Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seacom has already affected broadband pricing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garthu View Post
    Neotel is OK... but just OK. The promise of 1m/s or 800k/s (i think it was) is far off. get excited when i get i get speeds of 100k/s (not often) more often around 30-40k/s. Still better than what you have Loman, maybe, but be very cautious if the signal strengh is medium or low. When i use it in low signal i get frustrated and generally give up with it - although the calls are ok. I gave up iburst for neotel which i didn't regret. Something else is to wifi it there is not network socket so have to network through a pc to wi/fi. WOW does it get tempremental then! (but then i'm not a pc wiz either) Much as i hate to openly admit, still love a good fashioned adsl 512 or 1m connection - as long as it doesn't need repair!
    As experienced by many of the people who have signed up for their services. At present there really is not much to get excited about with Neotel, but by the same token they have the inenviable task of rolling out a national network to as many people as possible who want to switch from Telkom. This in itself is not an excuse for bad service or for a product that does not live up to expectations. There are many that believe that the CDMA2000 protocol that they chose was not the wisest choice as it is a technology coming to the end of its lifespan.

But then there are many who believe that WIMAX is over rated, so what are the options? In terms of their handsets they made a HUGE blunder in bringing out handsets with no RJ45 (ethernet) port for networking and even worse was the fact that when you made a call it interrupted the internet connection (aproblem one would not experience with ADSL for instance or for that matter iBurst - although their product leaves much to be desired in its own right). They have however attempted to rectify this with a new router (WIFI and wired) and handset that is in the offing, but as they say, why bother closing the stable door when the horse has bolted - there are many that already view Neotel in the same light as Telkom.

Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    Noooooo, why does this keep happening to me? I can't go through that again.
    I should probably get the fudge out of the "rural and outlaying areas", its so depressing.
    Not just you. There are many in the rurual and outlying areas that NEED broadband. The company that does well is the company that concentrates on these areas with reasonably priced products.

Have you contacted Telkom in respects of their WIMAX or 3G (cheaper than VC or MTN) products to see if they do cover your area?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BonaFide View Post
    Not just you. There are many in the rurual and outlying areas that NEED broadband. The company that does well is the company that concentrates on these areas with reasonably priced products.

Have you contacted Telkom in respects of their WIMAX or 3G (cheaper than VC or MTN) products to see if they do cover your area?
    No 3G, only Edge. WIMAX??? How does that work? It doesn't really matter cos we probably don't have it anyway.
    The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loman View Post
    No 3G, only Edge. WIMAX??? How does that work? It doesn't really matter cos we probably don't have it anyway.
    WIMAX technology is being rolled out by Telkom, Neotel (when they deem it time to do so), iBurst/Vodacom (waaaa.......aaaay over priced). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX Give Telkom a buzz and see if they cover you. Speeds up to 512kbps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12