Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows 7

Thanks
    windows 7 starter edition. Thought you guys might want to know about it. it sounds awesome for netbooks, no doubt bringing down the price but still keeping decent functionality.

Thanks
    A bit of an old thread, but since Windows 7 was released on the 22nd of october last year (the guy was wrong, but I guess not too far out. lol), I guess now would be a good time to get this thread up and running again with your views of windows 7, as well as any good/bad stories.

Starting off the discussion, I installed a copy of 7 professional yesterday. I used Vista before, and it worked beautifully for me. Doing a clean install (a few of the upgrade nightmare stories made me decide on this) didn't feel any different than when I did the vista install. the only real difference you see is that the background picture is different. Everything installs, you enter your key and continue through.

in terms of the user interface, the main noticeable difference you will see over and over again is the task bar. Instead of the usual icon and text, win7 sticks to larger icons. hovering over these icons will bring up a mini display of whatever you're hovering over. Hovering over the mini screen will hide everything else and show you just what you're hovering over. While the fresh UI will keep XP users in awe, most that chose to use vista will feel very comfortable while using it (unless of course you hated vista's UI).

The large majority of the tweaks and upgrades are in the back-end. from personal experience, vista took up approx 35-38% of my memory on start up. windows 7 currently takes between 21 and 25%. the start up and shut down is extremely quick (and I have an abnormally long boot sequence). Opening applications is equally fast, and gaming hasn't suffered through this upgrade.

I choose the word upgrade, because that is what it is. the version number for vista is 6.0.
    the version number for win7 is 6.1.
    It is better than vista, but not completely different (like vista was to XP).
    And, naturally, it is better lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I got my windows 7 starter with my new notebook. It is really robust and can be stable. Yes some of the older software will not touch it with a ten foot pole but it doesn’t eat your computer alive. Your computer does feel faster and more responsive then with Vista and basically runs a good GUI “it looks nice”

So yes in all it looks the business and it works well. However, you can still streamline it and Skype has real compatibility problems "you get an annoying error of your explorer not being able to handle something."

Other than that, it runs well and it works... It doesn’t need a big CPU and a billion GB of ram and more importantly if you disable the updates it doesn’t cry, scream and give you “you are at risk” death notes... However it gets cranky with you when you open a few programs at the same time.

Still multitasking is a windows XP Pro thing but again how many big applications can you run on a simple CPU and not much RAM? Maybe it is to stop memory faults and that common phenomena known as blue-screen-of-death that is synonymous with XP before SP 1 and not to mention VISTA “and yes VISTA is crash happy!”

So overall if you go for windows 7 and you want the basics then YES windows 7 starter is limited like a serial killer in a straitjacket that is locked up in a padded room. But it still has a mean look about it. I honestly think its SP1 will allow for a bit more freedom but let us see.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I'm running win7 on only one of my computers. To me win 7 is what Vista should have been. It's more stable, and less resource intensive than Vista and it's okay if Micros0ft operating systems are your thing. I haven't been motivated to upgrade my XP Pro pc's and I certainly won't be uninstalling OpenSuse to make way for Win7 anytime soon.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I got my windows 7 starter with my new notebook. It is really robust and can be stable. Yes some of the older software will not touch it with a ten foot pole but it doesn’t eat your computer alive. Your computer does feel faster and more responsive then with Vista and basically runs a good GUI “it looks nice”

So yes in all it looks the business and it works well. However, you can still streamline it and Skype has real compatibility problems "you get an annoying error of your explorer not being able to handle something."

Other than that, it runs well and it works... It doesn’t need a big CPU and a billion GB of ram and more importantly if you disable the updates it doesn’t cry, scream and give you “you are at risk” death notes... However it gets cranky with you when you open a few programs at the same time.

Still multitasking is a windows XP Pro thing but again how many big applications can you run on a simple CPU and not much RAM? Maybe it is to stop memory faults and that common phenomena known as blue-screen-of-death that is synonymous with XP before SP 1 and not to mention VISTA “and yes VISTA is crash happy!”

So overall if you go for windows 7 and you want the basics then YES windows 7 starter is limited like a serial killer in a straitjacket that is locked up in a padded room. But it still has a mean look about it. I honestly think its SP1 will allow for a bit more freedom but let us see.
    yep, starter is limited to 3 concurrent programs if I remember correctly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234