Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staff transport problems tomorrow?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Staff transport problems tomorrow?

I'm being told by my staff that use public transport that they don't expect to be in to work tomorrow (9 July) due to the COSATU protest action. Anyone else getting these reports?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    yip same here. Taxi/Busses are striking due to petrol pricing etc.... why dont we do that?
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've had the usual pleading that we make it a paid holiday.

I really can't bring myself to deny my staff the opportunity to make their own personal sacrifice to such a worthy cause...

Read: Corporate BS for "Normal work conditions apply"

Thanks
    So I'm having a mid morning break, having to run with no staff today and I am thinking.........'Why do I need staff and perhaps a few less would do me good and wondering what they actually do all day long?'

Asked what the economic impact of the strike would be, Madisha said: "The intent of the strike is to hurt. We don't go on strikes to say 'hee hee hee'.

"If 40% of adults are not working it is a crisis."

The purpose of the strike was to "pull the country's ears" so that South Africans are hurt and will act to remedy the problem, Madisha said, pulling his own ears.
    News24 article here

From my point of view they may have just added to their problem.

This striking for more employment is like f%"*ing for virginity. What is their problem???????

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
    yip same here. Taxi/Busses are striking due to petrol pricing etc.... why dont we do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    This striking for more employment is like f%"*ing for virginity. What is their problem???????
    Sometimes I wonder if we aren't too rational about this.

Thanks
    Marq, that virginity comment is a classic!

But the whole quote - it is ridiculous! So if 40% of adults are not working it's a crisis, if all of them are not it's a strike.

(BTW, the actual unemployment figure is more like 23%. The 40% figure is based on the entire country's population, while the 23% figure is based on those that fall into the working age of 16-65. Maybe they believe in child labour?)

Oh, and he forgot a word from his sentence, it should read, "The intent of the strike is to hurt ourselves."

Striking for these reasons is just plain retarded. Strike for better working conditions, strike for fair wages, but striking about the petrol/food/booze price is stupid. You strike for petrol, you strike a rock.

Maybe the retards should try taking a course in economy - increase productivity (less strikes) and decrease inflation.

Thinking about it, maybe they are right: Strike for inflation!
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

7. Thanks given for this post:

Chatmaster (09-Jul-08)

Thanks
    Welcome to Africa! After the recent fines imposed on Tiger Brands for their involvement in price fixing, shouldn't that have caused food prices to come down? Or are they using the fine as an excuse to keep prices high?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As these strikes keep rippling around the country, I see Trevor Manuel has met Zwelinzima Vavi, general secretary of Cosatu, to discuss issues.
    South Africa's Finance Minister Trevor Manuel convened a meeting on Thursday between the Treasury and the Congress of South Africa Trade Unions (Cosatu) in an effort to resolve the numerous socioeconomic and economic challenges facing the country.

Zwelinzima Vavi, general secretary of Cosatu, said that while the discussions showed that changes had to be made, they had just "opened the can" without resolving any issues.

Manuel said the discussions took place against the backdrop of the current strike by Cosatu.

"We have to find solutions to the strike -- it can't just go on and on, we need to solve the problem," said Vavi.

"We have got to show workers something," he added, noting that the impact of inflation was one of the issues that had been discussed.

Manuel said that while the discussions did not touch on CPIX and inflation, all countries reweighted their index every few years.

"We have to give sufficient attention to the scale of unemployment in our country," said Manuel.
    full story from M&G here
    Listening to an interview of Trevor Manuel after the meeting, I got the sense that Trevor was trying to give an international perspective on the inflation situation - I guess trying to get COSATU to understand that this is an international problem and the strikes were not helping solve the problem.

Time will tell if the message got through, but I've got a hunch the rolling strike action is going to continue. It's just too easy a hot button to press to gain populist support.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    My maid has told me that a newspaper has printed an article that taxi drivers are going to provide free transport to Pietermaritzburg - Zuma's trial protest, and it is going to be on the same day as the National Cosatu Strike!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure the fact that the COSATU strike in Pietermaritzburg just happens to be on the same day as the next court date of the JZ corruption trial is entirely coincidental

Certainly a good day to stay out of central Pietermaritzburg - unless you're a journalist looking for a dramatic story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast