Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning - Never say that you are selling your laptop while its in the vicinity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    BonaFide, i'm glad you agree that Francois' rig is a bit overkill. On the other hand, if i had money to burn, why not?

But since i don't i better stop my daydreaming.
    I suppose we are all different. I am a technophobe, but must admit that I will not pay inflated prices for hardware just to have the newest of the new, especially when there are more cost effective ways to get to similarly powerful systems - call me a penny pincher

Thanks
    oh well, might as well get into this.

dual core vs quad core, quad core is going to give horns, and in my opinion is a better investment over time due to its ability to keep up with the times (ie when we're running around with 128 -bit and so on...).so I agree and disagree with it not being used.

naturally with all new tech advancements they are going to expect ludicrous amounts of your hard earned money. so right now Intel is smiling with open hands saying "you want I7, you fork out for it." Personally I'll wait till the prices and the next set of chips come out (Intel have been quoted that the name "i7" will make sense once the next chipset comes out). still, having the threading (8 threads for the four cores vs your average quad core's 4 for four) that it offers is rather tasty.

I haven't touched vista home, but I run vista ultimate 32-bit. I have had quite a few bombings out (normally in the same place in fallout3), and so have my friends using XP, so that sounds more like a problem in the game, not the "huh? it worked on XP but not vista" crap (ie what I'm saying is it has been pretty solid).

as for overclocking, debatable topic. it helps in graphics, I've seen a good reaction in changing the CAS latency in my ram, as for the CPU, leave it alone. haven't tried AMD but my Intel screams "I hate you" louder than a tickle me emo doll.

I do play a fair few games, but as for the internet connection comment, I'll take it you consider gamer to equal online gamer. I've played a bit of warcraft 3 online, and considering "hax" *player has exited the game* is the most common approach when losing, I'll stick to lanning. at least then when someone acts like a little b*tch, we can all laugh at him in person.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    I'll stick to lanning. at least then when someone acts like a little b*tch, we can all laugh at him in person.

And if he's a cheater he should have darn fast legs too.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Is it possible to connect two switches together so that more could join the lan?

I've got a SMC 8 port switch and at the moment there are 6 guys that want to join our monthly get together. would it work if i connect another SMC 8 port switch to the existing one or do i have to buy a bigger one?

The SMC 8 is only about R 160 while the 16 port is R 450.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    yup yup. just get a crossover cable.

Reviewing other websites, I see if they both have uplinks you could also use a regular cable. so might as well try that as well. if I remember correctly my friend and I used a regular cable to get our 2 SMC gigabit switches chatting.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Loman (12-Jan-09)

Thanks
    If this works i can get three 8 port switches with a total of 20 usable ports for +- the same price of the 16 port.

Thanks
    If this works i can get three 8 port switches with a total of 20 usable ports for +- the same price of the 16 port.
    hmmm, that depends. if you're planning on going with 3x 100mbit 8 ports, I'd suggest going for the big boy. however, if you've got your eyes set on 1gbit switches, and your aim is gaming rather than sending files (I tend to be targeted at lans for my 700-odd GB of stuff), then 3 of those would be all good hooked up with a cable between each. 6 PCs going through a lone 100mbit cable is... well, it's sick and twisted.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If this works...
    It works alright. Better yet, the newer switches I've got hooked to our router automatically detects an uplink connection on port 1 if that is how the switch has been deployed. Don't even need the crossover cable.

On my older switches and hubs that had an uplink channel option, the uplink setting had to be made manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    6 PCs going through a lone 100mbit cable is... well, it's sick and twisted.
    At the end of the day all the machines in the game are connecting to the game host machine through one cable/port no matter how you spin it, surely.

Thanks
    Thanx. I've ordered one.

Thanks
    Loman, "XP beats Vista especially hard when it comes to gaming."...I would like to agree and disagree. Reason is, if you have the correct hardware(say a little Q6600 stock) and sufficient Ram and Vista 64Bit...it beats XP as your games runs 100% OK...and has a better feel to it being on a newer OS...granted it uses more resources... So it's a matter of perception

"Its a well known fact that gamers "don't" use XP if only because of the drop in performance."
    That statement woulda been true about a year or more ago, but now gamers are grabbing Q66's and other newer goodies in keeping up with the applications being released

"In fact you are the first gamer i know of who prefer to use Vista."
    Pleased to meet you. We are many and growing by the second!!!

"....since the only software currently making full use of four or more cores is photoshop software."
    I so have to disagree with you. Almost every single application I use utelises all 4 cores(maybe i just have a current mobo that arranges the distribution...who knows. Absolutely fantastic having 4 cores utelised by most (all) it seems software. Whether DVD/Multimedia, Games,... hell, even in idle state each core is twitching...

I'd definitely have to agree with Twinscythe, quad cores are more durable and a wiser investment.

Twinscythe, "...as for the CPU, leave it alone."

I've had so much fun tweaking the GHz on the Q66, I would so encourage Loman to have a ball playing with her....agreed he must just watch for cooking her, but the VMax is way towards 90Celcius, and can easily be OC'ed on a stock Intel fan should he desire a ride into the unknown...

I'd suggest the Q66 @ 2.4 GHz(They're about R2600) and if it slows down when running Crysis and other heavier applications, just open your FSB and Votage to get a decent 10% overclock if you feel to go 2.64 GHZ...then nothing will stand in your way..these are overclockable till 4GHZ+ (Stable)...if you're extreme...Yeah, consider as TwinScythe mentioned, adjust the timing setting lower on your RAM too...the 2 (RAM & CPU) work kinda hand in hand....just depends where on your rig you have bottlenecks..if you do.(let's ignore the Power supply/N,S-Bridge& RAM voltages)
    Windows Vista index performer will tell you exactely which components of your pc are having the lowest base score (I dont think XP even has a Perfomance Indexer?)

spunkybob123
    Posted Apr 7, 2008 2:49 am PT

Honestly... working in a computer shop as a tech and hearing alot of peoples opinons, the only people that complain about vista are the people who have computers that cant run it well.

My computer is not cutting edge except for my vid card (AMD X2 4600, 3GB DDR2, 8800GTX OC) and vista is awesome. So far i have only had 1 game not work and thats coz of starforce protection, might work with SP1 but i stopped caring. Im still getting 100+ FPS in games like HL2 and Dirt. DX10 is nice but crysis is boring as hell so i dont play it, Hellgate london looks pritty but i still run in DX9 mode coz its faster.

I still rekon all SP1 did was add 80ish + mb of windows protection to stop people using OEM exploits and stuff.(That's your temptation to pirate Loman)

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6188289/index.html

There are many of us who love Vista!!!..it's definitley a hardware issue

"Perhaps if you use XP as an OS instead of Vista you won't even need to overclock. By the way, on a system such as yours you don't need to overclock in the first place. You'll barely see a performance gain when playing games and stressing your components unnecessarily."
    True, but it's not out of neccessity.... and the difference is noticable...especially on OC'ing my CPU frequency as stock speed's @ 2.4...but I prefer running her around 2.7...but the thing is, OC'ing is more fun as a science than a neccessity...kinda like chipping your cab and branching the manifolds, or popping a turbo on a Huyabusa...if 330Km/h isn't enough...let's do 420Km/h...with all the tunnel vision, who can tell the difference?.....true?...we are all different...and I love stressing things for pleasure.

Linux, well, is for business, but Gamers will naturally remain on Microsoft..unless Linux enters the gaming market and overtakes it due to gaming compatibility issues on Linux....(An aquantance of mine hosts a Gigabyte 100 member Lan Party in halls around KZN and he agrees : Linux..not for gaming at this stage)

Oh well....trust you will decide wisely on your rig's components...as that will decide how happy you are with your software...not the other way round... and lastly, availability of cash will decide both of those....it's all good.
    Last edited by Frankincense; 13-Jan-09 at 06:42 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast