Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: standard bank

Thanks
    Does anyone remember the old days in BC (Before Computers)?

My first account at Standard bank in 1979 was a savings account. I had a "savings book" which cost me R0.00 in service charges, fees or anything else - Zip, Zilch, Zero, Nothing! Money was drawn over the counter and quarterly the bank teller would take your savings book, make an additional calculation where I actually got interest from Standard on my balance in the savings book. Yes, Standard bank actually GAVE ME MONEY, and CHARGED ME ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Now banks make money off transactions and not from the interest differential between their loans and the deposits they hold as they did for hundreds of years before the 1980's.

Where the hell did we go wrong?

The bank manager used to be a REAL PERSON, whom you could approach and talk to and who looked at your situation in sympathy. But then the computers, and the faceless "they" at head office took over....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do have Muslim banks. Part of the NCA complexity arises because of their "no interest" rules. I've got no idea what their service charges might be like, though.
    Where the hell did we go wrong?
    The slow slide due to a lack of consumer resistance in the main, I think.
    That said, the big jump in the service charge raping when the National Credit Act came along was an interesting twist.
    Last edited by Dave A; 28-Jan-10 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I like the way you're thinking out of the box here DesA. What about The Bank of Athens and other similar banks, do they operate in SA.

I confess I had high hopes for an improvement in the way the banks do business when I heard the Virgin were starting to trade in this market a while back but alas it wasn't to be.
    The problem with much of business in SA, is that monopolies & cartels seem free to operate without restraint. This seems to dominate the overall business landscape, including power generation & supply, mining, banking, distributors & so forth. South Africans seems to have become conditioned to just accept this as a 'normal' part of everyday life.

The problem is that it is far from 'normal' - it is close to being criminal.

To get out from under these cartels, lateral thinking has to be used. Imagine being a slave to the bankers who need your deposits & business to survive - it is perverse.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Suspended
    Thanks
    just like the airlines are doing to people who need to travel during the soccer worldcup...my mates has bought a ticket to bring his daughter home during her school holidays from the USA...the ticket is R14000 more than the normal price...i wonder if i can put my rates up during that period because it sure as damn sounds everything else is gona go up..anyone need an electrician during this period....book now the rate will only be 300% more than standard rates. offer ends today after today you will pay 1000%

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456