SA Rugby walked into what looked like an ambush at the National Sports Indaba in Durban on Thursday, where sports portfolio committee chairperson Butana Komphela told delegates that the Springbok emblem divides the country. And there was a chorus of support from other sporting codes to see the Springbok go.

It just keeps coming back, doesn't it. Some people just have to go back and gnaw that bone again and again and again.

This morning reports were going "The Springbok is history" so I nearly fell flat on my back when I read this...
The African National Congress (ANC) came out strongly in support of the Springbok emblem on Friday, saying it did not want to see it replaced.

"The ANC would like to state categorically that it would not like to see any replacement or change of the Springbok emblem until sufficient debate and consultation of all stakeholders, including rugby supporters, has taken place," ANC spokesperson Jessie Duarte said.

"We would also like to encourage our world-acclaimed sportsmen to continue winning more world cups for South Africa and not be detracted by debates on the future of the Springbok emblem."
full story from M&G here