Poll: Do you confuse COPE with the ANC?

Thread: Are you likely to confuse COPE with the ANC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you likely to confuse COPE with the ANC?

The ANC won't leave COPE alone.
    The African National Congress (ANC) has filed an urgent high court application to stop a breakaway movement from using the name Congress of the People (Cope), Cope's attorney, Deon Bouwer, confirmed on Wednesday.

He said the ANC had asked the head of the Pretoria High Court, Judge Jerry Shongwe, for a hearing in the week of December 8 to 12, only days ahead of Cope's Bloemfontein founding conference.

Bouwer said the ANC had also joined the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) as a respondent, seeking to prevent it from registering Cope as a party name.

He said the ANC had abandoned its claim that it held the sole right to the use of Congress of the People on the basis of its involvement in the 1955 gathering at Kliptown.

Now it was arguing that the name would lead to confusion between parties.
    full story from M&G here
    So let's see then - Are you likely to confuse the name COPE with the ANC?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So let's see then - Are you likely to confuse the name COPE with the ANC?
    Oh, and don't forget that the Nguni translation of ANC is "khongolese" which means congress. Nguni? That is not even an official language of South Africa....

I don't think they are doing this to insult anyone's intelligence, but rather to try and sap COPE's energy with court battles. The ANC knows all about how to drag something out in court.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

3. Thanks given for this post:

Chatmaster (27-Nov-08)

Thanks
    With you on this Duncan. The ANC just want to play COPE in such a way that they loose focus on the real goal they have. To be honest, they are actually doing COPE a favor imo, COPE is receiving more publicity because of this issue, so I do not think COPE really minds their attempts.

I honestly think COPE is hurting the ANC much more than the ANC anticipated, COPE is receiving support from all cultures and races, something the ANC have been unable to do and I doubt they will be able to do so. A further concern that the ANC should have is the real possibility of them loosing government completely. If COPE finds enough support in next years election to warrant the DA, ID, IFP and some of the other parties to actually consider a coalition with them, we might see a COPE president of South Africa. That would certainly cause a major upset. I do not think it would happen though but it is the best possibility of it to happen since 1994. At the very least the ANC will not have majority rule any more and that in itself will make a world of difference. (I hope)
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    The 'pangas' are being sharpened to cut the ears off those that don't listen before the election.

COPe is just a disenfranchised splinter (maybe large) of the ANC and after the election will negotiate it's lump of butter to settle it's ar$& into with the ANC

I don't have any faith in wasting my vote on them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My opinion:

Given that keeping real issues fuzzy is probably the best strategy for the ANC for the upcoming election, I suspect COPE is going to be manna from heaven for the ANC.

If anyone asks any awkward questions about recent past performance - well, that's the COPE crew's fault and they're not with the party any more, are they?

The confusion problem is going to remain no matter what name this breakaway group adopts or has forced upon them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    My opinion:

If anyone asks any awkward questions about recent past performance - well, that's the COPE crew's fault and they're not with the party any more, are they?
    Methinks this is a logical argument that firstly will not stick and secondly...well its logical so therefore not applicable to these characters.

COPE/ANC = Political Confusion I don't think so, Its all political BS.

Political Confusion - hey whats the opposite of an oxymoron...mmmm.. a double negative in this case......or ok how about a new word I just learnt..tautology or another.... pleonasm.

This political hooha is all just a drama queen show run by a bunch of misfits and snivelling poltroons who have managed to hijack the country and led the sheeple into believing that they actual need them there to save us all. When is one of them actually going to do stuff that we need?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com