Thread: Mbeki vs Nzimande - Highbrow rhetoric.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mbeki vs Nzimande - Highbrow rhetoric.

It's hard to miss that there's something of a rather public spat between Thabo Mbeki & Blade Nzimande right now.

I don't know who's following it, but I'm fascinated by the terminology in the dialogue. Serious highbrow stuff involving a lot of complicated words on social theory.

I reckon most people's eyes are glazing over and they're going
    In his notes, Mbeki said that "to put the matter in its stark reality without any equivocation or diplomacy or pursuit of 'unity at all costs'", Nzimande's strategic proposals, "ostensibly on behalf of the SACP, whether intended or not, amount to a serious provocation..."
    "We expect the president to lead the African National Congress and the alliance rather than to personalise issues. He should engage with the alliance partners in a comradely and inclusive way that also respects the integrity of the other partner," said Nzimande.

Nzimande told the SA Democratic Teachers' Union's recent congress: "It is a shame that much as South Africa was liberated by a movement whose strategy and tactics was informed by this philosophical outlook, only capitalist ideology is taught in our schools."
    Last edited by Dave A; 09-Oct-06 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    I can't say I've been following the details, but the possible ramifications of this altercation are pretty concerning.

If there is a split in the alliance it is a big question whether that is a good thing for the country overall. One wonders if Zuma has been whispering words of discontent into people's ears - I'm sure he would benefit from a split.

I think Jermery Cronin said something to the effect that a split in the alliance would result in more instability, and that is a big concern.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's probably what's troubling me - it's a fairly significant event, but so boring to follow.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.