Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions about CC VS Sole prop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member
    Thanks

A few questions about CC VS Sole prop

Firstly thanks for a great forum – seems like there are some guys and gals that really know their stuff!

I have a couple of questions and was wondering if anyone could help me in choosing the correct path to take.

I own a sport/fishing shop in the small town of Malmesbury in the Western Cape. I started the shop at the beginning of last year in less than ideal shop – zero walk by trade, but after a while word of mouth started to work and trade picked up – I am terrible at spending on advertising and spent under R3000 for the year. A couple of months ago I was approached by the guys that run our version of a mall to move to a vacant shop – this, after a bit of soul searching, I have done and have been in my new shop for around a month. I have had to hire one full time staff member now – but things on the whole are looking good, there is definitely a little cash at the end of the tunnel!

I have already established that I need to register for VAT – should I be thinking of also changing from a sole proprietor to a CC? I rather like the idea of my rather basic books – but maybe I should step up a gear? Sales should be around the R400 – R600K.

How do I go about putting my employee on the books as such? She gets a basic plus overtime and commission. Does it make a difference if I am a sole prop VS CC?

My stock control is terrible – is there a cheap way/system to barcode my stock?

Thanks for your time!

Thanks

CC vs sole proprietor

From a legal point of view, it is always better to have your business in a separate legal entity.

Close corporations as entities will be phased out.

I have always preferred, and would recommend a private company (i.e. a (Pty) Ltd). The grounds of personal liability of a shareholder in a company are more limited than in a cc. A company will cost more to set up and administer but worthwhile when there are problems.

Sieg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    I have already established that I need to register for VAT – should I be thinking of also changing from a sole proprietor to a CC? I rather like the idea of my rather basic books – but maybe I should step up a gear? Sales should be around the R400 – R600K.
    The "savings" gained by staying sole proprietor now could cost you later, and incorporating doesn't cost that much. It's the audit fee that's a PITA with a Pty Ltd, but good record keeping keeps that cost down and I've found the advice that goes with dealing with an auditor (as opposed to a bookkeeper) is worth the spend. That's not meant to knock bookkeepers, they're pretty good sources of advice too. But auditors are a touch more analytical and precise, particularly on good practice issues.
    How do I go about putting my employee on the books as such? She gets a basic plus overtime and commission. Does it make a difference if I am a sole prop VS CC?
    Other than they're not contracted to you personally, no difference that counts that I can think of.
    My stock control is terrible...
    Ug - stock control and management. Bane of my life.
    I'm definitely not the person to give advice except set up good practices right from the start if you can. Implementing a stock control system once bad habits are set is a nightmare

I'll be interested to hear about bar coding too. It might be an option worth considering, even though after two years it looks like we might finally be getting systems pretty close to working...

Thanks

CC definately

I find that a cc does the job in retail, you only have to do VAT if earnings are above R300 000 in a 12 month period for now.

This will change to R1 000 000 in the next months or so.

You can pay provisional income tax for yourself and PAYE and UIF for your permanent employees SARS will be able to supply you with the relevant documentation if you contact them on 0800 00 7277

There is a bar-coding system out in the market which makes it easier to label as you pre load data on stock and then allocate a bar code which you print and attach in store. There is a lady by the name of Michaela who deals with these systems you can contact her on 084 580 8484 (Checked with her she is fine with me putting her no down). She can arrange country wide service.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

cc

sorry before I forget to reg a cc on line for R690.00 and they allocate a accountant etc. go to www.businessneeds.co.za they are very good.

Thanks
    can also look at swiftreg.co.za

Have used them once before and was impressed.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    An aspect you don't usually consider is the potential value should you wish to sell your business, Pty Ltd is preferrable when it comes to selling your business.

PS Suggest you read and study "Crash Proof Your Business" by Peter Carruthers - vital reading for start up business in South Africa. http://www.crashproof.co.za/

Yvonne

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Tax rate more favourable in co/cc (28%) or sliding rates applicable to small business corporation (max 28%) in comparison to sole proprietor (40%)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the comments – great food for thought.

If a run the company as a CC I am guessing the CC gets taxed and my salary gets taxed? Don’t you end up paying more tax this way? This is the part that is putting be off…As I do not hand in books as a sole prop, I would rather wait for SARS to push up the Vat rate to 1mill – anybody got the inside on this, is it likely?

Cheers Nire – have spoken to Michaela.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If a run the company as a CC I am guessing the CC gets taxed and my salary gets taxed? Don’t you end up paying more tax this way?
    If you are worried about a double taxation effect:
    Your salary would be taxed in your hands. Profits of the CC are taxed in the CC's hands, but that would be the profit after deducting your salary.

Also, take careful note of Morticia's post - once your marginal rate for you as an individual is above 28% it's cheaper to be taxed on undistributed profits in the CC's hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast