So today is Car Free Day. The M&G is running an article on it

"To make a change, you would have to equate as much of the flexibility, reliability and safety of private transport in the public-transport arena. Obviously you can't do that 100%, but you would have to close the gap very, very considerably to make public transport first choice," said Tony Twine, an economist with Econometrix.
I remember Car-Free-Day from last year and I'm not sure if anything has changed in the past year. I'm quite keen to see fewer cars on the road (mainly from a pollution perspective), but realistically most people aspire to get off public transport, as raised in the article.

"There are no public transport links to speak of," Twine said. "The informal transport sector is just that -- and most people who can afford a car, the first thing they do is abandon the informal transport system."
So what practical ways do you think we (as individual's) can employ to use our own vehicles less? Couple of good reasons for this, (1) reduce pollution, (2) less congestion (bonus when you do use your car), (3) potential savings (less fuel, maintenance etc.)

I live close to work (whoohoo - I work from home ). We also chose a house close to where my wife does here assesments from - that's one way (not always practical especially if you work at a factory though )