Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Easy way to stop smoking

Thanks

Easy way to stop smoking

I've been a smoker on and off for many many years. As with many other smokers, I have always started again at some point. I would always find some reason to start again.

Last year a friend gave me a book called "Allen Carr's - Easy way to stop smoking". I wanted to stop, but I didn't want to go through the effort of reading the book and then end up not quitting. With great hesitation I started reading the book, and eventually stopped reading after 10 pages. Not exactly what you expected me to say was it?

The only reason why I admit that I didn't finish the book is because a month ago I found the book again, and finished it. It took me about 2 evening to finish reading it. What I read in there changed my life forever. The first thing that comes to mind is a long list of reasons not to smoke. Instead the book focuses on reasons to continue smoking.

In the entire book there's about 2 or 3 pages of medical facts, but before you get to them the author encourages you to skip ahead if you are not yet convinced you will stop smoking. You will never read anything to shock you into quitting. The author encourages you to continue smoking until you have finished reading the entire book. He also tells you to light up several times during the book. Quitting has never been this much fun!

I don't exactly know how, but the closer I got to the end of the book...the less I felt like smoking. Sure as hell, when I got to the end, I got up and threw my almost-full packet of cigarettes with my lighter into the garbage. I have not yet had any mood swings, overeating, cravings etc. I'm living a normal life, almost like I've never smoked before...ever.

I celebrate my 4 weeks of not smoking this Thursday (3 July). If you are a smoker, or your partner is a smoker, please try and get this book. It will change your life forever.

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (01-Jul-08), enyaw (07-Jul-08), Loman (10-Jan-09)

Thanks
    Ooooh, thank you so,so much. So he is using the old reverse trick, and me being so hard-headed it might just give me a shot at something I have been failing at for so many years.

Thanks
    If it's the only thing you do for yourself this year, get the book. They even have clinics that can help you if you really don't like to read. I believe they have a few here in South Africa. Not many places can claim a 95% success rate. Personally I can't believe it's only 95%

After you quit smoking (and you will), please pass the book on to a friend.

Thanks
    Just a bit more motivation for you guys....

Time Smoke-Free: 26 days, 4 hours, 23 minutes and 20 seconds
    Cigarettes NOT smoked: 393
    Lifetime Saved: 3 days
    Money Saved: R 390.00

I registered quitnet.com when I quit, and they send me a email twice per month to remind me why I quit in the first place. As you can see above, I've saved some money...and some precious time between the living.

Thanks
    Well, I will most certainly not need the clinic, I am a word glutton, absolutely crazy about reading, and my books cost me a packet every month, so I think I am sorted in that department.

We are 5 people that are goin to hit the book as we all find it so irritating to smoke, it was great in the olden days, but now that it is not socially acceptable to smoke anymore, it is becoming a drag ( no pun intended)

When we were travelling in the UK I made a profound observation, profound to me anyway. We were travelling in the smoking coach aboard the scottish flyer, and let me tell you, we were humming, it was loads of fun in there, everyone talking to everyone, a hoot.

I then took a stroll through the rest of the train, and the non-smokers were all sitting quietly,reading or taking in the blurred landscape, not making eye contact at all. That made me wonder if it takes a certain personality type to light up, and of course I then read the research done by Eugene Marias on addiction in primates which holds this to be true.

But know this -- I am so very proud of you & you are a real inspiration to me at this stage, and every day that you are habit free is a victory!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    But know this -- I am so very proud of you & you are a real inspiration to me at this stage, and every day that you are habit free is a victory!!!!
    Thanks, I really appreciate the support. And yes, its a victory for sure! I will not mention anything else about the book till you have finished reading it, but that will not keep me from bugging you till you do

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Murray View Post
    We were travelling in the smoking coach aboard the scottish flyer, and let me tell you, we were humming, it was loads of fun in there, everyone talking to everyone, a hoot.

I then took a stroll through the rest of the train, and the non-smokers were all sitting quietly...
    On my first convention trip to the USA I had a similar experience.

I was travelling with a colleague - a non-smoker. To cover as much ground as possible, we'd go scurrying around seperately for large chunks of the day and then compare notes from time to time. At the end of the trip, our joke was that I learned more on the smoking balconies then we did combined working the convention.

Something about the sense of comraderie? I always joke that we are "the banished." It's become a club of sorts, hasn't it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Something about the sense of comraderie? I always joke that we are "the banished." It's become a club of sorts, hasn't it.
    Another smoker? HAH! I think I might have found my calling in life

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's cool, kernel32. Just don't do a Tony Factor on us. He got quite well known for his quit smoking rallies, but then after the show guess who was lighting up

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    That's cool, kernel32. Just don't do a Tony Factor on us. He got quite well known for his quit smoking rallies, but then after the show guess who was lighting up
    That reminds me of a time someone tried to sell me a spray that was supposed to be a miracle cure for nicotine addiction. I didn't have any cash on me at the time, but I wanted to try it out. 5mins later I saw the guy walking around with a smoke in his mouth. Made me wonder why he didn't use the spray himself!

I started this thread because I really believe in this method. I've seen it work on other people, and myself. I told my friend who gave me the book (after he quit by using it) how could I ever repay him. He told me that getting someone else to read it would be great. That's how I feel now. I feel I have to spread the word.

You can't force somebody to try this, but if you keep pointing them in the right direction...you might just save one!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast