Thread: Import Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Email problem
    Thanks

Import Questions

First I would like to say hello to all the members.
    Who after my search for information on the net about how to import and having to resort to ask here are going to think I'm an idiot. I feel like one trying to make sense of everything and feeling totally lost.

As a biker like all other bikers, I get ripped off for over charged motorcycle gear and things. So now I am trying to get some things in for myself and other bikers around South Africa that we can actually afford.
    I have the price to buy it from them over in Pakistan, and so forth.
    Its going to be very low quantity unless everyone starts wanting the same here,
    which I am willing to help with. What is my next steps. What all should I do or do I need to get things send to South Africa. Where do I pay duties and who works them out. Who should I look at for costs of getting it send here.

I am looking to help as many of my brothers and sisters that share the road on bikes with what I want to get in.

Please guys help me sort out this joke of importing.
    Thanks. Enjoy your day...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have heard that the Department of Trade office is exceptionally helpful.

Unfortunately you will never imagine just how much "admin" is required to import and export, which could also be a good reason why most people give up, so if you perservere through all the insane compliance required, you should have a competitive advantage!

There are also a number of training programs available should you want to seriously enter this market which could save you a fortune in the long run.

Clearing and Forwarding costs are generally higher than you imagine - 25% of item is a fair rough estimate for your feasibility study and business plan.

Generally you also have to pay in advance before your supplier will ship the product, the entire transport logistics could take up to three months from when you have outlaid your finance to when you actually have the goods in your hands to sell!

We have dabbled in importing and even though we had a good product, and a guaranteed market, although we did not lose our capital, it was not the success we had hoped for!

So my advice would be that you learn as much as you can, from every aspect, before you risk any capital.

Importing and exporting is like web marketing, for every get rich success there are 10 failures who quietly dissapeared!

Yvonne
    Yvonne

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks. Will have a look. Got to see how it would work best and with as little risk as possible. We are really over charged for everything these days. So just want to have a option for bikers that isnt going to break them.
    But thanks for all you said. Really helped me think.
    So Thank you.

Thanks

I want to be your partner

Hi Bikefreedom ,

Glad to see your thread . I think you are looking for a partner and me too.

I want to know :

1. Import and export is not so complicated . But there is really risk like guy above said , he is right , you need to be careful .

2. In china there are good-quality products too , but there are more and more bad quality products . You can find the good ones if you find right person .

3. I have been in exporting electronic products in china for 3 years and now I am looking for partners in south africa to cooperate .

4. I love skateboarding , but I can do the exporting of bikes , good quality and correct price , and to be frank , correct interests of Both of us .

Hope you can contact me for detailed discuss .
    Last edited by Dave A; 12-Aug-08 at 11:43 AM.