Thread: RAM issues

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a forum - the idea is anyone can add their 2c worth
    I've already added mine ^^

Thanks
    Hey Croc,

I find that Windows Defrag is good, (have tried a few others and one of the Chinese downloads actually screwed-up "Sector o"). Cutting all the "fluff" might not be enough, the system registry might still hold some old links, you may need to use a Registry Cleaner, but be careful, not all are good!! try to find one that is approved by MS.

If your system is not too cluttered with programs, have you considered a drive rebuild? I know MS only allow a few activations before their software is toast, I do a complete HDD rebuild every year and my system purrs like a kitten, but is fast as a Cheeter.

What is your actual system specification? (HDD size and qty, RAM, CPU, Mboard, Sound card, Graphics card and RAM, etc?) Perhaps I can figure something less harsh than a rebuild?

Thanks
    thanks bud that will be great, will list my specifications for you later just in a bit or a rush! but in the meantime, what is involved in a HDD rebuild?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by croc View Post
    but in the meantime, what is involved in a HDD rebuild?
    I'm curious too.

I've got visions of a format and total reinstall, which I normally only do under duress - like when the drive data has corrupted by some dodgy software. I've found things fly on a fresh install like that, but what a PITA.

So I'm hoping you mean something else

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've got visions of a format and total reinstall
    What I do in these cases is : when you first format the drive/s, install the OS and all the software you use ( office, etc ) and setup all your internet connections, e-mail accounts, etc.

Then, before you do anything else, make a Ghost copy of the drive. That way, when the system is corrupt beyond repair, whip out the Ghost disk and you've got all the PITA work done within a very short time.

just my 2c worth.
    Watching the ships passing by.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (15-Oct-08)

Thanks
    that sounds like a plan that could work!

Thanks

HDD rebuild

Yep, you're all quite right, an HDD rebuild is in fact a format and complete re-install, but the order of installation is also very critical. That's why I ask if your system is not too cluttered with programs, etc. It's a real PITA if you have to install all the software again.

Let me qualify the reason why I do a "Format C:" and complete re-installation. (this is gonna be long and painfull to read). When your computer stores files it will write to the tracks and sectors on your drive, (for want of better explanation) of your HDD, files that are used often will use the same sector/track over and over... and over, if the file grows in size, Windows will store the original file in the same location but will add the rest to another location on the same drive, hence fragmentation. The fact that the same file is accessed often will "wear-out" that particular segment's layering and this will cause the dreaded "BAD SECTORS", by doing a FORMAT you are clearing all sectors and layering of data (won't clear Bad Sectors, they're there for life) and basically starting with a clean drive (not completely, as there is still some critical FAT data that must remain on the drive), when you re-install your software, windows will re-allocate sectors so the chances of the same sectors being used for the same data are 1 in 299Gig (1 in 299 billion for a 300GB HDD).

Defragmenting will do some of this as Windows will always try to keep files in a complete set, but sometimes there just isn't enough space for that, the defragger may report that defragmentation is complete but it will not have moved every file to a different location, it may just update the FAT (file allocation table) to tell windows where the rest of the fragmented file is on the drive. This depends on how good and thorough the defragger is.

Re-installing in a specific order, you wouldn't take a car for a drive before you put in fuel, the same applies to your computer. Althought eh order that I will give here is not critical, it works for me. First install from your windows disc, this will ask you if you want to install to this particular partition, if you know what you are doing your can delete and re-partition the drive, this will help to get SECTOR 0 squeeky clean, it's not critical, so if you don't know how, don't try, a mistake here may cost a new HDD and a Techy bill. Then do the complete install of Windows (or whatever OS you use) Windows will allow you to choose various options for install, if you have never used these options in the past, maybe you don't need to install them now? I will have to leave you hanging for now, but I will continue with this post soon.

Sorry, run out of time.

Thanks

HDD Rebuild Continued

Hi, sorry 'bout that break. As windows is installing, have a cuppa and think about a few things. What order do you want to install and should you defrag along the way? I find that when I have completed the installation of a particular program, I will defrag the drive and set a restore point, if something goes wrong i can always rollback to that restore. Next up I would install, chipset drivers, keyboard/mouse drivers (if any), network drivers, graphics drivers, sound drivers, and finally any other drivers, set a restore and defrag. After this your system is in full YEEEEEHAAAA mode and everything is performing at the best that it ever will (provided you have enough RAM and your BIOS settings have proper values).

If you would like to "tweak" your system using a 3rd party package, now is the best time to install and set these up, WARNING! 3rd party tweaking packages can do a lot of damage if used incorrectly, reputable brands won't allow you to stress your system too much, the point is, you are still running the system above the component design spec and narrowing the failure margin, at your own risk.

Shut-down and restart your system before you begin with the user program installations. Which programs you install first won't have too much effect on your system performance, but I like to get my MicroSoft-ware done first, MSOffice goes in here followed by defrag and restore point set. Big programs that use lot's of resources, i like to get them done soonest after my MS stuff and finally all the smaller stuff after this, every so often I set a restore point and defrag the drive and then restart the system. As i install programs I am looking at the install options that each of these may have, some programs install other sub-programs that you may not need, if you don't need it and the program don't need it, then why install it? In most cases you can install these later, if you really want to... then go ahead, just know that they will use resources! After all the programs are installed, only then do I install my Anti Virus, this way my AV will credit all the respective programs with proper access and network rights.

The last things I will install are the Games, but these are installed on a seperate drive to my main program set. Speaking of seperate drives, I have 3x 500GB HDD's (so it's real easy to do systems rebuilds) and I store most files on another drive, this way "C" drive only has the main programs. Another tip. DON'T store your documents in the "My Documents" folder, what? I hear you ask, isn't that what it's for? Well yes it is, but any program/folder that is listed in your "start" menu is first read and checked by windows as windows starts-up, your documents folder, invariably, holds the most files and is also in your Start menu, yes?? Okay, move those files to another drive, or another folder on the same drive and place shortcuts to these files in the My Documents folder. Now when Windows reads this folder it only has to read a few 1KB .inf shortcuts and does not spend time finding the fragments of a 512KB, fragmented document, that is spread across the drive. Make any sense?

It takes me approximately 2-3 hours to do a complete rebuild of "C" drive, because the fluff is all contained on my other drives and even these get a periodic cleanup, defrag, and rarely, a Formatting.

If after all this my system still won't run fast... Just knock it off the stand and ask the MADAM for the c-cards.

This was more like a $200's worth, hope it helps.

10. Thank given for this post:

croc (16-Oct-08), Dave A (15-Oct-08)

Thanks
    Dave OB has a good idea, especially if you have just done a complete partition change before the install. Bear in mind, a "Ghost Image" will write everything back exactly as it was when the image was made.

Thanks
    Ive got two 320G drives that are in a raid 1 setup. Problem is when ive got a virus im still buggered. I've ordered an external enclosure for one drive just for backup purposes. The Ghost imaging is a very good idea. Any specific program you would recommend and how much space would the ghost image need?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast