Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bus subsidy from Dept. of Transport

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bus subsidy from Dept. of Transport

This story raises some questions in my mind. Like what is this bus subsidy all about?
    And is this the unpaid portion that all the fuss is about?
    The South African Bus Operators' Association (Saboa) will be filing papers against the Transport Department if it fails to come up with a R1,2-billion bus subsidy, it was announced on Monday.

"I can confirm instructions that we have been advising Saboa, in relation to the bus-subsidy matter," said director Robin Carr from Bowman Gilfillan attorneys.

According to Saboa vice-president Adolph Komane, millions of bus passengers across South Africa may be left without public transport should the subsidy not come through.

He said almost three million passenger trips and a total of 1,5-million passengers will be affected each day if subsidies are not paid out.
    full story from M&G here
    And then there is the value. By my maths that claim works out at R800 per passenger being ferried back and forth.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE: Apparently it is money owed on an existing subsidy, the Dept. of Transport is over budget and hasn't got the money to pay.

Or put another way, they've got to make a special request for additional funds to be able to pay out.

That R800.00 per passenger has still got me thinking though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That R800.00 per passenger has still got me thinking though.
    R2.20/day (if the R800 is over a year)...what exactly has is got you thinking?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Would the subsidy be payable annually?

Thanks
    Well, there is the crunch. What are the terms of the subsidy? Annual, or maybe it is linked to the contract term (e.g. R1.2bil for a 5 year contract)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Dunno - that's why I'm asking.

All I do know is that subsidies have a knack of producing unexpected, undesirable side-effects. I'm trying to get a handle on the scale of the perversion potential.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    All I do know is that subsidies have a knack of producing unexpected, undesirable side-effects. I'm trying to get a handle on the scale of the perversion potential.
    Someone needs to tell that to the American government and motor industry - oh, whoops, didn't the president mention some concerns?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In similar vein - look at food subsidies and their effect on nations which don't have a food subsidy system in place. I recall the argument being made somewhere that European food related subsidies in particular are contributing to food production problems in Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    This is going to be interesting.
    A court order forcing government to pay about R300-million towards its outstanding bus subsidy payments was only an interim solution, the South African Transport and Allied Workers' Union (Satawu) said on Thursday.

"We're happy as an interim measure but to be honest we need a permanent solution," said Satawu's policy research officer Jane Barrett.

Barrett was speaking outside the Pretoria High Court after it ruled that the Gauteng transport department had until noon on Friday to pay about R300-million to the South African Bus Operators' Association (Saboa).

This amount was for subsidies for November 2008.

The application for payments for December, January, February and March would be heard next Wednesday.

The full amount outstanding to Saboa in Gauteng is about R1,2-billion.
    full story from M&G here
    The crux of the problem seems to be the Department of Transport is over budget and treasury is not releasing additional funds.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The bus subsidies were put under to spotlight years ago, and then discussion just "Vanished". At the time there were hints of questionable irregularities.
    I thought the subsidies were history when ""Putco" downsized!
    I used to know someone who worked for Putco, she said at the time that the business of Putco was not transporting but subsidies!
    All companies who receive subsidies should be forced to a public enquiry with full disclosure of their financials.

Could this be considered a "forced" bail out and support of one industry over all the others?

The increased fuel price has affected every business in South Africa to some degree.

Subsidies never ever work, there are always more negative factors that positives.
    How come we don't take lessons from history, but we repeat them and dream of a different outcome.

My sense watching the interviews last night was: "We don't care where the money comes from", just pay it or else!

I too have questions with the calculations?

Heard or read something really interesting the other day, and now cannot find it, so this is hearsay!
    Regarding the strength of the "Taxi" industry and a comment was made that the taxi industry had no concerns about "Rail" taking a slice of the cake for 2010, but the bus industry could.
    And then a discussion about the number of drivers which would need to be trained between now and 2010, which was not happening!

Will the added costs of transporting during 2010 have added cost to South Africa for subsidies if buses are used?

Wheels with wheels?

Yvonne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast