This is another one of those writings, messages, that I have hoarded since the early eighties. Although when I found it, it was no longer than few lines. I have embellished it slightly and made it more current - but the gist of the message is still there.

TELL ME WHY...
A man wakes up in the morning to the sound of adverts playing on an advertised radio, rolls out of an advertised bed, in his advertised pyjamas. He will stumble into an advertised kitchen where he will make himself a cup of coffee using an advertised mug and an advertised coffee brand, sweetened by an advertised sweetener. He will make himself toast using an advertised toaster and advertised bread, spreading it with his favourite advertised sandwich spread.

He will drag his feet out of his advertised kitchen along a corridor walking on top of an advertised carpet into a bathroom where there will be advertised taps, tiles and shower. He will shower in the advertised shower using an advertised soap, wash and condition his hair with an advertised product, drying himself off with an advertised towel. He will brush his teeth with an advertised toothbrush using an advertised toothpaste and shave using an advertised blade and shaving cream.

He will dress for work in advertised shoes, pants, socks and shirt, put on an advertised deodorant and after-shave putting on an advertised watch on his wrist. He will take two advertised multi-vitamins with his favourite advertised mineral water. He will drive to work in an advertised car, sit at an advertised desk surrounded by an advertised computer and printer, and write with an advertised pen.

At lunch he will go and have a workout at an advertised gym wearing advertised gym gear after which he will have an advertised snack, washed down by an advertised energy drink.

On his way home there will be billboards advertising products and services. Arriving home he will have an advertised meal and watch TV and see it advertised. At the end of the evening he will switch-off his advertised lights and climb into his advertised bed.

So, tell me why this man hesitates to advertise his product or service, claiming that advertising does not pay. “It’s wasted money. That money could be better spent elsewhere.”

Finally, when his unadvertised business starts to go under,

He will advertise in order to sell!!