Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Stops You from Using Linux?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    Most of the best open source applications run on all the OS'es available (e.g. Firefox), so that really makes the choice of OS for an average office worker irrelevant.
    True but it also has the side-effect of introducing people to the concept of opensource, free stuff. I remember many years ago, when I started looking at PHP and Apache (on Windows) I thought, "Wow, if they have this for free, I wonder what else they have."

And so began my journey into the world of opensource, linux, etc.
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norri View Post
    ......... also has the side-effect of introducing people to the concept of opensource, free stuff. I remember many years ago, when I started looking at PHP and Apache (on Windows) I thought, "Wow, if they have this for free, I wonder what else they have."
    Exactly what I was trying to explain in the 100 free books example.
    Last edited by Karenwhe; 01-Jul-08 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Debbie - you got me wondering what my AW Stats would look like then. Looking at June there is a difference, but not that much when it comes to Linux. The big difference was Mac.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	os_awstat.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	426

In terms of obvious stat generation differences, I notice AW Stats does the calculation based on hits whereas Google Analytics does it on visits.

I'm going to ask for feedback on this from some big board sites.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Would be interesting to see the feedback Dave - our sites are not related to PC or PC users in any way. I suspect that there will be a marked difference in stats when looking at those sites as well.
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Not that any thread needs a conclusion but, nonetheless, my personal conclusion to this thread is that you can't (yet) figure out the 1 or 2 things that are stopping people from using Linux in their businesses because, right now, there are FAR more 1 or 2.

For me, it's a different story because I started off as a Linux geek and gave myself business and marketing skills along the way. For the average computer user and business owner, it's still a massive struggle but they (the Linux community) are definitely making significant headway, especially with the like of Ubuntu (+ everything Shuttleworth) and Google helping the process along.

Chances are, if it wasn't for Ubuntu, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Linux would still VERY much be a server thing and not stand a chance in hell on the desktop. Right now, it stands a very good chance in hell. But only there. For now :P

Thanks for the great input guys, was a fun debate and I hope it continues!
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    You deserve some serious credit for keeping an open mind Norri. Usually the Linux/Windows fights are based on personal experience and personal preference. Stating the facts like you did, doesn't happen too often. I couldn't help but agree with you. Linux is not ready for the desktop yet, but we have to give the opensource guys some credit for getting this far. Linux might be ready for a real fight some day.

Personally, I think they should stop adding features, and concentrate on perfecting the current set. It's not just them though, I've been working on the same project for over 4 years. 5% of the work goes into improving old stuff. 45% goes into bug fixes on the old stuff. The other 50% goes into new features. 80% of these new features weren't requested by anybody, they just seemed like a good idea at the time (to the boss). Pretty damn frustrating!!!

Thanks
    This article on The Featuritis Curve is worth a read. There was another post with a graph that I saw somewhere which basically said that features with open source products grow linearly with time.

It really has to do with the type of people involved in a project. Hackers (and tinkerers) like to play with new features, and maintenance does not fulfil that need. The thing is, turning a good product into a great product requires sanding, finishing, polishing (and more polishing). Being able to say No is what can turn a good product into a great one.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel32 View Post
    You deserve some serious credit for keeping an open mind Norri.
    I'd like to support that thought too. I was tempted to come back on the difference between ownership and leadership, but Norri nailed the real core issue here - the difference between server and desktop expectations! To be fair, if you look at his opening post it was clear that he had already identified this as a major issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by duncan drennan View Post
    The thing is, turning a good product into a great product requires sanding, finishing, polishing (and more polishing). Being able to say No is what can turn a good product into a great one.
    Which reminds me - got two little pieces of sanding and polishing to do here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123