Maybe I'm getting to cynical about online advertising nowadays. But when you've been around the net a bit and got a site that relies on advertising to cover the bills, I can't help being fairly critical when I'm approached to advertise on a website.

So I thought it might be useful and therapeutic to launch something the exact opposite of Powerful, affordable advertising rather than wreck Norio's fine thread by venting off there.

Today I get approached by a new website for dentists. What this website does is solve a dilemma for dentists in that they aren't allowed to advertise (BS - sorry, did I sneeze).

For the bargain price of R300.00 per month I get to be one of only 5 electrical contracting companies in Durban that will be allowed to advertise on this website. I get a whole page to myself to promote my service, and I can load 3 photos. Best of all, I can expect every dentist in Durban and surrounding areas to fall over themselves to use my services because of my fine contribution.

The deal for dentists, I hear you ak? You guessed it - they need to pay to be on the site too. Not a deal breaker yet - let's look at this fine site.

Google it - nothing. Google hasn't found it yet.
Type in the URL. There's this empty site. Pardon me for not posting a link, but there is nothing to see other than a homepage outline that says "content coming soon."

Maybe one day this site might be worth spending R300 a month on - but that day isn't today, or this month. Probably not even this year.