Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zuma raped by Zapiro?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Zuma raped by Zapiro?

Satirical cartoonist Zapiro might have outdone himself here.
    Cartoonist Jonathan Shapiro on Monday defended his controversial cartoon of Jacob Zuma preparing to rape justice, saying he thought "very, very carefully" before doing it.

The African National Congress and its tripartite alliance partners have condemned the cartoon as disgusting, while ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe labelled it racist.

The cartoon, published in the Sunday Times under Shapiro's pen-name Zapiro, shows a blindfolded female figure labelled "justice system", being pinned down by Zuma's political allies.

The ANC president is depicted in the cartoon unzipping his pants, while Mantashe urges him: "Go for it, boss!"
    full story from IOL here
    At the very least, it's pretty extreme.

So, has Zapiro gone too far this time?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

The truth hurts!

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Suspended
    Thanks
    if the scorpions cant do their job anymore maybe its gona be up to the cartoonist...the justice system is a joke when it comes to high profile goverment people...maybe he should just go have a shower.

Thanks

Zapiro satire

Absolutely not! The truth stings and its shocking that some members of the ANC are still trying to play the race card when they are put on the spot. Zapiro has done well not to fold under pressure

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Rape is a pretty strong analogy, though. It feels a bit like saying that women in mini-skirts are "asking for it."

I've got a sense that a fairly uncomplicated man has found himself trapped in a pretty complicated nightmare. And it's a pity in a way because I think he'd make a better job of State President than Thabo has.
    Last edited by Dave A; 09-Sep-08 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks
    Rape is a pretty strong analogy, though. It feels a bit like saying that women in mini-skirts are "asking for it."

I've got a sense that a fairly uncomplicated man has found himself trapped in a pretty complicated nightmare. And it's a pity in a way because I think he'd make a better job of State President than Thabo has.
    Dave I tend to agree but his integrity must be above board then, he is working with the publics money and trust. At this stage almost anybody will make a better job of the presidency. The analogy may be extreme but I think this is extreme times - a more mellow message will not be as effective IHMO.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    Dave I tend to agree but his integrity must be above board then, he is working with the publics money and trust.
    Speculating for a moment that he might actually be guilty (trying hard to pick the right words here)...

How would you feel about JZ if he came clean? Damn the consequences and damn the people who might get implicated along the way.

What if he just whacked out a full and complete confession?
    Would that satisfy everyone's sense of integrity?

Thanks
    Hi guys,
    dont have much of an opinion except to explain how i interpret Zapiro's cartoon, which is outstanding if i might add.

Rape is one of the worsts things that a human being can experience, no matter what race,gender or what age, it takes a huge chunk out of your being. Even if you do recover in time you never really the same. That's how i see rape.

Justice is the one thing that everyone in a free country is promised, you might not get the grant or the free house or the rates cut down , but justice is for all. Any race,gender or age, justice is for all. For example when we see a horryfying crime on TV, our rank in society dissapears. We all become level and joint in sympathy, and hope and pray that the victim gets their JUSTICE. Thats how much of an impact justice has in our lives - Thats justice. (hence why Zapiro used a woman, we respect women, moms,grandmoms,wives,girlfriends,daughters, we all adore them)

Now taking into consideration how much rape affects us and how justice is our salvation, then comparing that with how the ANC leaders are trying to get by the justice system. I would say they are raping the system and leaving it to recover for later. Cause if Zuma avoids the justice system in front of the nation's eyes, it will no longer be the JUSTICE system that it used to be.

Well thats what i think.

Thanks
    If he believes he is innocent why have they all been trying so desperately and for so long to stop the case from coming to Court? That's the bit that bothers me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    If he believes he is innocent why have they all been trying so desperately and for so long to stop the case from coming to Court? That's the bit that bothers me.
    I think that is what is bothering everyone. You can add the way Vavi and co. are behaving, it actually looks like they know he's guilty. I'm guessing, but their unconditional support for JZ could be because they believe he is just the badly treated fall guy - and that is entirely possible too.

I think Murdock hit this on the head - the Zapiro cartoon might be just the catalyst that makes sure this one can't just get swept under the carpet. And the notion that "the country has already decided Zuma should not face trial" is well and truly buried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast