Thread: AVG 8 toolbar

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

AVG 8 toolbar

If you have AVG 8, I suggest you don't load the toolbar and you disable Active-Surf and Active-Search. OK. I'm not sure that Active-Search is a problem, but Active-Surf certainly is.

Every time you call a page on the web, this little monster checks with the AVG server to find out if it is safe to go there. It seems like a good idea, except AVG isn't coping with the load and you end up waiting for ages for the page you want to start loading.

However, it just got better. Clearly there has been something of a crash, ending up with every page call returning that the page cannot be found. I've disabled the protection and the pages are there just fine. The problem is AVG!

2. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (22-Aug-08)

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing this - I load AVG on a lot of computers, will know where to look, but so far no issues that I know of.

With every install I do not install the tool bar that is why I have no issues.

Also when I work on a computer I uninstall all tool bars like Yahoo, Google etc. one of the reasons being IMHO desktop space comes at a premium and tool bars takes unnecessary screen space and most people never even use it.
    Last edited by Chrisjan B; 23-Aug-08 at 06:09 PM.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Thanks
    I have had a problem with my computer freezing and it seems it does it when AVG does the scan,

I uninstalled AVG and then reloaded it completely from the website, that was yesterday, when I tried to run AVG it would load as far as 79 to 80% and freeze.
    This morning I ran it and it completely worked, I scanned my computer, it took 35 minutes, but now I have what feels like a new computer, hope it stays that way.

I also have a google toolbar on my search page, how do I delete it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I have had a problem with my computer freezing and it seems it does it when AVG does the scan,

I uninstalled AVG and then reloaded it completely from the website, that was yesterday, when I tried to run AVG it would load as far as 79 to 80% and freeze.
    This morning I ran it and it completely worked, I scanned my computer, it took 35 minutes, but now I have what feels like a new computer, hope it stays that way.

Uninstall from Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> Google tool bar.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Or if you just want to disable (in case you want it quickly for something one day):
    Open your browser and then select Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable/disable add-ons.

This gives you a list of all optional "browser help objects" for your browser.

Thanks
    Thanks guys I did it (slowly becoming less of a technodactyl) it loaded when I installed 'Firefox'