Thread: facebook marketing

Thanks

facebook marketing

Can anyone give me some advice on marketing on facebook? What exactly do you do and how do you do it well?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has had serious business come out of working their profile on facebook.

The biggest commercial success I can think of is Vernon Koekemoer, but that is more because he became a celebrity. I wonder how deliberately calculated that was? Or was it just an accident?

Thanks
    Well Ive started a group on facebook that is generating links to my site and its going quite well so far. Dont think working the profile will really help much. Was thinking more along the lines of creating groups ect.

Thanks

Arrow

I started using Facebook about 3 weeks ago, and I've managed to generate some good business so far, probably partly because I'm offering my service for free.

I found that starting a group is good, but it tends to be limited to your immediate friends list. I started a business exchange network group, invited my friends, and in no time at all, had 45 members, then........ NOTHING!

Dave was absolutely right in one of his posts when he said that social networking is a timely process. You first have to socialize, then make friends with the people you socialize with, then..... BAM! You spring your sales pitch on them...... no, seriously, you have to be an active participant in discussions that happen in a social network environment. Only once you are 'trusted', will people start taking what you have to offer them seriously. Takes time, though.

My 2 cents.......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    ... you have to be an active participant in discussions that happen in a social network environment. Only once you are 'trusted', will people start taking what you have to offer them seriously.
    The problem in a nutshell.

What I am finding is that web 2 community stuff that does well in search is getting over the credibility hump really well. If I Google for a solution to a problem and find a result that
    • provides the solution
    • has a Web 2 type community discussion that shows it has been tested and works

I tend to trust that solution.

Now this is where putting major time into facebook hits a roadblock - it can't be crawled by the search engines and you lose the power of search in your efforts to attract hot leads. I'm not saying it is a waste of time, I just suspect there are more productive avenues.

My next web 2 "article" is going to be tackling the issue of search and publishing credible content - and ultimately why you should expose your quality content through a crawlable web 2 community.