Thread: Eco Tubing supply and alarm installation - KZN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Eco Tubing supply and alarm installation - KZN

Am about to move house / office ( from Getagun to KZN - Toti ) and am considering installing eco-tubing ( I think that's what it is called - square plastic tubing with clip on front face ) at ceiling height for my alarm cables, network cables, TV arial cables, etc. Should I be able to put all these cables in the same tubing, or would there be some form of interference between them ?

Can anyone point me to where I can find what sizes of tubing are available ? -- our local hardware only stock 1 size, but I am sure there must be a whole range available - pref. looking for a supplier in the Toti area.

Also, am looking for an alarm system installation person that can supply / install the sensors, control panel, etc.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if Voltex has a branch in Toti, but they do have one just on the South side of Durban. There is a wide range of PVC trunking sizes available.

Ideally, you'll want to keep power cabling seperate from signal cabling, although that depends exactly what the signal cabling is for. If the signal cable is for something quite sensitive to EMF disturbance, the solution is to go coaxial cable, but it is a lot more expensive.

3. Thanks given for this post:

daveob (12-Jan-09)

Thanks
    I doubt that there would be any disturbance as long as there isn't a high voltage cable running alongside it.
    Alarm = 12v. should be fine.

If there is any interference with a power cable then what you can do is flip the power cable on one side of the coax and every five meters then flip it over, then another five meters, flip it back.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    I would recommend DSC alarm systems. They are a bit more expensive but when you get a power spike or electricity problems, then you don't have to spend another 1000 on a new panel.

Our company used only DSC in mozambique because of the bad power situation.
    Still, a spike or some other problem is possible in SA as well.

--- Spray your PIR's with doom or any other long lasting product every once in a while.
    It gets rid of spiders & other bugs that cause false alarms.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

6. Thanks given for this post:

daveob (13-Jan-09)