Good day to you all.
I 'm new to this forum, the reason I joined is I hope to get some advice on what could be a costly situation, so thanks to all in advance.

My wife is the secretary at a small private school. She has worked at this school almost since its inception about ten years ago and has an impeccable work record. Recently she got scammed with the Telkom refund scam. The amount involved is quite substantial, R57 000.00. Like me and I'm sure many others, she was not aware that money showing her account was not necessarily hers yet. The money reflected in the school's account for several days before she was persuaded into "returning" it. The school had just signed an ADSL contract with Telkom (1 week earlier) and had recently moved about R100 000.00 rand into their transacting account to pay for a new classroom. These issues are maybe coincidental, but had that money not been there she would not have been able to transact on the "incorrectly" deposited R57 000.00 and had they not just signed a debit order with Telkom she may have been a little more suspicious of the incorrect deposit.

Her school board have charged her with gross negligence and have told her she must personally pay back the money. I believe she is the victim of a scam perpetrated by organised criminals. Would the science teacher have to buy new equipment if the lab robbed?

My question is - what is the legal take on this?

Be honest with me, even if it's brutal. Thanks.