Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Warning - Never say that you are selling your laptop while its in the vicinity.

Thanks
    hahaha, I can appreciate what you say there Francois. I also enjoy the feeling of overclocking my components. especially when a game is getting a bit offish, but then you overclock and she runs smooth.

when I said don't touch the CPU, I should have been more specific. I'd advise against overclocking when the CPU and the motherboard share the same FSB. learnt it the hard way through blue screens a plenty (nvidia 680i LT mobo, 2.66GHz Core2Duo) and thinking about it now, it feels like a kind of "no duh". kinda sucks when I've got OCZ memory at 800MHz BEGGING to be pushed to 1066, so all I could do is change the timings. now that I think about it, maybe I can push my board's FSB up to allow the extra glory... anyway, as you said, it's a kind of science. tweak this, change that, make that slider go to the end of its limits and you've got happiness

2. Thanks given for this post:

Frankincense (14-Jan-09)

Thanks
    Perhaps i should go with a quad. But not the Q66. Isn't it a bit old?
    A lot of people have the hots for vista, but i'd rather wait for win7.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    Perhaps i should go with a quad. But not the Q66. Isn't it a bit old?
    A lot of people have the hots for vista, but i'd rather wait for win7.
    you could do the whole vista thing... I do believe microsoft is doing an upgrade offer after a certain date (so you don't look like a complete nosh getting vista just as windows 7 comes out) but yeah, I agree with you on that one, save up some cash, maybe fork out for a new PC and windows 7 so that you can embrace the joy

Thanks
    The whole XP vs Vista war is similar to the PC vs Console thing.
    I find Vista a complete waste of money.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    The whole XP vs Vista war is similar to the PC vs Console thing.
    I find Vista a complete waste of money.
    okay, first thing's first.
    when did you first use vista?
    which version of vista did you use?
    what features of vista did you like/ dislike?
    did you use it for more than a month?

quite frankly, the 600 bucks extra I paid for vista ultimate were well spent. when xp pro was sitting at 1299 vs vista ultimate's 1899, I thought it was time to upgrade (considering i was getting a new PC at the tiime).

here's some of the stuff I enjoyed:

installation process was easy enough, proceeded to fill my PC with all the programs and whatever I usually use, did the updating, sorted. now usually with XP, as you install more programs, as the registry becomes more cluttered, heck, even as you use the PC, that time between logging in and general system stability (ie you can open your start menu, hit a program and it'll load up) gets longer and loonger and looooonger until you're sitting there waiting 5 minutes for your PC to get a hold of what it's doing. with vista it hasn't really changed. there is possibly an extra 3 seconds from when I first installed it.

the search bar that can be found anywhere. kills XP. if I know the general folder location, why do I need to click through a bunch of menus, or search the entire PC to find it? type in search criteria, wait 5 seconds, my file is there.

fresh interface. I don't care that it takes 30 meg for it. that's a drop in the ocean for something that looks visually stunning. We've come a long way from when you'd have a killer PC if it had 512MB ddr 400, so if you don't want to spend that little bit extra, who's really to blame. with XP. blue bar. blue bar. *yawn*

XP does have advantage with drivers. I'm okay to admit that. because I don't use that old dot matrix printer, and I don't use that old barcode scanner. anything I want to use is current.

as I've said on other forums, vista was the best thing microsoft did for itself. a system hated by the public? kinda knocks them off their pedestal a tad, doesn't it. naturally I will admit windows 7 is going to be better than vista. it's to be expected. but as for XP being a better system than vista, that's debateable.

as with consoles vs PC, it all depends what "game" you're playing.

Thanks
    XP is history Vista is current! All past, present & FUTURE Operating System's have thier issues, but who'd want to live in the past? The blessings of the future can only be realised by embracing that which is new. I love Vista and would probably love Win 7 too and whateva comes out after that...as it's all about moving on!!!

Comparing the difference of XP and Vista to Consoles vs PC's is probably the best thing you could have done: Consoles are for Kids or Humans who do not understand the intrinsic components' performance within the box's these machines come in! No console in Earth can compare to a Overclocked Clocked Quad Core + 2 Nvidia GTX295's in SLI with 4+ Gb Ram.(I would call that a PC - definite Gaming Rig - even with 1 GTX295, you'd still drop any console)

People who cannot afford a REAL gaming RIG would have to settle for those XBox & PS3 type thingy's and spend thier days attempting to defend thier performance by critisizing top end PC's as "way too expensive" or some other lame excuse to deny True Glory....and reality for that matter..Consoles are meant for the masses and that's why they are so cheap @ around R6000 max... vs a R25 000 PC....oh well...seek and ye shall find....suppose it's all relative to what has been revealed to you and what you want out of life....

Vista kills XP just like Gaming PC's kill Consoles.
    The War is Over!!!

Thanks
    What i meant with pc vs console is that some people prefer console to pc. There is a war going on on some of the forums.

To all of you who would like to convert me to vista i would like to say the following:
    If you were in my position would you go and buy vista?
    No seriously, with Win7 so close do i really need to waste sooo much money on something i don't like? and then buy win7 as well.
    Are you daft?

Perhaps we could set up a poll: Vista vs XP? How many users prefer XP to Vista?

Thanks
    hahaha, yup, you're a fanatic.

I don't know what the "real" PC vs console war is all about, all I can do is give my personal take on what's good on a console and what's good on a PC.

console is pretty constant, you don't suddenly change components. so that kinda hinders the growth of it in terms of graphics and the likes, where with a PC, you just upgrade components and move on. so as you said, if you've got the cash, you're sorted on the PC side.

however, that could also be seen to detract from the PC's general awesomeness. why buy something that needs constant upgrading when there's a good gaming alternative? as much as that 25k rig is awesome, it's also losing the plot. if we boil this down to gaming experience, I doubt anyone who owns a console is unhappy. after all, it is about the gaming, not about the money involved.

a console is dedicated to a lone purpose, whereas a PC is a multi-function tool. and, I think, that is where a lot of your argument will be.

in the end, people on a console are just as happy as people on a PC. heck, I can bet a few people have both, and swap between them without batting an eyelid. (I've got a PSP as well as my PC, and I get engaged in games on both of them)

in the end, games are designed for a system. what those games are doing is providing enjoyment and entertainment for those who are playing them. you don't NEED a R25000 PC to run games.

anywho PC vs Console in terms of hardware, PC will win.
    PC vs Console in gaming, is user preference.

Thanks
    What i meant with pc vs console is that some people prefer console to pc. There is a war going on on some of the forums.

To all of you who would like to convert me to vista i would like to say the following:
    If you were in my position would you go and buy vista?
    No seriously, with Win7 so close do i really need to waste sooo much money on something i don't like? and then buy win7 as well.
    Are you daft?

Perhaps we could set up a poll: Vista vs XP? How many users prefer XP to Vista?
    from my side, it's not that I'm trying to convert you to vista, it's that I'm tired of hearing "vista's crap." they did a test where they showed XP users who said vista was crap, and how they didn't like it all a new OS called "mojave." the feedback was almost all positive. then they told the people that it was actually vista they were looking at.

I can understand that home and basic, or whatever they are, are below par. but business and ultimate are pretty good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing that gets me about spending R25k on a PC rig is you could build it for almost half as much within a year later. Sometimes within 6-9 months.

On Vista - the relatively short life of it as the "latest and greatest" OS gives a clue, I think. Overall it's been a bomb.

Whether that is because of the rep from its pathetic home version, the bs about Vista ready hardware, the MS software like Office that came out at the same time and were also in pathetic bundles (not to mention the absence of a patch for people on the widely deployed Office 2003 that were suddenly getting files emailed to them they couldn't open), Nortons' AV that turned into the PC equivalent of Imodium because they tried (and failed) to come to terms with the Vista kernel.... It doesn't matter.

There are enough people who don't like Vista to make it a bomb.

I hope Windows 7 is going to live up to the hype/hope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234