Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Dish Clarification

Thanks
    The scenario you raise with the satalite dish is an interesting one. One of the ammendments to the 10142 electrical regs had the requirement that every installation have an earth terminal specifically for use by other contractors and installed in such a way that allows access without entry into the DB. If the electrical installation is certified up to or beyond the date when amdt6 was introduced then I'd say the TV installer can install the earth because the earth terminal that's remote from the DB accomodates this.

6.11.5 A readily accessible earthing terminal shall be provided for the
    bonding of other services such as a telephone, an audio system, a video, and
    the like, to a building. Such an earthing terminal shall be bonded to the
    consumer’s earth terminal by a conductor of at least 6 mm2 copper or
    equivalent, and shall be identified by the earth symbol (Amdt 6)
    NOTE Providers of services other than the electrical power services should not access
    the distribution board or other parts of the electrical installation.

If a TV installer fits a satalite dish then runs and terminates a suitable earth wire from the earth terminal that's specifically provided for him as per amdt6, he wouldn't be expected to have the test equipment or competence to run impedance tests on this earth and wouldn't be able to issue a certificate of compliance for this addition/alteration to the electrical installation. The million dollar question would be is the owner of the installation then be required to get an electrician in just to certify this earth? The only answer I can give at the moment is there's valid arguments in both directions. I'm going to think about it for a while and probably do some reading of the regs and definitions before I jump in with an opinion.

Thanks
    Roelie
    There are lot of guys who come into contact and temper with electrical installation, however it remains user or leaser's responsibility to ensure safety of his/her installation. Plumbers, DStv installers, automated gate/garage door installers etc all temper, in one way or the other, with your installation in executing their work. So yeah, you need to be vigilant and discuss these issues prior and see if you can agree on way forward and associated costs.

Thanks
    In my mind it is not about the cost because the owner is obviously responsible for that. It is a question of who is responsible for the work ? The antenna installer is not a qualified electrician, therefore he is not qualified to do the earthing work and he is thus forced to do an "illegal installation" of the antenna !! I am of the opinion that the installer should include the cost of calling out an electrician to make his installation legal in terms of SANS, in stead of leaving this task to the owner !!!

Thanks
    I know this is an old thread, but I cannot find one with a 2019 answer.

What is the SANS 10142-1: 2017 Edition 2's stipulation regarding satellite dish earthing. Can someone please check what section 13.2 now says. I only have 2012 amendment 8 and there it reads it is compulsory. Has the "shall" been changed to a "may be"?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I think you need to invest in a new book - It has changed to may

6.13.2.3 Antennas
    The conductive components of an antenna structure (including a satellite
    dish) may be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a
    conductor of at least 2,5 mm2 copper or equivalent.

Thanks
    @GCE, thanks I appreciate the reply. Yes, I need a new one, but have been waiting and waiting for the 2019 version to be released.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JSHAMMES View Post
    In my mind it is not about the cost because the owner is obviously responsible for that. It is a question of who is responsible for the work ? The antenna installer is not a qualified electrician, therefore he is not qualified to do the earthing work and he is thus forced to do an "illegal installation" of the antenna !! I am of the opinion that the installer should include the cost of calling out an electrician to make his installation legal in terms of SANS, in stead of leaving this task to the owner !!!
    My old HD DSTV decoder failed and I had to replace it. I went with the new Explora 3a model via DSTV and took the satellite dish installation option as:
    1. the new decoder needs a smart LNB, not a twin LNB
    2. the new dish is larger than the old dish, so hopefully will result in less signal loss on bad weather days.

So the next day in comes the satellite dish installer who:
    1. removes the existing satellite dish from its mounting bracket
    2. installs the new satellite dish on the old mounting bracket
    3. uses the existing co-axial cabling in place to connect the new LNB to the new decoder
    4. removes the existing earthing in place on the satellite dish mounting bracket, clipping the earth wire a tantalising few millimeters short of the base of the bracket! (see image)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sat-dish-earth-removed.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	7739

I get home that night, see the removed earthing, and called the installer to find out why he removed the earth.
    He says it is no longer compulsory, so he removed it.
    So I say - please supply me with a COC for the change.
    He says he is not an electrician and can't supply me with a COC.
    I point out the satellite dish installation is now in contravention of S 6.12.3.2 of SANS 10124-1 in that the mounting bracket is within arms reach of the ground (2051mm above the ground) and it is exposed to weather (as are most satellite dishes). He has rendered my electrical installation non-compliant.

He offered to come back and reinstate the connection.
    As he was not going to be working under the general control of a registered person, I declined his offer.

What I really don't get is - Why didn't he just leave the earth alone?
    Why remove it in the first place?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW - My understanding of the current situation under edition 2 is that bonding may not be compulsory any more in terms of 6.13.2.3, but 6.12.3.2 means that almost all satellite dishes need to be earthed.

If I'm wrong, no doubt someone will correct me shortly...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    BTW - My understanding of the current situation under edition 2 is that bonding may not be compulsory any more in terms of 6.13.2.3, but 6.12.3.2 means that almost all satellite dishes need to be earthed.

If I'm wrong, no doubt someone will correct me shortly...
    Very, very interesting comment @DaveA. I would love to see what the 2017 SANS specs and our wise members have to say about this.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Under SANS 10142-1 - 6.12.3.2 I would put the earthing of a satellite dish as excluded under a number of points
    Most dishes are out of arms reach
    Could be regarded as structural steel work
    Not touching a conductive surface ( was a thread previously over brickwork and conductive surfaces )

Backing that up I would use clause 6.13.2.3 as specifically mentioning satellite dishes - It does not have an earth terminal .

Further to SANS 10142-1 - The lightening protection guides recommend that you do not earth/ bond satellite dishes and aerials if they are below the safe space/ rolling sphere - If they are above then you need to use an isolated air-termination system to prevent lightening currents from entering the building over the coaxial cable.If you earth the dish or bracket without having an isolated air termination system then the bracket becomes the air termination rod and will create static or disturbance on the cable causing damage to equipment.It is all "hidden" in SANS 62305 - Have pasted a link to a useful document with regards to lightening protection - ( https://www.dehn-international.com/s...e-complete.pdf )

It is safer for the installation , house, to not earth or bond the aerial or satellite dish.
    The minute you earth it it will also attract the stray static currents in the air which in turn will attract the possibility of a full lightening hit - That was my understanding on the topic.

I understood that the lightening protection discussion led to the removal of the requirement to bond/earth satellite dishes and aerials

Lightening protection is not my strong point but have attended lectures and studied the material to a point of basic understanding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.