Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What works to motivate your staff?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

What works to motivate your staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    In respect of "labour don't give a damn already" - not a good sign. Part of the responsibility of the business leadership role is to motivate staff. We can't rely on staff being consistently self-motivated.
    This came up in another thread, and I'd like to hear your ideas, so please post away!

Obviously different type of staff are motivated by different things, but how does one manage that effectively to get productive and compliant people? (read compliant as working towards the goals of the company)
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Give some attention

The simple act of greeting staff in the morning in a warm and welcoming way can go a long way. Asking after family. Remembering they were going away for the weekend and asking how it went. Wishing them well for an exam.

It's a bit of a fine line managing it into a short exchange. You don't want to get sucked into a half hour blow-by-blow.

Thanks

Remove distractions

This always stuck in my mind from an article that I read on managing your creative staff -

Remove distractions

In the context of the article they mean don't put a load of admin work on your best sales person, get them an assistant so they can do what they're best at. I've attached the article
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Use their name.

Great article. I think this bit applies to every business leader:
    SAS recognizes that 95% of its assets drive out the front gate every evening. Leaders consider it their job to bring them back the next morning.
    As for the rest, I can really relate. I absolutely hate interruptions when I'm in creative mode.

My next tip is to know every staff member's name, and use it when talking to them. Don't just say "hello", say "Hello {username}". (And for guests visiting, you're just not going to get that personal touch unless you register).

I've heard it said that the sweetest sound for any person is to hear someone else saying their name.

My biggest challenge with this is that I'm really bad with names. I have to work very hard at it to get a new name stuck in my head. And even then I go blank sometimes.
    Last edited by Dave A; 07-Oct-06 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    My biggest challenge with this is that I'm really bad with names. I have to work very hard at it to get a new name stuck in my head. And even then I go blank sometimes.
    I find what works for me is to say the person's name when I meet them - basically a form of active listening.

So the conversation would be, "Hi I'm Duncan", "Hi I'm Dave", "Nice to meet you Dave"

It helps me cement the name in just a little bit more.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You set the mood.

You set the mood.

Your mood is contagious. If you're down and depressed, it'll infect everyone else. If you're up and chipper, the mood will spread.

Have you ever walked into a room and everyone is feeling down? Notice that pretty soon you're feeling down too?

Be aware of it. Mood is contagious. And if you buck the flow, smile and be upbeat, pretty soon everyone else will be too.

Don't underestimate the power of a happy, supportive workplace environment.

Thanks
    My next tip is to know every staff member's name, and use it when talking to them. Don't just say "hello", say "Hello {username}". (And for guests visiting, you're just not going to get that personal touch unless you register).

I've heard it said that the sweetest sound for any person is to hear someone else saying their name.

My biggest challenge with this is that I'm really bad with names.
    This one is great. The moment when you say robinsonwang, i got excited and proud because you have remembered me. Once employee's name remembered by his boss or someone he/she admired, then the power from their heart was motivated. To remember one't name is a respect to him and is also a good tool to build a good relationship. The first i went to a salesman training course, the teacher only asked us to remember the name of the classmates around you and more details about others. if you can do this, the teacher will give a hight point to you.
    wow, name is great.

Thanks
    LOL ok 1st things 1st Im Dominic

Many things in a organisation help with motivation such as a CEO or MD of a company walking around talking to his fellow workers and to the people WAY under hime and learning there names or even finding out how the working conditions are. A good family orientated company also works well. If there are family emergency's then take leave dont have the stress of asking to go knowing there is a chance of rejection.

Some other motivational things that can be done is by have a scented smell in the office such as orange in the air blowing thro the air conditioning. This has proven results of a happier staff and higher productivity in the organization.

And last but not least is the whole BEE situation. Many people arnt working the way they used to as they are a walking target waiting to be let loose and replaced. Why not have the BEST of the BEST working in the organizations puting colour and race to one side. That is how a true proudly south african company should be run

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I think respect goes a long way and a "pat on the back" when they are working to their potential and go beyond what you normally expect from a normal staff member.

One tends to take advantage of them and not show them that you appriciate the effort they do.

later
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks

From a Sales persons perspective

C'mon Candy Bouwer, what gets you going?
    Gee talk about pressure!!

I think that Duncan has hit the nail on the head
    Dos
    Money (see above)
    Recognition (i.e. wow, you did a good job on that)
    Self-pride (I want to make sure I do things well, but that is all internal)
    Potential to learn
    Helps me reach my own personal goals
    These are all very important in anyone book.
    I am motivated by a need to be all that I can be... for me...for my family and funnily enough this has only hit me later in life...don't know if is had something to to do with upbringing /or what...not that life was handed to me on a platter ,anyway something just kicked in a couple of years age and who would of thought that I would be studying now at this time of my life.

De-motivation comes in all shapes and forms eg ...a simple thing like a missed greeting from the boss or even something major like a door or telephone slammed down in ones ear can be earth shattering at the time.... however the ability to shake off the negative, look up and smile when things are rough ...is an art! This comes with experience (and boy have I learned the hard way) unfortunately, and is very important particularly if you are a participant in the sales game.

Sales People are sometime unjustly "accused" of having a very hard exterior ...unfortunaly we need to be the "proverbial Duck" and shake the "water" off from time to time ...but just below the surface we feel just like everyone else but need to be able to face a new client or a new day with a bright happy face.

I know encouragement and acknowledgment to a person in sales is vital and definitely goes a long way ...be it for a simple pat on the back or a financial reward... Anyone who want the best from their sales people need to step out of their own boxes from time to time and give credit where credit is Due.

Watch your businesses boom!!
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast