Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Powerful, Affordable Advertising...

Thanks
    Hi guys. Excuse me if this has been mentioned before...

Visa business network is giving away $100 in Facebook advertising credit to 20,000 small businesses. That’s right, $100 for free! All you have to do is install the “Visa Business Network” application on your Facebook profile. Go to http://apps.facebook.com/visabusiness/sign_up to add the application.
    FROM Coolz

I'm not sure if this will be helpful to everyone, but for those registered on Facebook currently paying for advertising it will most definitely be. I urge you to do this without delay, as there are a limited number of coupons.

Thanks
    Cool question, Dave

I'm no guru (especially in AdWords) but I've learned a bit about Facebook recently. Here are my tips...

1. Rather advertise to 50 well-targeted people than 50,000 random people
    2. Always start SMALL while you're finding the ad-copy that works, this will save you money
    3. Bid the absolute least you can. Facebook might recommend $0.40 per CPM, still only bid $0.10. It's their JOB to sell you advertising. They're not your friends
    4. Do a little lateral thinking on your keywords. Forex, forex signals, etc is all good (for spotonforex.com) but investing, investment opportunities & work from home could also help you target the right people.
    5. Demographic advertising is about hitting the RIGHT people with the same ad many times. Don't worry if you have dips in your click-thru rate. They'll pick up again.
    6. If you're advertising on Facebook, it's easier to reach younger people than people over 35. Keep that in mind when advertising your ad.
    7. MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Only ever send people to a page that delivers EXACTLY what your ad promises. NOT your home-page, NOT your about-us page but preferrably a short page that continues where the ad left off and asks for something. (Money, email address, whatever) You're stupid if you don't do this! (sorry)
    8. Use a picture that will ATTRACT your target person. Pretty girls work but rather be relevant. If the pretty girl isn't holding your product, use something else that relates to your product instead.

That's it for now. Hope this helps someone else out there.
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    Nice one, kernel32, I'm checking it out now.

Thanks
    Norio
    Is facebook working for you, I have just hooked up with a lot old school friends on it so us older people are starting to use it.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Yup, it's working incredibly well!

I've used it for promoting things to CEOs, learner-drivers, guitarists and more.

They were all successful but the stuff focused to younger people got me better results.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hi Norio.

I was just wondering if you have learned anything new with your campaigns on facebook. Your tips is very helpful but I was wondering if you have any new tips or experience to ad.

Thanks.

John

Suspended
    Thanks
    word of mouth is the only form of advertising for me and has been for more than 17 years now...it must be work.

it all depends on the product or service you are selling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightcoder View Post
    I was just wondering if you have learned anything new with your campaigns on facebook. Your tips is very helpful but I was wondering if you have any new tips or experience to ad.
    Thanks for your question, nightcoder

The main thing I've learned is that Facebook works exceptionally well for hobby-focused products. I co-own www.GuitarForum.co.za and that campaign brings me the most number of clicks for the LEAST amount of ad-spend.

That's because people will often list "guitar" as one of their interests. Which means I can laser-target them. Which means that a greater percentage of ad-viewers will click my ad and an even greater percentage of click-thrus will result in my most-desired-action (signing up).

Conversely, I run a campaign for a driving school in Gauteng and, although it performs well, that campaign eats up a lot of my ad-spend. Why? Because people don't tend to list "driving" as one of their interests when they haven't yet learned how :P

So the key, IMO, is to find something to promote that people ALREADY are passionate about and you should do really well.

Another example is Forex. Few people even know about forex-trading so in my campaign promoting our R10 trial, I target people who I think may be interested (SMEs, entrepreneurs, etc) but they haven't listed forex as an interest of theirs, so I don't know for sure, so I don't get such great results!

Lesson at the end of all of this is:

The better you can target your advertising, the more money you will make AND the less money you will spend.

With the driving school, I'm targeting people between 17 and 18 who live in South Africa. That's a pretty huge demographic, which is why you also need to have a reasonable daily limit on your ad-spend.

Anyway, the client thinks I'm stupid. He gets a lot of people between 19 and 25 who take lessons from him and he wants me to target them too. The problem with that is that you're essentially INCREASING the number of people who will see your ad without clicking because the percentage of people between 17 and 25 who want driving lessons is less than the percentage of people between 17 and 18 who want driving lessons! Which means you're paying more for your clicks and your money doesn't last as long.

Even for PPC (pay per click) advertising, that's not OK because you're decreasing your CTR (click-through rate) which Google, for example, uses to gauge the quality of your ad and offering. And, if your quality-score is low, your ad costs more for the same position! So, once again, you're spending more bucks for (potentially) less results.

Rather advertise to 10 people who already want what you have than try and reach 100 who don't.

Out of the 10, your conversion can be anywhere between 3% and 7%, out of the 100, you'd be lucky to get 1%.

Hope this helps someone out there. As always, I'm not professing to be a guru, this is just what has (or has not) worked for me.

NB: My forum has gotten 100 new members this month thanks to the above "strategy". In previous months, with no advertising, we averaged 20-30. That's a 500%+ increase in signups!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    word of mouth is the only form of advertising for me and has been for more than 17 years now...it must be work.

it all depends on the product or service you are selling
    Nothing will ever beat word-of-mouth. But if you have a new service or you're testing out the market before developing something WORTH talking about, you're better off paying for some exposure until you can tweak your offering to be something people will talk about.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks Norio. Your experience and insight is indeed helpful. I am gonna give facebook a try and see how it compares to google ads.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast