Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should be a "blue light" emergency?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

What should be a "blue light" emergency?

It seems to come up on a regular basis - Traffic incidents and accidents arising from the VIP protection unit.

As background, extracts from a report on the latest incident:
    Public anger mounted on Sunday amid opposition party calls for resignations regarding KwaZulu-Natal's latest "blue light" incident.

Scathing criticism has come after an accident on Saturday in which eight people were injured on the N3 near Pietermaritzburg.

A police officer sent to fetch social welfare MEC Meshack Radebe allegedly shot at the tyre of a Mazda sedan for failing to move out of the fast lane.

The officer was apparently a passenger in a black Volkswagen Golf with flashing blue lights.

The Mazda, carrying five passengers, collided head-on with a bakkie carrying seven people.

Cele, the transport, community safety and liaison MEC, said the shooting was irresponsible and that Radebe had turned in the errant officer.

"Yesterday's accident could have been avoided if the drivers could 'just do right'. As the government it is our duty to defend the law of the land, hence we cannot tolerate irresponsible behaviour from anyone."

Cele urged people to respect and protect the law, including police officers. He said it was legal for blue lights to be used but that police "can't reach the level where they take the law into their own hands".
    full story from IOL here
    OK. So the VIP unit was going out to collect the MEC. So why the "blue light" rush?

Was this really a blue light emergency that deserves general road traffic to give priority?

Thanks
    I always thought that a blue light emergency was when the front row at a Bles Bridges concert didn't pitch.

Seems I was wrong - it's now where the mec is being rushed to the front row of the show cause as usual he is late and the show will go on without him.

I just wish these employees would realise their arrogance and take this nonsense out of the system and retain blue light emergencies for proper police work.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    I just wish these employees would realise their arrogance and take this nonsense out of the system and retain blue light emergencies for proper police work.
    - which is..????

Thanks
    I have a whole bunch of questions which arise out of this incident:

1. Why does a police officer have to be sent to collect an MEC? Is this a normal privilege of being an MEC?
    2. Does this MEC have his driving license?
    3. What possesses someone who knows they are going to collect an MEC (blue lights or not) to shoot out another car's tyre? Too many action movies?
    4. Where does the precedent of using blue lights to go pick up a politician come from?
    5. Why should any politicians (other than the president - maybe) have a motorcade/driver/bodyguard?
    6. Who puts pressure on the police to respond in this manner to baby sitting politicians? What is the chain of accountability in this event?
    7. In this case, why does Cele appear to lay the blame at the foot of the motorist who was in the way?
    8. Why didn't the motorist get out of the way of the vehicle? What if they had been trying to attend to an emergency? How would they feel if no one moved for the ambulance that was coming to help them?

We have a problem with respect for the law at all levels of our society - politicians, police and people on the street (i.e. you and me) - and that needs to be addressed. Flaunting the law is currently a national sport.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    which is..????
    • Getting to crime scenes in a rush.
    • Responding to flying squad type stuff.
    • Getting to real emergency situations in a hurry.
    • Ensuring ambulances and fire engines get to the emergencies quickly

Without destroying the other traffic users in the process.

What on earth can a mec or any politician be doing that constitutes a blue light emergency situation. If they are late for a meeting, its because they did not plan properly. Are people being forced off the road to make way for an incompetent who cannot keep time or believe that their time is more important than the rest of us have. This is sheer arrogance and flouting of a position that they have been entrusted to by giving the people who put them there the finger. They have no need to be at a breakdown point and should leave the emergency services and experts to their functions not creating further complications in the process.

There now I have gone and got all excited on a quiet Monday afternoon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    IMHO going to collect an MEC does not constitute a life threatening emergency. If said MEC was pinned down in his palace under gunfire from bandits or unhappy ordinary citizens, different story. At best, this rush was as a result of bad planning. More likely yet another ego trip running out of control.

Whatever happened to being fashionably late?
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    We have a problem with respect for the law at all levels of our society - politicians, police and people on the street (i.e. you and me) - and that needs to be addressed. Flaunting the law is currently a national sport.
    When ordinary citizens see their leaders flaunting the law and showing no consideration for the rights of others, can we be surprised?
    • Getting to crime scenes in a rush.
    • Responding to flying squad type stuff.
    • Getting to real emergency situations in a hurry.
    • Ensuring ambulances and fire engines get to the emergencies quickly

Without destroying the other traffic users in the process.

There now I have gone and got all excited on a quiet Monday afternoon.
    Just had to shake you out of that weekend lethargy somehow

I was thinking - maybe the VIP protection unit should get their own light colour - I was thinking maybe royal purple - so that we know not only to leap over to the side of the road immediately and without hesitation for fear of being shot at, but also to bow and scrape as they fly past.

Oh damn, bad idea. Someone might prefer to spit at them instead

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Before someone comes up with this, let's not go out blocking blue light traffic...

There are such things as genuine emergencies.

Thanks
    the big question is what are you gona do about?
    Ah - a challenge - you first Murdock.

I see Dave went the blue light angle. I went the politician angle. Just take them out of the equation and no blue light needed.

• Vote for politicians to stay at home, leave us all alone and let the world right itself from this current economic crisis and crime crises and any other crisis created by them.
    • Ban black cars from using roads.
    • Get COPE to list this as a source of aggravation for the people that needs to be addressed. (I suppose with Lekota asking for protection will not realise this goal)
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    i was a visiting friend in new germany on wed. afternoon... it so happened that when i left 3 X5 all black with blue lights were pulling out of a driveway...a police officer stepped in to the road and stopped the traffic...i ended up behind them all the way till knowles centre watching them drive like absolute A holes all over the road...well i must say i am impressed with the public not one person made any effort to move out their way...by the time i got to the M7 they were still wedged in the traffic in front of knowles...well done to all those people blocked the way...now they are becoming real easy targets...stuck in the traffic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    well i must say i am impressed with the public not one person made any effort to move out their way...by the time i got to the M7 they were still wedged in the traffic in front of knowles...well done to all those people blocked the way...now they are becoming real easy targets...stuck in the traffic.
    This attitude really doesn't help. Blocking vehicles using emergency lights (whether for valid reasons or not) potentially puts other peoples lives at risk.

Yes, there is clearly abuse of "blue lights" (lots of reports of this from KZN...) Yes it is a royal PITA. No, that does not justify blocking vehicles.

Blocking vehicles just makes the situation worse, encourages even more use of blue lights, frustrates the drivers, and leads to situations that could endanger peoples lives. What if there is a genuine emergency?

The only way to fix this is to report abuse and get these people out of the government.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast