Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning - Never say that you are selling your laptop while its in the vicinity.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    # Monthly duty cycle: Up to 7500 pages
    I think when it comes to HP that duty cycle applies more to what would invalidate the warranty than what is a truly sustainable duty load. I've always considered the longest print run as the real measure of durability anyway - not a number that tends to be quoted in the stats.
    not many apps and games make use of all four cores
    My feeling is that software is still catching up with the progress of the hardware. But even a year is a long time in digital technology. I wouldn't be surprised if in 3-5 years you'll be struggling to run main stream apps without quad core machines.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if in 3-5 years you'll be struggling to run main stream apps without quad core machines.
    So is there a Quad core CPU that you would recommend? I really liked the Q6600 but i'm not sure that its the one to buy since its already over three years old.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Got a crystal ball?

Consider the Vista compatability fiasco for a moment. What works today is tomorrow's paperweight.

Thanks
    It seems that Vista is Microsoft's biggest blunder. (Except the Xbox 360 - They are getting sued soon) I hope Windows 7 isn't following the same route.

I can remember that when Microsoft released Vista Beta all the reviews were very positive and everyone couldn't wait for it to be released.
    Now we can't wait to get it off our PC's. What went wrong?

Another problem is DRM - Digital rights management.
    Because of that its not only cheaper and easier getting a pirated copy of whatever you want but its also stress free.
    For example, Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The person who buys it have to go through a whole process confirming that the software they bought isn't copied.
    Whereas the pirated one is as easy as install & play.

As far as I'm concerned DRM isn't stopping piracy, its encouraging it.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    I am an extreme Gamer and Respect Good software...runnin watercooled Rig with Q66 and Vista Ultimate 64 bit overclocked ...37" full hdtv Nvidia Graphics 8800 series shit, 8Gb ram...7.1 surround 'n other stuff all over..

Never had an issue with Vista Ultimate, coolest thing since XP...can't wait for XP to be outlawed!!!

Love it when XP'ers cant run stuff for Vista. Serves them right for resisting the 6Chan6ge6.

"As far as I'm concerned DRM isn't stopping piracy, its encouraging it" - DRM is compliance to those who have their 6int6ernet6 connection(any Gamer should have that, if not, they dont deserve the title) and an original software disk with a shiney plastic box with pictures on it to be unwrapped like a bride on the first night...

If you building a new rig....dont install XP. It will crack your registries' virginity...lay Vista/Win7 upon her from inception of her first post and your crystal ball will give you what you want...and only use purchased orginal software...(Yes you may need to register it online first - it's for your own Good)
    To quote: "Whereas the pirated one is as easy as install & play."...thank your God you don't ride a superbike....pirated parts Kill...logic will tell you even pirated software kills your Crystal Ball...ever tried to re-use a condom?

Oh well, leave out the E Duo's, and start a Quad or even i7 on an X58 Mobo.

Only run original stuff on your RIG....always use protection....viruses kill...

She'll run like a Crystal Ball!!!

Disable your Speedstep in Bios, Crank up the FSB and push up your fire(Voltages) to all your componenents, even RAM & Bridges with a serious effort on the cooling and watch your System Rock.

If you see smoke come out your chassis, start again, but replace hardware first.(seriously - do some research before tweaking BIOS specs)

"Overclock.net" is the site....

Happy overclocking
    Last edited by Frankincense; 08-Jan-09 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Francois, what you've got there is a Big Gun when lots of people are just trying to kill ants.

That said, I've got a notion Vista's bad rep (if we ignore the original processor chip issue) comes from the OEM Vista Home installed on so many off-the-shelf machines. When it comes to getting it to behave well on a peer-to-peer network, it's just not funny.

Then there is the "standard apps" issue. My favourite one: That Vista email program is the pits. More bugs there than in a sceptic tank.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Never had an issue with Vista Ultimate, coolest thing since XP...can't wait for XP to be outlawed!!!

Love it when XP'ers cant run stuff for Vista. Serves them right for resisting the 6Chan6ge6.
    Nice rig, but its well known that just by having vista installed
    on your system decreases performance on certain apps by as
    much as 40%. Google it, you'll find tons of reviews validating it.
    Like this one:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ta,1531-4.html
    XP beats Vista especially hard when it comes to gaming.
    Its a well known fact that gamers don't use XP if only because
    of the drop in performance. In fact you are the first gamer
    i know of who prefer to use Vista.

"As far as I'm concerned DRM isn't stopping piracy, its encouraging it" - DRM is compliance to those who have their 6int6ernet6 connection(any Gamer should have that, if not, they dont deserve the title) and an original software disk with a shiney plastic box with pictures on it to be unwrapped like a bride on the first night...

If you building a new rig....dont install XP. It will crack your registries' virginity...lay Vista/Win7 upon her from inception of her first post and your crystal ball will give you what you want...and only use purchased orginal software...(Yes you may need to register it online first - it's for your own Good)
    To quote: "Whereas the pirated one is as easy as install & play."...thank your God you don't ride a superbike....pirated parts Kill...logic will tell you even pirated software kills your Crystal Ball...ever tried to re-use a condom?
    I don't use pirated software, but just like anyone that
    had problems with some of the games like Half Life's horrible
    Steam Validation process, I was tempted.
    XP might have its flawes but its still a shining beacon of light
    compared to Vista.
    Personally i feel that spending more than R 10 000 on a pc
    is insane. Especially on a system that can't utilize its full
    potential since the only software currently making full use
    of four or more cores is photoshop software. Have a look
    at a comparison chart with the Core2Duo E8400 or E8500
    and compare that with your Q6600. You would see that on
    some applications and most games there isn't much of a
    gain in using the quad core.
    Even if there is a 120 core processor for the same price as
    a quad core i still won't buy it for the exact same reason
    i don't buy tampons. I CANT USE THEM.

Disable your Speedstep in Bios, Crank up the FSB and push up your fire(Voltages) to all your componenents, even RAM & Bridges with a serious effort on the cooling and watch your System Rock.
    Perhaps it you use XP as an OS instead of Vista you
    won't even need to overclock.
    By the way, on a system such as yours you don't
    need to overclock in the first place. You'll barely see
    a performance gain when playing games and stressing
    your components unnecessarily.
    How much gain in FPS do you have after overclocking?

The E6300 was a nice CPU to overclock for me, but
    my next PC will definitely have either the E8400 or E8500.
    Depending which one is on special first. (hey its tough times, ain't it?)
    Unless there are a lot of games and apps making full
    use of four or more cores shortly. Then I'll have another look.

BUT WHATEVER THE AMOUNT OF CORES IT MIGHT HAVE, I WILL STILL BE RUNNING XP UNTIL WINDOWS SEVEN ARRIVES.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    i don't buy tampons. I CANT USE THEM.
    Pretty relieved we at least got that one cleared up and out of the way

Thanks
    I am an extreme Gamer and Respect Good software...runnin watercooled Rig with Q66 and Vista Ultimate 64 bit overclocked ...37" full hdtv Nvidia Graphics 8800 series shit, 8Gb ram...7.1 surround 'n other stuff all over..

Only run original stuff on your RIG....always use protection....viruses kill...

She'll run like a Crystal Ball!!!

If you see smoke come out your chassis, start again, but replace hardware first.(seriously - do some research before tweaking BIOS specs)

"Overclock.net" is the site....

Happy overclocking
    Francois

I am in agreement with a few of your statements, but not with others.

I agree that pirating (be it software or bike parts) should never be considered. There is enough OS software in the market that is comparable to the propriety software offered to appease any person on a very tight budget or for the person who does not want to spend a cent. Whilst I do find much of the propriety software over-priced, they can only charge what the market is willing to pay. The more people who move away from PS, the sooner one will see their licensing drop.

In regards purchasing of hardware, I hardly think it is advisable to recommend forking out huge sums of money for a system based on the i7 CPU and X58 factor Mobo and ddr3 ram. There is so little software that is capable of using the potential power of such a set-up and add to that the current inflated pricing of such, it really does not make sense from a value for money perspective, The other area where Intel dropped the ball was the i7 not being backward upgrade compatible unlike the Phenom II which can still make use of DDR2 and the AM seried boards.

At present the E series CPU is in all probability the most cost effective upgrade solution for most end-users based on its over-clocking abilities (mobo dependent of course). Bear in mind that 80% of components are sold to endusers who do not need hugely powerful machines and who have no idea what OC'ing is.

I personally would go with the Q6600 (which you yourself have) as it can reside on most standard mobo's and is a very capable CPU. Well priced and benefits will be reaped when more software companies release their QC specified volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Francois, what you've got there is a Big Gun when lots of people are just trying to kill ants.

That said, I've got a notion Vista's bad rep (if we ignore the original processor chip issue) comes from the OEM Vista Home installed on so many off-the-shelf machines. When it comes to getting it to behave well on a peer-to-peer network, it's just not funny.

Then there is the "standard apps" issue. My favourite one: That Vista email program is the pits. More bugs there than in a sceptic tank.
    Vista was a disaster, especially on the OEM machines. The number of downgrades I performed for clients to XP are too numerous to mention, but suffice to say that the Vista entry level product is rubbish.

Having said that the Business and Ultimate versions are very capable OS's, but do require a little tweaking to get it to run smoothly, but then that is why companies like us are in business as we can smooth the transition

It looks like Windoze 7 is going to be a good replacement, but we all know how wrong things can go from RC and Beta versions of software. Must admit have found a few glitches, but it has a lot of improvements over Vista.

I still believe taht the way forward is Linux based systems, but the cross compatibility issues in terms of software is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved. I cannot for the life of me understand why the PS developers have not started writing the code for their software to run on Linux based systems, but that is another discussion entirely.

This thread seems to have been derailed slightly

Thanks
    BonaFide, i'm glad you agree that Francois' rig is a bit overkill. On the other hand, if i had money to burn, why not?

But since i don't i better stop my daydreaming.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast