Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of the Thabo Mbeki era

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see the ANC is downplaying Trevor Manuel's "resignation" in particular. I'm not buying the "no crisis" line, though. Why resign and make yourself available again if all is well between Trevor Manuel and the new leadership? Something's itching there that needed to be scratched.

One thing that I suspect that has been shaken up in all this is the concept of blind loyalty to the party. I know all too well how tough it is to walk away from something that has been an integral part of your life for a long time. But once the thought has entered your mind, it's only a matter of time before it becomes quite a liberating notion.

Aziz and Phumzile were looking particularly relaxed this afternoon/evening. Even cheerful. For them the ordeal of the past year or more is over.

Suspended
    Thanks
    eeeiiiiiish i am just holding my tongue

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There seems to be more and more press suggesting an ANC breakaway might be coming sooner rather than later.
    Almost a quarter of black people polled in a phone survey this week support the formation of a breakaway party from the African National Congress (ANC), research company TNS said on Friday.

Just over half the white people questioned thought it was a good idea, with support dropping to 43% among coloured people, 19% among Indian people and 22% among black people.

"Whilst [overall] support for a breakaway party from the ANC is in the minority, nonetheless, it is significant," TNS said.

"That 22% of the black sample feel it is a good idea is notable."

Other findings were that three quarters of the people polled, including 58% of black people, still believe ANC president Jacob Zuma should stand trial for corruption.

And while 70% of respondents thought Thabo Mbeki did a good job as president of the country, 41% believed he should also be charged with corruption.

TNS said the 70% approval figure for Mbeki represented a feeling among all races that he had left a significant legacy, despite his approval ratings having fallen over the past few years.
    full story from M&G here
    In cruising various stories, the trail also led to a website called Friends of Democracy.

Wonderful thing, hindsight. Looking back on it now, JZ probably should have gone for an early general election.
    EDIT: Oh yes - the power outages were the problem then

Suspended
    Thanks
    the polls should be done with the bus loads of people they pay and feed...who make the difference with the votes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is anyone surprised by this statement?
    African National Congress (ANC) chairperson Baleka Mbete said disgruntled party members who plan to start their own movement were wasting their energy, the South African Broadcasting Corporation reported on Sunday.

She was speaking to journalists after addressing Gauteng ANC branches and regions at the Johannesburg City Hall. The meeting was part of a national campaign to explain the ANC national executive committee's decision to recall former president Thabo Mbeki last week.

Mbete, who is South Africa's new deputy president, said disgruntled members should take their grievances to internal structures.

"The ANC believes that anybody who is thinking of going off and forming another party is wasting their energy.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You can trust on Desmond Tutu to look on the bright side.
    Archbishop Desmond Tutu on Thursday praised the peaceful way South Africa had handled its recent political crisis, saying it would have led to bloodshed anywhere else in the developing world.

"I have criticised the sacking of president Thabo Mbeki, but we all know if it had happened in any other country in the so-called third world it almost certainly would have happened with bloodshed," he told reporters.

"We are very, very blessed in this country," he added.

"Certainly in Africa you couldn't have something happening that is so seismic and yet with no bloodshed."
    full story from M&G here
    Oh goody - it was a bloodless coup then

On the positive thinking side, I wouldn't mind if my street was renamed after Desmond. Definitely one of our nation's treasures.

Thanks
    Especially if you live at No 22 Tutu street, very auspicious.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lekota going out on a limb, or is this significant?
    Former defence minister Mosiuoa Lekota on Wednesday served “divorce papers” on the African National Congress and declared his intention of starting a new political formation to oppose the ANC in the coming elections.

Lekota addressed a press conference at the studios of 702 Talk Radio in Sandton, Johannesburg, where he outlined plans to put together a “congress” in a few weeks where the name and policies of the new party would be decided upon.

This party would contest the elections in 2009 and hopes to draw votes from the ANC, which might threaten the ruling party’s two-thirds majority.

Lekota was flanked by his former deputy minister, Mluleki George, as well as former trade union leader and president of the South African Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) Willy Madisha and representatives of provinces, but no other key leaders were present.

Lekota refused to say whether any other prominent names have aligned themselves with the new formation, stating “we don’t need prominent people, we need people and the population of the country”.
    full story from M&G here
    It sounds like there is definitely no Thabo Mbeki involved here. This one is about principles, not personalities.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    An extract or two from an interview with Mluleki George about his take on the new political formation brewing.
    Former deputy minister of defence Mluleki George is a key driver of the campaign for a new party. He spoke to Mandy Rossouw.

The ANC is still holding out for a reconciliation. Do you see that happening?
    I don't know. They've arranged to meet [Mosiuoa] Lekota but Lekota is not working alone, it's a collective. But we have full confidence that he will answer the questions.

It depends on whether the comrades are honest in wanting to find a solution. We've spoken to leaders before and what they say and what they do are two different things.

There's a lot of movement and it will be difficult to stop.
    full report from M&G here
    This next bit is my takeaway sound bite:
    Life is about risk. You can't say you won't go to work because you're scared of being in an accident or being mugged. You say to yourself: "I have to do it for my children."
    Well said, Mluleki! I think I'm going to have that printed and framed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12