Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning - Never say that you are selling your laptop while its in the vicinity.

Thanks

Warning - Never say that you are selling your laptop while its in the vicinity.

I've made this blunder for the second time now.

A couple of years ago i bought a laptop from TINY while in the UK.
    6 months later when i'm back home i decided to sell it and it overheard me because the next day the backlight of the screen failed.

Now, right when i'm about to sell my Fujitsu Siemens M3438G the processor is giving me a headache.

Its a 1.73Ghz CPU and normally after disconnecting from the mains it is cut back to 797Mhz.

But its stuck at 797Mhz and i can't get it back up to the full speed.
    I've disabled the Power Saving feature in the bios that slows it down when its on battery power. - Didn't help.

Its been formatted and restored to factory default so this is not Windows throwing a fit.

I've been offered R 6000 for it so i'd rather sell it than dump it.

Any ideas anyone??
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I'm not the only one with a theory that negative vibes are harmful to the correct function of some computers.

Have you checked for driver updates or contacted support on the Fujitsi Siemens website. I know I've solved a few glitches that way before.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Have you checked for driver updates or contacted support on the Fujitsi Siemens website. I know I've solved a few glitches that way before.
    I've contacted them the 20th December. Still haven't heard anything. It might be a bad time, over Christmas and all, I'll wait for another week & see what happens.

It just pisses me off when these major companies sell their "great" products but when something goes wrong their support is non existent.

I'm not talking about the laptop, as its been great the past four years and probably nears the end of its useful life, but rather the HP L7680.

The first month after i bought it, it seemed like the best there is. BUT ONLY FOR THE FIRST MONTH.
    Now little over a year later I'm using my fourth REPLACEMENT printer as well as my tenth printhead.
    According to HP this printer has a lower cost per page than laser printers.
    But after every 1200 pages you need to change the printheads, and they cost R 450. That alone costs you about R 0.75 per page. But whats worse is I've been though nine printheads and i've only printed 4900 pages. Thats 540 pages per printhead.yeah theres some fine print for you.

I'm considering suing them but i know that doing so would be just as big a waste of time as trying to get any support from them.( it took them three months in replacing a brand new printhead that couldn't even print one page)

I've vowed to never buy a HP product ever again. Understandably.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find the biggest problem with HP in South Africa is they outsource their support, and their support "partners" have really not being up to standard. Parts cost much the same as the entire printer, at least when it comes to laser. And let's not even get into the cost of consumables of late.

HP seems to have refined the art of the disposable printer.

Thanks
    In my quest for finding a great laser printer i stumbled upon this site
    http://store.apple.com/dk/product/TN...mco=MjMyODMyNA

The HP L7680 has a monthly duty cycle of 7500. HIGHLY IMPROBABLE

Speed/monthly volume
    # Print speed, black (draft quality mode): Up to 35 ppm
    # Print speed, color (draft color mode): Up to 34 ppm
    # Monthly duty cycle: Up to 7500 pages
    # Processor speed: 192 MHz

Thanks
    I'm busy with a couple of reveiws but it looks like this one will be my next printer.
    Brother MFC-7840W
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2324632,00.asp

I only hope that its available in SA.

Thanks
    Is it possible that a virus or some other type of thingamajig could mess around with your multiplier of your CPU?
    I DL CPU-Z to try to find out what the problem is with my laptop, just for a test i tried it on my desktop and some strange things happened.
    It shows that my multiplier is 6 with a speed of 1197mhz but every 5 - 20 seconds is jumps to a multiplier of 11 and a speed of 2194 (where it supposed to be) for a second before falling back.

The weird thing is that windows still register a 2194mhz even though cpu-z doesn't.
    This is the first time i used cpu-z so i'm not sure whether that is normal but since overclockers use the prog to have a look at their true speed i doubt that it is.

I haven't tested it on the laptop yet, will do in a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU-Z 1.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CPU-Z 2.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows E4500.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	643  

Thanks
    Got it.
    Its got to do with the CPU's Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology
    Meaning that activities that isn't CPU intensive cause the processor to use a lower multiplier causing a lower power consumption.

I did a bench test and it went up to X11 and stayed there until i terminated the program.

Going to test my laptop now.

Thanks
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production.
    Got it from their website.

Thanks
    Does anyone own the E8400 or E8500 CPU?
    I'm going to build myself a new PC that has to last 3 - 5 years and at first i wanted the Q6600 but since its over 3 years old and not many apps and games make use of all four cores (the only software that does make use of all four at the moment is photo shop software) I'd rather opt for the E8 series.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast