Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crime in South Africa

Thanks

Crime in South Africa

Now I know it is no news that SA has amongst the highest crime in the world but I am currently researching a project and found this interesting data.

World wide murder figures
    Murder by firearms
    Police per capita
    Prisoners per capita

Needless to say, the figures clearly indicate that the problem is much more serious than most of our politicians say it is.

I want to ask though, does anyone have a good contribution on how we as the public can tell our employees (government) to improve our crime problem?
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This story certainly sends a message.
    An alleged thief, who walked past the front of a shop he burgled earlier this week, got the beating of his life when an alert shop owner saw him wearing clothes stolen from his shop.

On being asked where he got the clothes, the man immediately started running away.

Members of the public apprehended him and beat him, causing serious injuries.

"We have resorted to mob justice here, because we are fed up with the crime in this area," said Hassen Mohideen, chairperson of Sector Policing Forum (SPF) in Marabastad.

According to Mohideen, the shop owner saw the man on Thursday night and reported him to a police officer - who refused to arrest the suspect.
    full story from IOL here
    There is another allegation of the police refusing to arrest further on in the story, and another story pretty close to home seems to confirm this is spreading as a problem.

In my case, a friend had a break-in into his house. The alarm was tripped and the burglar was chased by the next door neighbour as the burglar was scrambling out a window. A passer-by managed to "subdue" the fleeing burglar in the street (said passer-by knocked the guy out cold, apparently) and he was dragged back to the driveway of the house he had broken into.

The police duly arrived and refused to arrest the burglar because he had not stolen anything (yet?). What about forced entry and trespass for goodness sake? Only once another neighbour arrived to see what all the fuss was about, and reported that he had a bicycle disappear off his premises shortly after finding the same person wandering around his garden did the police agree to take the burglar away. Four weeks later and there has been no statements taken or anything that gives any sign that the burglar was not simply released.

So maybe "mob justice" is the way to go. Striking for employment, lower food prices etc. seems to get attention. Maybe the occasional thief getting thoroughly spanked might pursuade the police to stop being spectators.

Thanks
    This sounds like a great idea for the next poll? The thing that worries me about mob justice is the fact that it's illegal. I've heard of people being arrested for acts of mob justice. Even helping your neighbor by beating up someone that just robbed him, can actually get you into serious trouble. Where's the logic in that? Why does our justice system insist on protecting criminals?

Thanks
    I think this 911 call is appropriate for this discussion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-y7E02PD3I

Last edited by Dave A; 11-Jul-08 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is youtube having server problems? I got the "this video is no longer available" message and I understand this is happening quite a lot these days.

EDIT: following the link, the comments give a clue as to why this video might have been removed

Thanks
    Nope it is there, there are several ones of his 911 recording, just try again.

Thanks
    Works fine for me. Is this what starts vigilante groups?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll have to try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Is this what starts vigilante groups?
    There wouldn't be a need for mob justice if the police were doing their job. In a way an SPF really is just an organised and sanctioned vigilante group. But if they are handing over to the police, and the police aren't following through on that, where to from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel32 View Post
    The thing that worries me about mob justice is the fact that it's illegal. I've heard of people being arrested for acts of mob justice.
    If police are not arresting criminals, but are arresting people for "mob justice," there's something wrong with that too. Ultimately, are incidents of mob justice the people's fault or a result of ineffective policing?

Thanks
    The problem with mob justice is that it is extremely irrational (normally driven by anger) and easily manipulated. Innocent people end up getting hurt.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    The problem with mob justice is that it is extremely irrational (normally driven by anger) and easily manipulated. Innocent people end up getting hurt.
    Duncan this is different from the SAPS how?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast