Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The state of education in our schools

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Are you having us on?

Is this possibly a test to see just how ready most of us are to believe the negative?

Sadly, one sometimes has to suspend logic, as our reality is simply unbelievable.

Yvonne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2008 matric, Debbie?

Gold Member
    Thanks
    No jokes, 2008 matric, my kid will more than likely have to write again!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Warm up the lawyers...

How is this possible? Are any other kids from the same school affected?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    No jokes, 2008 matric, my kid will more than likely have to write again!
    Debbie,
    That is devastating any chance of writing supplementaries?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Yes to both Dave and Ian.

Sadly this is not the only horror story I have heard/experienced. Apart from kids getting to an examination center (mine) and being tested on books that were not prescribed - subject, Afrikaans voorgeskrewe! English kids (mine) arriving for their IT practical and the questions being in Afrikaans!

My rep had her kid doing matric at one of the most trusted colleges in Cape Town. The examination board simply forgot to use ANY of their year marks and all the certificates were issued with marks approximately 15% below those actually obtained. Luckily for them some wise sole picked this up, these kids still don't have their results.

Want more? One of the maths question papers had so many errors on it (can't remember if this was finals or prelims, I think prelims) that an entire folio and a half of amendments were made. This was at a private school (but national government paper) where the teachers took the time to read the paper and were able to do the amendments for the kids - what do you think happened in the schools where the teachers were not as skilled or dedicated?

These little bits and pieces come from the 20 to 30 odd matrics I personally have been in contact with, only because this is the age of my own kid. But we are talking about 3 or 4 different schools and institutions. Makes a person think doesn't it.

Not to mention the constant adjustment of marks.

The upshot of this is that a very select few out there, who have been mostly in private schools and sheltered from the chaos that has followed this particular year of child around, have any faith or respect for the system. From grade 1 they have been guinea pigs. The teaching methodologies have been confusing and inadequate for a large part of their school careers.

For example: With outcomes based education a HUGE amount of your content relies on research. Great for my kid - we have ADSL, WE taught him to google, gave FULL internet access from age of 7. Let's get real and compare this privilege to the rest of the kids in SA?

I was fortunate to have attended university. I could see and pick up faulty logic and teach my kids alternatives. Our household is one where knowledge is revered. This is not even a remote possibility in most South African households - the system has failed them, as OBE needed adult guidance and that guidance has not been there for the 2008 matrics. Yes for the private schools, yes for some of the better government schools, NO for the average government schools.

It got to the point where I suggested to my child that he make a choice between necessarily wanting good marks, or in fact wanting correct work and theory!! The syllabus required that a grade 9 pupil should make a deck chair with a load bearing weight of 160 kg - granted, ALL the grade 9 pupils who have carpentry workshops, industrial strength sewing machines and approximately R400 for materials could do this one, but approximately 99,999999% of the kids could not.

University todays prefer that the kids do NOT have an accounting background for admission to BCOM. Ask yourself why.

I could continue for ever. Fact is that I now have no respect for that little piece of paper called a matric certificate and this is very sad as quite a few of the kids in our circle came out of the finals with a number of distinctions. My first thought? What does it all mean?
    Regards

Debbie

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

7. Thanks given for this post:

duncan drennan (18-Jan-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Debbie, any success? So very sorry this is happening to your daughter, I hope it gets sorted out fairly!

Yvonne

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Hi Yvonne - Thank you for your concern. I have had no luck as yet - this Monday I will be on it, but the amount of time expended to get nowhere is scary. Even sadder, it is my son, who his entire life has not ever done anything twice. Would not colour in as a youngster because it was a waste of time, after all the picture has been drawn. If teachers asked for rough draft he wouldn't do it, as he doesn't repeat things. Even gets irritated if someone asks "are you sure?" after he has refused tea or coffee....I doubt that he will rewrite - not unless there is a miracle between now and then...please pray for one.

I am truly devastated by this. The only fact established is that he is not alone, there are other children out there in the same situation!!!!
    Regards

Debbie

www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedle View Post
    I doubt that he will rewrite
    It seems a bit silly for him to punish himself for someone else's mistake.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Your son must keep in mind the question, What is in my own best interest in the long run? The unfairness and frustration of wanting to refuse to write again is understandable.

Personally, sometimes a evangelical - "positive" person will say - search for the benefit -which I generally find exceptionally frustrating!
    but over time I have found it helps enormously!

Try to help him find some "positive" humor in rewriting! really tough one I know.
    He has been exceptionally fortunate in life to have had such a nuturing educational background.

We need to revive the old expression - Vasbyt!
    for so many issues affecting our "State of the Nation"

Yvonne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast