Thread: Skill Shortages

Email problem
    Thanks

Question Skill Shortages

Hi

I read on the internet that South Africa suffers from a shortage of certain skills. Obviously I don't know whether this is true, which is why I'm asking the question.

If there are any particular skill shortages which companies are suffering from in South Africa, does anyone know what they are?

The reason I ask, is because I run a business in the UK placing students who are studying for a bachelors or masters on work placements and internships. I source the students from over 1500 universities across the European Union so I have a huge resource to draw from. I can fill any position from general business administration to civil engineering. All the students I place have previous work experience and are bright, enthusiastic and have a good work ethic.

My clients cover all industries and sizes from one man bands to large corporates. Placement students are an extremely cost effective resource so when I read that there was a skill shortage in South Africa, I wondered whether I could help anyone?

Let me know if I can, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Best regards

Robin
    www.europeaninterns.com

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Answer is yes, however the skills shortage is related to experience, so I would not think that the potential was ideal for students attempting to obtain workplace experience or internships.

The South African Department of Trade and Industry should be able to assist in answering your question: www.dti.gov.za

There is probably great potential in a business offering to take newly qualified students from South African universities and put them through a working experience program overseas and then placing them back in South Africa once they have the valued experience. Experience in a first world country would be a highly valued asset.

Yvonne

Email problem
    Thanks

Thank you

Dear Yvonne

Thank you so much for your reply and for the valuable insight you gave me.

Best regards

Robin

Thanks

Training in the U.S.A?

Hi Robin,

I am wondering if your business sends any trainees to the U.S.A. I am an immigration attorney working out of Los Angeles, CA and often get inquiries from persons, whether South African or from the U.K., who are interested in J-1 training visas. Many times these persons do not have a company willing to sponsor them however for such a training visa and often inquire whether I can point them to a placement resource such as yours.

Regards,

Hendrik Pretorius

Thanks
    I remember receiving stats about 3 months ago from SAQA on this topic. At that stage the 2 top skills shortages were Chartered Accountants and Project Managers. I am unsure where the statistics are at the moment can't seem to find it so please do not quote me on that. I can assure you however there are several specific skill shortages that were identified. You can also contact SAQA in this regard.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

6. Thanks given for this post:

rbuxton (26-Nov-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add engineers and artisans.

8. Thanks given for this post:

rbuxton (26-Nov-08)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HPretorius View Post
    Hi Robin,

I am wondering if your business sends any trainees to the U.S.A. I am an immigration attorney working out of Los Angeles, CA and often get inquiries from persons, whether South African or from the U.K., who are interested in J-1 training visas. Many times these persons do not have a company willing to sponsor them however for such a training visa and often inquire whether I can point them to a placement resource such as yours.

Regards,

Hendrik Pretorius
    Hi Hendrik

Thank you for your question.

At the moment, I only place EU students into other EU country. I'd like to expand this operation into other countries. However at the moment, I do not have a partner organisation in the US. Regarding the visa, I know that many US employers maybe reluctant to issue this type of visa for different reasons. Students can make things easier for them by going to: http:/www.IT-Visas.com/ This site has an online application form and makes it easier for employers to hire students.

Best regards

Robin
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Nov-08 at 04:27 PM. Reason: problem with link

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuxton View Post
    ...by going to: http:/www.IT-Visas.com/
    This link doesn't resolve - and yes, I tried by inserting the missing /

Please check URL.

Thanks
    "Send recently qualified people overseas to gain experience" Not so sure about that - they'll never come back home!