Sure, you can submit the Certificate of TAX Exemption, no problem

Will the nominated beneficiary in my will get my money if I die.

Sure, as usual

No banking account? It didn't mention anything about the banking account.

You can see bank account http://www.accounting-on-line.com/offshore_banking.html

It looks promising but the only thing that I'm scared of is that SARS will claim this as tax evasion instead of legal tax avoidance.

Say, if I get R 300,000 from Canada ane I will have to pay effective tax rate of about 35%. I will just pay costs of about 10% in total.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know, tax avoidance is illegal. Tax optimisation is OK though.

Thanks
    Thanks, Dave A! Not sure how they could do that. Please read a quote from Novik website below.

One of the biggest burdens an individual or a company has to face is tax. Yet, whether we want it or not, we have to face it and deal with it. If you feel that you want some tax relief or you want to reduce tax or pay low taxes for yourself or for your company, then, consider tax planning and tax avoidance. Novik Law International can make lower taxes possible for you and your company. Whether you need tax planning or tax avoidance processes done for you, Novik can accomplish them at a much faster rate without any trouble at all. To acquire low taxes or reduced taxes through Novik are all done legally and as allowed by law. While not many people know it, there can be tax exemptions and tax relief provisions which may be applicable to you and your company. You can reduce tax and experience tax relief without violating any law and by doing everything legally and easily.
    What should I do to optimise? The client pays half this financial year and another half in the next financial year?

The possible job is a design job - a pure service job - it will probably take about 6 months and there is no need to buy any stock or resources.

Thanks
    Tax evasion is illegal, but tax avoidance? If I switch from a taxable investment to a tax-free one, that is tax avoidance, but that is not a crime. I am simply making a move to optimise my returns. Is that not what anakin is doing?

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (23-Feb-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Just be careful of SA tax residency rules - as SA resident you are taxed in SA on worldwide income and gains, irrespective where earned (subject to a few exemptions).

Taxability of off-shore company profits is determined by "place of effective management". Thus if Anakin, being SA resident, provide effective management for this company, the company will in all probability also be deemed to be SA resident and all profits will be taxable in SA.

This is quite tricky domestic legislation and I would be very wary of relying on information provided by an effectively sales driven foreign website.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (23-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Tax evasion is illegal, but tax avoidance?
    Thanks for the correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    Taxability of off-shore company profits is determined by "place of effective management".
    Interesting. Would that principle extend to trusts where management is conducted via a lawyer/legal representative situated in the foreign country?
    Last edited by Dave A; 23-Feb-09 at 10:37 AM.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Place of effective management in the case of a trust is usually the place where the trustees fullfil their fiduciary duties as trustees.

Thanks

Tax avoidance

There is often a fine line between tax avoidance (legal steps taken to minimize the incidence of taxation) or tax evasion (what Al Capone ended up doing time in jail for). It also often depends on the view of the Fiscus (the tax collector, such as SARS) or the taxpayer. Off shore schemes are good but frowned upon by SARS. The source of the income is vital: if the source is in SA or deemed to be in SA, then that source of income falls within the South African tax net.

The point I want to make is that this area of commercial activity, law and taxation, is a minefield with the mines usually laid by SARS. Tread very lightly. (and put your hands over your ears in case of a big bang)

Sieg

11. Thanks given for this post:

duncan drennan (24-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
    The source of the income is vital: if the source is in SA or deemed to be in SA, then that source of income falls within the South African tax net.
    So does that mean that if the service being delivered is taking place in SA that it automatically falls under the SA tax net? e.g. I work for an offshore client, but do all the work in my SA offices. I am sure the answer (and case law) is not clear cut, but any indication?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Oh, the law is VERY clear cut in this regard, and lots of case law available. If the source of the service is South Africa, that is where the tax is payable (usually source rules only applied to non-residents in SA).

If you are resident in SA (or deemed to be resident in SA) your worldwide income and gains are taxable in SA, even if source is off-shore (e.g. interest that you earn on that little Swiss bank acoount and rental income on that property on the French Riviera).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast