Thread: Politicians want pay increase

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Politicians want pay increase

Being a member of parliament comes with quite a handy pay packet and pension plan. As I recall, two terms and you're pretty much set for life - if you can get by on R300k+ per annum.

But more is better, I'm sure. After all, BMW X5's are expensive.
    Members of parliament are in line for fatter salaries, but with the clock ticking towards the elections and many facing uncertain futures, they are demanding more gravy - not only better pay, but also improved pension packages.

An ordinary MP earns about R388 000 a year. Add perks and allowances and he walks away with a total package of R692 085.

President Thabo Mbeki, who met MPs regarding their pay in June, has appealed to the Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Office-bearers, headed by Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke, to consider a double-digit percentage salary hike for ordinary parliamentarians.

This could mean MPs getting between 10 percent and 13 percent - a far cry from the paltry 5,4 percent the commission suggested last year.

Last month, senior ANC MP Vytjie Mentor wrote to Mbeki, National Assembly speaker Baleka Mbete and Secretary to Parliament Zingile Dingani, arguing that MPs were worse off than civil servants. Mentor said that with inflation soaring and the cost of living higher, MPs were feeling poorer.

Secretary to Parliament Zingile Dingani is understood to have written to Moseneke backing Mentor's arguments. Dingani himself received a massive 23 percent increase last year that boosted his salary to R1,3-million.

The president's proposal and those from other stakeholders will be discussed when the Moseneke Commission meets on Friday.

MPs were up in arms last year over the commission's review of the remuneration of public office bearers. The commission apparently told Mbeki ordinary MPs were overpaid.

Eventually, Mbeki kicked for touch and MPs had to settle for an inflation-linked 7,5 percent increase while their total package was considered.
    full story from IOL here
    I think they should go on strike to push the issue. Then we can find out for sure that 90% of them do nothing but turn up anyway

Thanks
    90% of them do nothing but turn up anyway
    You are far to generous Dave.

Just fire the lot of them and let them fight it in the labour courts. Let them be the victims of their own making. Most of them don't have the steam to let of a good fart never mind a battle for for their previous positions they thought they held.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Just fire the lot of them and let them fight it in the labour courts.
    And run the risk they might get reinstated
    Probably have to pay them for a couple of years on suspension while the whole thing is appealed up to the constitutional court - all costs covered by the taxpayer of course

Just imagine what a right royal stuff-up we'd have if MPs were covered by the Labour Relations Act. When they aren't re-elected they'd probably have to be given retrenchment packages

Thanks
    Quite right - sorry didn't think that one through. Hate to think that they would be victims of their own making.

Right so then - lets go for my other unwritten initial suggestion, which was.

Fire at them all, not fire them all. Shoot them as they are of no use to anyone and just bringing down the national iq stats.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I was idly thinking - as long as we have proportional representation, why do we need so many MPs. They're kinda forced to vote along party lines anyway otherwise they lose their job* seat. Just make it like a CC - when the chips are down members' votes are proportional to their member interest. It would save a bundle on the payroll bill.

*Nearly stuffed that up - nearly implied that they actually do any work

Thanks
    lose their job* seat
    No you had it right the first time - I took Job to mean "Just an Ordinary Bull*^iter" - I am sure thats what you had in mind........