Thread: Website linking anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bronze Member
    Thanks

Website linking anyone?

Is anyone interested in exchanging links with me? I have a number of sites that would like a link.

If you're interested please PM or leave a not here so i can post you the list and instructions .
    once there was a man. the end.

Thanks
    Exchanging links for the sake of exchanging links doesn't seem like a particularly good idea, besides search engines don't appreciate it. Here is the info Google provides about Link Schemes.

Your site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to you. The quantity, quality, and relevance of links count towards your rating. The sites that link to you can provide context about the subject matter of your site, and can indicate its quality and popularity. However, some webmasters engage in link exchange schemes and build partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. This is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact your site's ranking in search results. Examples of link schemes can include:

* Links intended to manipulate PageRank
    * Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web
    * Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.")
    * Buying or selling links that pass PageRank

The best way to get other sites to create relevant links to yours is to create unique, relevant content that can quickly gain popularity in the Internet community. The more useful content you have, the greater the chances someone else will find that content valuable to their readers and link to it. Before making any single decision, you should ask yourself the question: Is this going to be beneficial for my page's visitors?

It is not only the number of links you have pointing to your site that matters, but also the quality and relevance of those links. Creating good content pays off: Links are usually editorial votes given by choice, and the buzzing blogger community can be an excellent place to generate interest.

Once you've made your changes and are confident that your site no longer violates our guidelines, submit your site for reconsideration.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

3. Thanks given for this post:

3x-a-d3-u5 (16-Jan-09)

Thanks
    Google recently published the Google Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide which gives you a pretty good explanation of good SEO practice "from the horses mouth".

Of course, it'll all be out of date in 3 months time...:-)

It doesn't specifically mention link exchanges, but does list a number of good practices for promoting your website.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Well in all my SEO years... I have come to realise that content is king, no matter what one would like to argue. I must agree, and do realise that it is all about quality when it comes to linking and google. My search for quality links continues then, for web designers and developers
    once there was a man. the end.

Thanks
    To some extend, a "link exchange" could be beneficial, but as pointed out, it might be bad for your website.

I think if you want to link to otder sites, then do it with a bit of tactics, i.e. write a small write-up about the other website / their offerings / products / etc, and the publish the link. This is far more valuable than just putting the link on your website. But even then, one often wants to "promote" other websites on your website, not really for the sake of SEO, but more for the sake of telling other people about it. For example on my one forum (it's about photography), we have some links to a bed shop and a lense rental service. The lense rental service compliments the photography forum, although the bed rental doesn't. Yet we want to tell people about these other websites.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone