Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to suppress the truth.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

How to suppress the truth.

I think I'm reading this right. A leak has said that the head of SABC news is guilty of bias, but the CEO says the report has found no bias.
    No evidence has been found of the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) blacklisting some commentators and analysts because of their political views, the
    public broadcaster reported on Thursday.

SABC chief executive Dali Mpofu revealed this during a morning talk show on SAfm radio.

Mpofu said a commission of inquiry had found there was no blanket ban on certain political commentators and analysts.

"There was no discernible political bias in any of the decisions that were taken," he said.

----

Business Day columnist Anton Harber wrote on Wednesday the inquiry revealed that Zikalala had broken the broadcaster's own code of conduct.

He said the report on the outcome of the probe cited at least eight incidents where Zikalala transgressed.

It concluded he did so by not using certain commentators and analysts for reasons that were not "objectively justifiable".

The inquiry also found that Zikalala made a misleading statement when denying the existence of a blacklist which banned certain analysts.

The commentators included political analyst Sipho Seepe; William Mervin Gumede, author of Thabo Mbeki and the Battle for the Soul of the ANC; political analyst Aubrey Matshiqi; and Business Day political correspondents Vukani Mde and Karima Brown.

All of the commentators are considered to be outspoken and generally critical of President Thabo Mbeki.
    Maybe it's just a play on words, but to my simple mind, something smells of coverup.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've just watch Dali Mpofu being interviewed on SABC 2 this morning.

Man! The guy can tap dance.

Thanks

how to suppress the truth cont...

Slightly off topic but related ....what concerns me is that people start to believe their own stories...some lies can be so bazaar and so finely interwoven... When you eventually smell a rat and realise you have been duped . It is unbelievable that it is a lie ...it just make me sick to see this kind of tapdancing in govenment too...
    Personally I am battling to justify an action taken by some one quite close on the work front. It leaves me cold and baffles to realise the extreame one would go, to get what they want!!!... no matter who is hurt in the process.
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    The M&G has some very interesting comment on this,

The SABC issued a seven-page summary and statement about the *commission.

The commission’s 78-page report, of which the Mail & Guardian has a copy, is damning
    Read the full article on the M&G Online
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The next step would be to interdict M&G against publishing the report. How open and transparent.
    The Mail & Guardian Online was on Saturday morning interdicted from publishing the South African Broadcasting Corporation's (SABC) report into whether there was a policy blacklisting some commentators because of their political views.

On Saturday night, M&G lawyers were fighting the interdict in the Johannesburg High Court. It is probably the first time that a major South African online news publisher has been interdicted.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    And then the interdict gets dismissed with costs. Story here.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see IOL has picked up on the story here.
    Sanef said the major finding of the commission - that several commentators were blacklisted for "impermissible reasons" - reflected "unacceptable journalistic practice, all the more objectionable because their exclusion was by the public broadcaster which has a duty to encourage the widest range of comment on current affairs".

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Commentary on the SABC attempt to stifle release of the commission's report is pouring in. Not surprisingly, it is pretty scathing.

There is another update on M&G here. I thought the little snippet below was quite enlightening. This is a verbatim quote of evidence from Snuki Zikalala presented to the commision:
    On Paula Slier: “From the movement where I come from we support PLO. But she supported what’s happening in Israel. And then I said to them Paula Slier we cannot use her on the Middle East issue because we know where she stands. We need somebody who’s impartial.”
    I'm sorry if I'm bugging a few people by following this so closely. But to some extent this is a test of the health of our democracy.
    Last edited by Dave A; 17-Oct-06 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

Too much time in Court E

M&G is running an article about the challenges they've had to their press freedom and the interedicts against them.

Last Saturday, we were interdicted for the third time in a year and a half.It is an irony that the interdict, brought by the South African Broadcasting Corporation to make us take down a copy of the commission report into blacklisting off our website, came just four days before press freedom day. And it is a double irony that we were hauled into court by another media organisation intent on staunching the free flow of information.

Full Story on M&G
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries

SABC says it's sorry to see Perlman go

The next chapter in the story.
    Perlman tendered his resignation late on Monday afternoon. "After nine exciting and fulfilling years presenting AM Live, I have decided to move on in pursuit of new challenges," he said in the same statement.

Perlman told the Mail & Guardian Online on Tuesday morning that he would be ready to speak to the media "in two days". "I need to think," he said.

Business Day reported that Perlman's resignation followed that of Nikiwe Bikitsha, his co-presenter on SAfm's AM Live, and was related to the SABC's controversial blacklisting of certain commentators.
    full story from M&G here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast