Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerful, Affordable Advertising...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Are we going to differentiate in this thread between advertising and marketing?

There is a substantial difference.
    Hmmm, too right, Dave! Let's keep it for Advertising. Marketing would require an entire forum dedicated to it
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norri View Post
    Marketing would require an entire forum dedicated to it
    That was the idea

Ryan, I think that is the challenge here. Clearly, Web 2.0 fits into marketing, but let's focus on advertising spend.

Consider this for a moment:

Vernon Koekemoer is essentially a Web 2.0 phenomenon. But look at where he is popping up in paid advertising - offline media! So what does that tell us?

To me the signs are clear - You can become a personality online nowadays, but when commercial advertising starts grinding its wheels to use that star value - look at where they are running the ads.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    To me the signs are clear - You can become a personality online nowadays, but when commercial advertising starts grinding its wheels to use that star value - look at where they are running the ads.
    Do you think most people possibly eat in front of a TV, and therefore advertising food (grilled chicken in this case) on TV at appropriate times is possibly a good way of priming people to substitute their current meal for grilled chicken?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    I whole-heartedly agree with you Dave, I think that is indicative of the most effective medium for advertising,where you get through to the people. Too expensive for us though I do like watching the market leaders as opposed to the second's as a market leader has to fight very hard to stay number 1, and they are doing 'defensive advertising' which is different from aggressive marketing.

I don't think flyers and posters do the job, not from what I have seen, even billboards failed with one client, so I am dubious at best as we humans have filtered out almost all of the noise.

You might tend to find the young bloods on-line a lot, so that's cool, but the majority of them will not exactly be rolling in money, so I am still not sure about going that route.

The best, best way of advertising is socializing, though we don't want to know it, my experience bears that out. We have one client that is absolutely fantastic at generating sales in this way, and I have actually calculated his return on expenditure, and you can see it paying off on sales, and it became a way to predict sales for that company I would not recommend this route if you are not a social animal ( and I don't mean slogging back the drinks) or if you are not a 'finished product' as an individual.

Every business usually have what I call a 'face man', someone who can fill that function.
    Best advertising I have seen. Sorry Norri, I am terribly old school when it comes to this

For ex. microsoft is the begin all end all and their new accounting 2008 download site looks horrible,and every time I try to download a demo version i seem to hit a loop, or my line dips as it takes 1 hour 30 odd minutes to download. that after 1 bil dollars and 30 people on the project? Won't hurt them, but it would hurt me a great deal, so i am cautious.

With my new marketing idea, I find it hard to differentiate betwix marketing and avertising, so I might be making an elementary mistake and fall flat on my face....or I am just blending the two. It will be one hell of an expensive mistake, and I have actually saved up for it!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    Do you think most people possibly eat in front of a TV, and therefore advertising food (grilled chicken in this case) on TV at appropriate times is possibly a good way of priming people to substitute their current meal for grilled chicken?
    Good point (although I have been known to eat and cruise the internet at the same time, doing it right now actually ) - but what about the Vodacom ads? They tapped into Vernon too and again, offline. In fact, best I can tell, they were the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    You might tend to find the young bloods on-line a lot, so that's cool, but the majority of them will not exactly be rolling in money, so I am still not sure about going that route.
    The idea is to get them young. Their spend improves and people don't change brands that easily when the decision is fairly subjective.

I also recall some uproar about marketing to juveniles resulting in harrassed parents somewhere along the line. Little diddums would bug mom and pops dilly to buy some doll/sweet/whatever because of the cute kid addiction generating ad. A good example - who is Ronald McDonald appealing to? If the kid isn't affecting the buying decision, why bother with something like Ronald McDonald?

Marketing to youth should not be underestimated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    I find it hard to differentiate betwix marketing and avertising,
    That might not be such a bad thing. If you just think advertising you narrow your thinking. Advertising is only part of a marketing strategy. Back to Coke - why is the bottle shaped that way? That isn't about advertising, but it is part of marketing.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Alta Murray (30-Jul-08)

Thanks
    Oi, sounds like marketing ala Micheal Jackson I do wonder about brand loyalty though, I can not think of a single thing that I loved when I was young, that I appreciate now, and okay I now *am* older than Clicks, but give me an example of a brand that you are still loyal to. Lee jeans still get a vote from me, but only if there is nothing to compete with it, I used to love a Chopper bicycle, but they are not around anymore, so I think I might still have latent loyalty lingering on that score. Will get one if I can.

The bottle is brilliant but please let me know what brands you still are loyal to, perhaps I'm missing out on something. And just remember, it will be the same for the young ones, by the time they are a force to be reckoned with, they will have more choices too.

My first bike was a Honda, loved it to bits, and I was in St.5, but I am not a Honda fan today. I am a staunch Audi fan, but that is because of the image and the people that drive the cars, as opposed to merc and bmw, and I do hope I am stepping on some toes here but it came later in life, not when I was young.

As a woman I didn't even stay loyal to one beauty house, nor perfume, I don't get it, please explain. I get the micky dees and toys, but if you are not in those kiddy related industries, what's the point then?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The question probably should be - why did you change brands?

But for now (and let's see what everyone comes up with). My list of things I've stuck with for ages:
    Bank
    Deodorant (possibly my wife's decision though)
    Cigs
    Pen

There are probably more... but thinking about it, a lot of brand choices are made by my wife.

Oops! Add coffee. That's mine too. Although if she insisted on something else, I'd probably cave
    EDIT: Add service LDV - although I did change brands 3 years ago that was a 12 year run with one model, let alone brand.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    CC Africa (luxury travel safaris), have a brilliant marketing campaign - Competition with a one week vacation for winner plus 7 friends, enter contact details of said chosen friends, they receive an automated e-mail advising that you chose them to accompany you - should you win!, and asking if they accept the invitation? (Entry naturally has some qualifying questions!) Then your friends enter and list their friends etc. Some duplications, but think of the eventual database of "qualified" clients! Wow! costs restricted to just the prize of 7 people one week vacation! and good software?

Yvonne

Thanks
    I must tell you guys, I've been playing with Facebook Ads a lot these past 2 weeks and the results have been nothing short of inspiring!

Their CPM ads give you serious value for money. I set up an ad over the weekend and got 20-something targeted clicks to my guitar forum at about $0.01 a click!

The CPC model is much pricier though.

Just remember, when you set up an ad there, to be as specific with your demographics as possible. It means paying less for better qualified leads!
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe something for another thread, but Norri, have you got any tips to share on ad targetting for Adwords, Facebook etc. ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast