According to Robert Kiyosaki, an asset is something that you own that makes you money. I tend to agree with that definition.

The most obvious type of asset under this definition is a rental property. However, for a small-time or 1st-time investor like me, that's quite a stretch.

My question to you, then, is what else can be considered an asset under this definition that can be attained for between R10k and R100k? Preferably something capable of bringing in R500 or more per month, with a little bit of maintenance.

If possible, post a reason why you think it makes money and why it can be so affordable. A web site that makes R100k a month will not be sold for less than a coupla million, so please keep it realistic.

I'll start the list...

1. A small web site promoting an affiliate product. You can build one of these or buy an already-successful one. If you build one, expect to spend at least 3 months working on getting targeted traffic via SEO before it makes significant income. Buying is a great option, if you can get the seller to prove what kind of money the site makes.

Over to you...