Thread: Working from Home - The Online Business Reality

Suspended
    Thanks

Exclamation Working from Home - The Online Business Reality

According to a recent Harris poll, 72% of American households are thinking about starting a home based business. This is quite frankly a staggering statistic. Almost three quarters of Americans are unsatisfied with their current employment situation for one reason or another. Many of these unsatisfied workers are turning to the Internet to fuel their work from home dream jobs.

Quitting the never ending rat race is a personal decision that many work from home entrepreneurs face. Their reasons for wanting to work from home vary. Some people find that they simply have no other choice but to work out of their home office. Perhaps they have to take care of their elderly parents or their children, or they themselves are house-bound. Some people are retired and find that finally having an opportunity to spend time in their own home is a huge comfort and joy. Even college kids, stay at home spouses, and those recently downsized are finding that the Internet is simply the best option for starting and running a profitable home based business.

Working from home is a serious commitment that all entrepreneurs should consider. However, they must be aware of the negatives and risks of the Internet. The Internet is fraught with get rich quick schemes. It is also overflowing with misleading business building hype and flat out work from home lies. Any program or opportunity that promises big bucks with little work is a fraud. Proper research and common sense should eliminate many frauds and scams. Developing a solid Internet business requires partnerships with strong and professional companies.

Building a real business, no matter what kind of business, requires hard work. That’s the bad news. The good news is there has never been a better time to start a business from home because the Internet makes it a low-cost and low-risk venture. Building an online business or work from home business does not require massive amounts of start up capital. With that said, it is possible to over spend on your business simply by neglecting the research.

Learning about web hosting companies and traffic building strategies in the beginning of your work from home business plan is a tremendous positive step. There are many web hosting companies that offer cheap domains and seemingly endless features. The problem many web entrepreneurs face is they invest in the wrong web hosting company at the start up phase of their business. They soon discover that they have not built an online business. They have simply built an online brochure that sits unvisited by the millions of web surfers. Now they must invest more and more money into building a bigger and better site, or paying a firm to optimize their web pages, or paying a search engine to display their ads.

A web business that sits unvisited is not a business at all. Online entrepreneurs know they need an income to be successful. They also realize that building an online business is a series of steps. They must rank well in the search engines by providing excellent content filled web pages. In return for ranking so well, the search engines send droves of targeted customers to the online business. Now that the online business has customers, it can begin to develop a relationship with them. It warms the customer by creating a welcoming and personal feel. All of the great information and the atmosphere of the website will build a trust between the business and its customer. It is this relationship of that leads to profitability.

Forget the long string of classic work at home dead-end jobs like envelope-stuffing and telemarketing. Use the Web to build something terrific that excites you, a business to be proud of, that you own, and that earns you substantial income. Working from home rewards entrepreneurs in so many ways. If you are interested in an online business or a work at home business, you must be smart enough to do the research.

Thanks
    Quite true...alot of benefits...although I'd still feel like a rat, or a member of the rat race even if working at home...coz it's all about buying and selling with a mark/code or power node/network routers etc.......and once you plugged in...you plugged in...whether at home or at the corporate office park...grid lockdown either way...

maybe it's coz there are less jobs in USA now?

To think that up to 72% of flesh in the US is thinking about trading online for thier "dream job" illustrates how the electronic tracking and tracing era is dawning...

Yip, those who must plug in must plug in, whether at home or at office...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The part that I love in that story is "thinking about." That's where making more money ends for most people.

Almost everyone is dissatisfied with what they are earning anyway. Somewhere along the line there was a survey that asked whether you wanted to make more money, and then asked how much more you wanted to make. The average response was 10% more than they were currently earning, regardless of how much they were currently earning.

Having an itch is one thing. Getting up and actually doing something about it is something completely different.

Thanks
    A home based business can be very rewarding; it can also be a challenge for some people to get organized and discipline themselves to manage their time effectively. It is easy to get caught up in all the distractions that exist during the day at home. To be successful we really have to think of it as a job and schedule our time, and then be productive during the time that we have scheduled.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The part that I love in that story is "thinking about." That's where making more money ends for most people.

Almost everyone is dissatisfied with what they are earning anyway. Somewhere along the line there was a survey that asked whether you wanted to make more money, and then asked how much more you wanted to make. The average response was 10% more than they were currently earning, regardless of how much they were currently earning.

Having an itch is one thing. Getting up and actually doing something about it is something completely different.
    you hit the nail on the head...been running a bussiness from home for 19 years...best choice i ever made and will stay here for the next 30...if you have children growing up and you run a bussiness from home it ceates a challenge...having the disipline to actually work is the most difficult part...and having my fishing rods as a feature in my office just makes it even harder

one thing people mistake about running a bussiness from anywhere...is the thought the they will get rich...you might strike it lucky but with stats...
    like 50% will close in the first 5 years and only 5 % will only be operating after 10 years...

i have seen many companies start and close in the time i have had my company...not one is still owed and run by the same person that started it.

what i have noticed over the years is how a father will start a company run it for many years build up a good reputation then let the sons take over...and within a few years the company is bankrupt and closed down.

i have noticed the father runs the comapany...builds up a good foundation and capital...the son takes over and then you suddenly see new fancy cars...houses etc etc and comments like...i dont know why the ballie doesnt spent his hard earned cash....and i am talking about big comapnies which started with nothing.

the best advice i can give anyone start out...expect the worste and if it becomes easy...know the hard times are coming...make provision for them...and dont forget to pay your taxes...

and dont let your comapny destroy your family...too many people try spend their lives making money for their family and end up loosing the family becuase of the money...a hard lesson i have learnt in my life...

i have been blessed with a new born 18 months ago and nothing will sepearte us not even a 100 million rand contract.

i see so many people start comapnies come into the wholesaler with brand new 4x4s spending like there is no tomorrow...when i ask the sales guy what happened to them...always the same story...they owe us lots of money.

big contracts mean big turnover...but it also means big bang when you fall.

something else which has taken many years to realise in my life is the satisfaction you get from giving to people less fortunate than yourself...far out ways the satisfaction you get from buying material objects no matter how much it costs...i dont want to become rich and powerfull...i want to become more humble as i grow older...

i would rather be a poor happy man with a loving family and a small group of friends than a lonely rich unhappy man with lots of aquaintences who feed off my money...

6. Thank given for this post:

BusFact (05-Jul-10), Dave A (05-Jul-10), daveob (06-Jul-10), Frankincense (12-Jul-10)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I see the world as you do. I agree fully with all the views you express Murdock.