Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Dish Clarification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Satellite Dish Clarification

The question of new regulation for the earthing of Satellite Dishes has been raised this morning at a the Pinetown meeting of Dealer principles. I have been asked to investigate this further and require assistance.
    Please could someone clarify the issues surrounding this:
    a) the Dish being attached to the main earth or
    b) requiring a separate earth.
    Concerns stated at the meeting that there are confusion with this issue. As Electricians in general are climbing in on the band wagon and slapping every one with a +-R400.00 to earth them.
    The Bodies at the meeting generally agree that there should be earthing. However some schools of thought say that this should be separate to the main earth because of lightning conducted through the main that is obviously very dangerous.
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Hi Candy, i have not seen the latest up date on the regs, but as far as i am aware the Dishes, TV aerials etc have to be bonded to mains earth.
    As for running a seperate earth like we used to do, a earth spike into the ground i would agree and be happier with this........but then again we dont make the rules.
    As far as charges go, it would depend on the location of a suitable earth to where the dish is placed. I would not call R400.00 climbing on the band wagon. If the guy has driven to the job spent a couple of hours connecting the dish to the main earth, used 20 to 30m of copper wire which has had an 85% increase since January plus all the connectors, clips etc.........dont know if R400.00 is a rip off?
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Thanks
    Thanks Al ...but I need to report back on what the reg expects and not give my own understanding of the situation..could you find out what it is that has everyone asking for explanations about. Obviously the agents are feeling that the Electricians are just looking at this issue to make bucks so I need something official to give them.
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Right....Reg 6.13.2.3 Antennas of SANS10142-1:2003 States
    "An Antenna (including a satellite dish) shall be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a conductor of at least 2.5mm copper or equivalent."
    Remember the Ark was built by Amateurs and the Titanic was built by professionals.
    Business isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Marine Aquariums SA

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Alan, it seems my regs are out of date then:

SANS 10142-1:2017
    Edition 2

6.13.2.3 Antennas
    The conductive components of an antenna structure (including a satellite
    dish) may be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a
    conductor of at least 2,5 mm2 copper or equivalent.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ACEsterhuizen View Post
    Hi Alan, it seems my regs are out of date then:

SANS 10142-1:2017
    Edition 2

6.13.2.3 Antennas
    The conductive components of an antenna structure (including a satellite
    dish) may be bonded to the installation earthing system by means of a
    conductor of at least 2,5 mm2 copper or equivalent.
    Nope. That is the current standard...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I got the following in a PM some time ago and asked the member to post it - which hasn't happened. But it's a great answer and really useful information. So on behalf of Indy and via Candy:

I would like to reply to your request in forum, refer below,...

wrt earthing the dish to the mains earth, this is good practice. The reason for this is that different "lighting paths" can cause potential differences during a strike.

If there are 2 different paths to earth and there is a strike on the dish. The main earth would no longer be "earthed". It would be floating. A dangerous situation. Another danger is that the earth resistance is not measured. A rod is driven through the ground. The earth resistance is not measured and could be very high.

Earthing the dish to the mains earth would eliminate this "floating" earth. Yes, the mains would have a high current during a strike, but the earth resistance is within spec.

GOLDEN RULE : BOND EVERYTHING TO A COMMON EARTH

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi!
    I am a little late to this thread - but as this is a new field of responsibility for me and answers seem to be forthcoming, I would like to try my luck:

1) I fully agree - if the satellite dish is earthed, it should be earthed to common earth
    2) Q1: Having a bare earth running down from the dish to earth is probably more dangerous than not earthing it at all, so if earthed, should it should be done in a conduit or sheathed cable and not a bare cable?
    3) Q2: Is earthing regarded as electrical work requiring a qualified electrician, or can anyone do it?
    4) Q3: In the absence of an earth - e.g. a generator driven rural home - do you earth the dish, or not?
    5) Q4: If you earth the dish, do you earth the decoder, your TV and amplifier as well.
    6) Q5: ...and if so - who is responsible for doing it and who must carry the cost?

I would really appreciate any input

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Constant View Post
    Hi!
    I am a little late to this thread - but as this is a new field of responsibility for me and answers seem to be forthcoming, I would like to try my luck:

1) I fully agree - if the satellite dish is earthed, it should be earthed to common earth
    2) Q1: Having a bare earth running down from the dish to earth is probably more dangerous than not earthing it at all, so if earthed, should it should be done in a conduit or sheathed cable and not a bare cable?
    Earth bonding can be an uninsulated braided strap in some circumstances so I don't think there's a requirement for bonding wiring to be insulated on a domestic premises....but I'd wait for confirmation.

3) Q2: Is earthing regarded as electrical work requiring a qualified electrician, or can anyone do it?
    My personal opinion is yes. You'd need test equipment to identify what metallic objects are extraneous conductive and require bonding plus you'd need equipment to test the bonding impedance once installed.

4) Q3: In the absence of an earth - e.g. a generator driven rural home - do you earth the dish, or not?
    Regardless of the source of the power, every domestic electrical installation requires an earth. If the sole power source is a generator then an earth rod would be required.

5) Q4: If you earth the dish, do you earth the decoder, your TV and amplifier as well.
    I don't understand your question, I think you're getting confused between 'earthing' and 'bonding' which serve very different purposes.

6) Q5: ...and if so - who is responsible for doing it and who must carry the cost?

I would really appreciate any input
    The cost is for the homeowner's account usually.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot Andy!
    I really appreciate the feedback.
    You are right - I am confused between bonding and earthing. Could you help explain the difference to me please?
    (I assumed that as most TVs, amps and definitely the decoders only have 2-pin plugs nowadays, they aren't earthed and earthing the dish might entice a current through all of them if induced from the mains side - that's why I thought they might require special care as well)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.