Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crime in South Africa

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Duncan this is different from the SAPS how?
    Point taken.

The problem we have at the moment is that the SAPS is broken. Mob justice is almost an expectation under our current circumstances, but I would far rather have a functional SAPS. Mob justice places even more pressure on a already dysfunctional service.

We are faced with a whole lot of problems though - ones which go back at least 50 years (read Cry the Beloved Country), as well as new ones being propagated via well-intentioned, but misdirected government programmes.

In a lot of ways we need to fix the fabric of our society, and maybe we are relying on the wrong institutions to do that. A lot of the problems probably can't be fixed by institutions, but only by people, only by relations.

The thing that I am worried about is that changing our current paradigm is going to require the death of a whole generation, and what will we have bred in the meantime?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Duncan
    The cure could be easy if the political leadership wanted it. Instead they are fighting with each other and constantly trying to score points against everyone. If they had our welfare and SA's welfare at heart they would sort it out. Will it happen nah.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    this is different from the SAPS how?
    Touché!

I'm not trying to encourage mob justice. What I am trying to say is that incidents of mob justice point to a failure by the law enforcement authorities and/or the justice system.

And perhaps in a broader context, government does not seem to act on problems until the situation becomes extreme. Now what is that teaching our citizens? If you want something to change, you have to go extreme.

EDIT: Hadn't read page 2 when I posted that

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    EDIT: Hadn't read page 2 when I posted that
    Dave
    You can change the number of posts you see per page

Thanks
    The cure could be easy if the political leadership wanted it.
    This is where I start to scratch my head a bit though - is our society a function of our political leadership, or is our political leadership a function of our society?

People have some sort of sway over who gets pushed up the leadership ladder. If we look at what is happening now we are seeing the rise of a populist leader who represents corruption, greed, and a number of other unsavoury things. This, I believe, is more a feature of our society than of government.

Hence we have to ask ourselves whether government can effect social change, and the only answer that we are left with is no. The last 14 years have proved this. Conversely society can effect political change.

Finally, the awkward question: if society can effect political change, are we, as a part of society, to blame for the lack of political leadership?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    I think that a great many whites (and others) are doing what they can to try to moderate the behaviour of the hooligan element but we are so few and they are so many - and our influence cannot reach the townships. It is terribly sad - we hear chapter and verse from our domestic servants and one wonders where it is all going to end.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    This is where I start to scratch my head a bit though - is our society a function of our political leadership, or is our political leadership a function of our society?
    Duncan
    Part of the problem is inertia, the majority of SA seem to be happy with ANC, who has learnt from the NP. They play on the "wit gevaar" fears the latest phrase being "I will kill for Zuma" which means "I love Zuma". So until the majority see crime as problem and not wit gevaar there is no hope.

What can we do is look for a viable opposition and get them to move from a racial outlook on SA into the pressing issues of the day. The how is the challenge.
    Last edited by IanF; 13-Jul-08 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Paragraph line inserted

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dave
    You can change the number of posts you see per page
    True, but I keep it at 10 posts per page for quick loading.
    is our society a function of our political leadership, or is our political leadership a function of our society?
    The cynical answer is the politician seeks the appearance of representing the will of the populace. But reality is very much the reverse. Leadership is by definition influence, which means the views of the populace is shaped by its leaders. Or at least, very heavily influenced - otherwise they wouldn't be leaders.
    People have some sort of sway over who gets pushed up the leadership ladder.
    I don't think so, at least not here. This is where proportional representation is really causing problems; it's your influence in the party, not the electorate that determines who gets to the top rungs of the ladder. The electorate has no direct influence over the political future of any individual, except in the really small parties, maybe.

This is particularly evident in the shift at Polokwane. Can one really say that came from the electorate? Ultimately, it was a concerted campaign by COSATU, the CP and the ANCYL that drove the change. Sure, they wrapped it up in "will of the people" rhetoric, but in retrospect it looks like it was the ambition of leaders that felt marginalised under the Thabo Mbeki regime that seems to be the real motivation.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i decided to join the very few that take a stand and do something about the crime in this country instead of just complaining and sending ridiculous emails (like thats gona stop the crime)...i went to the mosely neighbourhood watch meeting for the first time last night.

to my suprise there are people out there trying...there were people who do night patrols while we are all sleep worrying if our family are safe...there were councilors at the meeting...there is an sms system which works well...there were tips on safety and security...updates on the crime stats...etc...etc.

the point i am trying to make is if you are one of the people who sit at a braai for 6 hours mouning about the crime or you sit at work all day complaining about the crime and want to leave the country because the crime is so bad...get off you backside and join your local neighbouhood watch...the meeting took just over 2 hours...and if you are tooo lazy or just dont have the time to assist with the patrols etc...there are other people who are they just need your support...as mentioned during the meeting in numbers we can overcome the crime in this country...so stop whining and get pro active...or do what the 900 000 visa applicants are doing...move to "greener" pastures.

Thanks
    Yes I agree, join and get active in your local CPF.

They usually meet once a month and the cops report back on crime in your sector so you know what to look out for.

You also get advice on how to protect your property etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast