Thread: To Advertise or Not To Advertise... Tell Me Why

Thanks

To Advertise or Not To Advertise... Tell Me Why

This is another one of those writings, messages, that I have hoarded since the early eighties. Although when I found it, it was no longer than few lines. I have embellished it slightly and made it more current - but the gist of the message is still there.

TELL ME WHY...
    A man wakes up in the morning to the sound of adverts playing on an advertised radio, rolls out of an advertised bed, in his advertised pyjamas. He will stumble into an advertised kitchen where he will make himself a cup of coffee using an advertised mug and an advertised coffee brand, sweetened by an advertised sweetener. He will make himself toast using an advertised toaster and advertised bread, spreading it with his favourite advertised sandwich spread.

He will drag his feet out of his advertised kitchen along a corridor walking on top of an advertised carpet into a bathroom where there will be advertised taps, tiles and shower. He will shower in the advertised shower using an advertised soap, wash and condition his hair with an advertised product, drying himself off with an advertised towel. He will brush his teeth with an advertised toothbrush using an advertised toothpaste and shave using an advertised blade and shaving cream.

He will dress for work in advertised shoes, pants, socks and shirt, put on an advertised deodorant and after-shave putting on an advertised watch on his wrist. He will take two advertised multi-vitamins with his favourite advertised mineral water. He will drive to work in an advertised car, sit at an advertised desk surrounded by an advertised computer and printer, and write with an advertised pen.

At lunch he will go and have a workout at an advertised gym wearing advertised gym gear after which he will have an advertised snack, washed down by an advertised energy drink.

On his way home there will be billboards advertising products and services. Arriving home he will have an advertised meal and watch TV and see it advertised. At the end of the evening he will switch-off his advertised lights and climb into his advertised bed.

So, tell me why this man hesitates to advertise his product or service, claiming that advertising does not pay. β€œIt’s wasted money. That money could be better spent elsewhere.”

Finally, when his unadvertised business starts to go under,

He will advertise in order to sell!!
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    I was in the advertising industry once upon a twice.

One of the short stories was:-

I used to know a man who would not advertise and did fairly well, I think........strange thing is, I do not remember who he was or what his company was called.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice ones.

Out of interest, is there a short story that illustrates the difference between advertising and marketing?

Thanks
    Hopefully this will clarify the issue:

1. You see a gorgeous lass at a party. You go up to her and say:
    "I'm great in the sack." That's called DIRECT MARKETING.

2. You're at a party with a bunch of friends and see a gorgeous dish.
    One of your female friends goes up to her and, pointing at you, says:
    "See that guy there? He's great in the sack." That's called ADVERTISING.

3. You see a hot number at a party. You go up to her and get her
    telephone number. The next day you call and say: "Hi, I'm great in the
    sack." That's called TELEMARKETING.

4. You're at a party and see a delicious creature. You get up and
    straighten your tie. You walk up to her and pour her a drink. You open
    the door for her, pick up her bag after she drops it, offer her a lift, and
    then say: "Oh, by the way, I'm great in the sack." That's called PUBLIC RELATIONS.

5. You're at a party and see a sweet young thing. She walks up to you
    and says, "I hear you're great in the sack." That's something called BRAND RECOGNITION.

6. Finally, You're in bed with this tasty tart when she purrs sensually in
    your ear: "Damn, you really are great in the sack!" That's called PRODUCT PLACEMENT.

Source: http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/200...nce_betwe.html

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (17-Oct-08), Superscenic (28-Nov-08)

Thanks
    Continuing...

You go to a party and you wait until the last man/woman is left in the room. You go over to him/her and say" You wouldn’t still be here if you weren’t as desperate as I am" This is an example of Target Marketing!!

You're at a party and see a gorgeous woman. You talk her into going home with your friend - That's a Sales Rep

Your friend can't satisfy her so he calls you – That's Tech Support

You're on your way to a party when you realise that there could be gorgeous women in all these houses you're passing. So you climb onto the roof of one situated toward the centre and shout at the top of your lungs, "I'm fantastic in bed!" - That's Spam!
    Last edited by Vincent; 18-Oct-08 at 11:57 AM. Reason: removed one eg
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

7. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (18-Oct-08), Superscenic (28-Nov-08)

Suspended
    Thanks
    the last one is the one i am concerned about...i dont want to waste money on paying for someone to promote my bussiness as spam.

and while on the subject of advertising where can i find good quality people advertising for employment? they are around it is just difficult to filter through all of the spam.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.