Thread: Classifieds and Links

Thanks

Classifieds and Links

Hi TFSA,
    Classifieds
    I was wondering, what are the chances of having a classified section on the forum. A place when we could maybe advertise our wares without cluttering up the other forums spaces. Maybe there is one on here which I'm not aware of.

Links for Directories
    TFSA thanks for this link, where we can display what our businesses are about. A suggestion - Can't this link be made more prominent and be placed in the header, say next to articles and be called Business Directory.

This directory has been here for sometime and yet there are only five businesses listed. With nearly 2500 members surly more business would like to list there business. (To those that read this thread, advertise your business in the directory)

Anyway Still a great site. THANKS Guys.
    Vincent Marino
    Maximising the sales value of your business!

Business 24-Seven |MyBlog Twitter |facebook |Phat feesh & chips

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A note on the directory - You need to get to full member status to be able to add your link (which really just involves participating a bit).

Vincent, I take your point on making the directory more obvious. I'll do some tinkering to see if we can improve that. Thanks for the constructive feedback.

I'll look at a classifieds section as well. Some forum sites do it as a forum category - would that do the trick?
    A last question (for now) - Could classifieds be member only content? The reason why I suggest this is the potential spam levels that go with this sort of thing - I'd like to keep the RSS feed clean and on-topic as some members use it to publish on their blogs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    A note on the directory - You need to get to full member status to be able to add your link (which really just involves participating a bit)
    Wasn't aware that you needed to be a full members, but good point - participate and be seen!
    Last edited by Vincent; 03-Oct-08 at 05:39 PM.
    Vincent Marino

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'll look at a classifieds section as well. Some forum sites do it as a forum category - would that do the trick?
    A last question (for now) - Could classifieds be member only content? The reason why I suggest this is the potential spam levels that go with this sort of thing - I'd like to keep the RSS feed clean and on-topic as some members use it to publish on their blogs.
    Classifieds should either be in a separate section, or at the very least members only content. Having that as a part of the forum will just clutter up the conversation with ads, and I certainly agree with your point about the RSS feed.

Maybe the question to ask is whether TFSA is an advertising site. I personally don't come here looking for classifieds - I would go to a site/page which is directed at that. The point of TFSA (for me) is the discussion/mentoring aspect.

Having written that, I believe that having classifieds as a part of the forums would dilute the value, rather than add to it.

Here is another idea: have a text based, paid for, classifieds block in one of the right hand columns. Alternatively, is it possible to use Google Ads and direct your ads/classifieds at TFSA?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Oct-08)

Thanks
    I think classifieds should be in a separate section on there own and I certainly believe, as Duncan, suggests a members only content. Having said that, if one looks at Norri's post (not taking a dig at you)'Compound Growth", is it an advert or a discussion? It started out as an ad but soon turned into a discussion - which is healthy.

Some forum sites do it as a forum category - would that do the trick?
    A forum category would be great.This is what I was suggesting, obviously didn't explain myself properly. (me, myself, I)
    Maybe it could be controlled the same way as directories. X amount of posts opens that possibility, but is visible to everyone.

I would go to a site/page which is directed at that(Advertising)
    Wouldn't this just drive people away? I haven't come here looking for ads as well, but I don't believe it can do any harm.

What I've learnt about forums is that people look for information and want to drum up business. There is only so much one can write about what one does.
    Vincent Marino

7. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Oct-08)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.