Thread: Shopping tips for the festive season

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shopping tips for the festive season

This is the spending season, but most of us don't have much money to spend. High interest rates, high prices and global meltdown mean there is less in our pockets to splurge. The good news is that most people are in the same boat, so cutting back won't make you feel like a scrooge. But the most important rule this season is not to let your debt climb. Get moneywise and use clever ways to stay within budget.

Budget: You can't live within your means if you don't know what those means are. Work out how much you can spend on gifts and entertainment.

Read the rest of Maya Fischer-French's tips for festive shopping here.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Morticia (09-Dec-08)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I cannot agree more with what she is saying. All of us find it very difficult not to spend on our credit cards.
    The banks are also contributing towards this. I received an sms on Friday from the bank to tell me not to fear as I have another R16K to spend on my credit card.
    Fortunately I am very disciplined with the card as I only buy certain things with the card and pay very month and on time.
    Thanks to Dave for the link as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is some more festive season "cash diet" advice.
    Most of us will start the new year feeling like we have overindulged. Our bodies will show the effects of too many mince pies and festive drinking while our finances will be looking the worse for wear as we swiped our plastic one too many times.

Often the overspending and the resulting debt can make us feel so miserable that we tend to continue the eating and drinking spree, hoping to drown our sorrows. So for both our health and bank balances, let's make 2009 the year we start with a healthy balance sheet.

Appreciation
    According to Linda Smith, financial coach and author of Financial Freedom Abundance Diary, the key to surviving the festive season is to have a positive attitude and a plan of action. The plan will enable you to make informed decisions about what you can and cannot spend this holiday.

By having a healthy and positive attitude, you will find that sticking to your budget will give you a sense of control and achievement rather than a feeling of despondency that you couldn't have it all. Smith says human nature is such that whether we have R10 000 or R50 000, we will always wish we had more money. Appreciating what you have is the first step to financial wellbeing and also reflects the spirit of this holiday season.
    full story from M&G here
    Quite a few more good tips in that story, but overall I really like the idea of being positive and developing a plan.

Thanks

And the plan is....

being positive and developing a plan
    I like it lot too. Very PC of you.

Ok - on more serious note - heres the one and only plan for financial planning during the holiday season:-
    1. Take wallet or purse out
    2. Open it up
    3. Remove credit cards
    4. ALL OF THEM
    5. Put them in a very safe place where no one can find them - not even you
    6. Put wallet purse back in pocket
    7. Go Shopping
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

6. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (16-Dec-08), Morticia (17-Dec-08)