Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limitation on Windows XP Home and XP Pro

Thanks

Exclamation Limitation on Windows XP Home and XP Pro

Many of us are running networks in our day to day attempt to make a couple of bucks.
    Well, here is something to keep in mind ! Windows XP Home installed on a computer used as a data server can only handle 5 logged on users at a time. ( Not only onto Pastel or any other multi user accounting package you are running , but all other data basis served by the server ) and if you have a LAN printer, that counts as one user. So, with the above you can only have 4 more users in your accounting package logged on and should the lady doing the Payroll log on as well, you will get an error message to the effect that "no further connections to this computer can be made."

Windows XP Pro can handle 10 users and after that you have to go to Windows Server.

Just to demonstrate how clever Microsoft was.........the first edition of XP ( Home or Pro ) had no such limitation and this was only introduced via the first service pack apparently "to limit the spread of viruses".

So beware of the limitations of your OS ! before adding new workstations.

There is a temporary band-aid for this problem.

On the web one can find a temporary solution if you are running XP Home by editing the Registry to timeout an inactive connection in 1 ( or any other ) minute/s instead of the default 15 minutes. This allows the user wanting to log on to wait for a shorter period before being allowed by the OS. This obviously bars the previous user from the data base. However once the default parameter is changed, it gets written to the registry, including other registry entries and will remain so unless changed manually again.

If one now UPGRADES to XP Pro ( to get 10 users ) these registry entries will remain as is ( 5 users) and this deactivates XP Pro's ability to automatically set the user amount to 10. You will have to do this manually by changing the registry setting for the user amount. OR you have to go through a procedure to reset the network parameters to XP Pro default.

Another word of warning !!!!! Do not fiddle around with the registry settings unless you know what you are doing and always make a restore point before you attempt any changes.
    The result of not doing the procedure correctly can be a complete loss of your OS and subsequent re-installation of Windows.

Does anyone know what the limitations are on Vista and the new Win 7 ?

If somebody has one of these you can find out by : Start- Run- Cmd- enter and at the prompt enter: Net config server enter

This will show "Maximum users"

Assuming the commands are still the same ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

2. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (09-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Martin. I wasn't aware of the 10 connections limit in XP Pro, although I had bumped the 5 connections limit on XP Home.

I wonder if putting the databases (company files) onto a linux server would solve the problem for people having concurrent connection problems? Just have one PC and all it does is hold the databases...

Thanks
    Linux is a good solution but in the case of Pastel, you need to load and license the program on the server. Well....no Linux version available so in this case you are stuck with Windows .
    To keep frequently used company files e.g: Open Office documents etc on the Linux server is a very good idea and as far as I know there is no limitation on Linux. ( and no viruses, and no OS failures, and no.................you can carry on and on )
    I have a Linux with Fedora running and used for a backup server. Only a pleasure !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    I don't know about Pastel, but with Quickbooks I share the company file on a Linux samba server.

Here's an even quicker / easier / cheaper workaround for the connection limit

If you don't have a spare PC to install Linux onto, download VirtualBox (which is a virtual PC program for Windows), and install it on the Windows PC, then install Linux - any Linux you prefer (take a look @ SME Server 7.4 for a quick & easy Linux email / printer / domain controller / firewall / file server), and then use that to share the files & printers. No connection limits, and no licencing required.

You still have a Windows server for Windows-only stuff, and Linux for all the others
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

6. Thank given for this post:

3x-a-d3-u5 (11-Feb-09), Dave A (09-Feb-09), Loman (07-Mar-09), Martinco (09-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Which database engine does Quickbooks use ?
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    As far as I know quickbooks does need a server side database engine installed the client machines just need read write access to the share where the database is stored.
    In my opinion any company that needs more that 10 concurrent connection to a Pastel database should be considering moving to something like Microsoft Small Business Server to manage and protect their data.
    Benefits:
    a. Central management of user accounts.
    b. Group access to specific data. E.g being able to share management accounts amongst shareholders while denying access to employees not part or the shareholder group.
    c. Central management, storage and backup of users, files e-mail and databases.
    d. Built in backup software
    e. Being able to logon at any pc on the network with your username and password and have full access to all your data and email.
    f. And many more.
    Limitations of small business server:
    a. Can’t have more than 75 concurrent users.
    b. Usually need an IT person to manage and maintain.
    c. For a 10 user network that does not expect much growth you can expect to spend in the region of R15 - R20k

9. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (10-Feb-09)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne123 View Post
    b. Usually need an IT person to manage and maintain.
    c. For a 10 user network that does not expect much growth you can expect to spend in the region of R15 - R20k
    Thanks for your suggestion/s but it is b. and c. that bothers me
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    Limitation on Windows XP Home and XP Pro.

Interesting! And please try and explain that to a group of users! I promise you will get the infamous “sheep expression” Yes Microsoft really is a bit limited in there thinking and it reflex on their ability to make a proper OS. Not that there is anything wrong with 2003 server addition! But I recommend good old Linux! But again Linux is not renowned for its ease of use! However I want to know is why Office 2007 student addition crashes when it needs to do a spell check! Now that is a real shocker! It is not stable for some reason. Now it is an expensive programme R1200 and it did lose some of my pages! A lot of work to lose when you are on a deadline! Anyway handy to know stuff!! Love it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by insulin View Post

But I recommend good old Linux! But again Linux is not renowned for its ease of use!
    Some of the latest distros like Fedora and I guess many others now have a "look alike" to MS desktop and is much more user friendly. For the non believers it might be worth your while to load a copy onto a spare computer and try it out. I know that Open Office runs like a dream.( and I guess many other programs as well.)

What I cannot understand is why many people are scared of using/trying Linux.
    I am sure we have been indoctrinated by Microsoft without even knowing this !
    " There is no life after Windows "
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    I've given linux a try( kubuntu). it's all good going around the OS and all that for just the OS. in terms of business, I can possibly understand as to why you would want it. in terms of gaming, I scoff. the other thing that gets my goat about linux. with windows, you can have a brand new installed copy of windows on a machine, and go about your daily life no problems. buy your software locally, get that program from your local software dealer whatever. windows, in reality, can run without the internet. linux, on the other hand basically needs a big internet IV drip. when last did you walk into a store and see "for linux" on a box? I haven't. ever. maybe I'm just looking in the wrong section. it's all online, mainly in code. the app-get in kubuntu was my only saviour, because the compiler I was attempting to get, expected me to compile it. HTF do you compile without a compiler? windows got that right. I don't want to have to compile every piece of software I want to use, just because they want to be "open source."

security is tight, which can be a plus and a minus. if you want to compile that program into something useable in that folder directory, you've got to give admin rights. all I want to do is install something, not destroy the world.

and linux with different packages makes windows' use of home business pro ultimate etc look like nothing.

so yeah, people use windows because linux is a pain in the ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast