Thread: Quickbooks Premier 2008 - Complaint

Silver Member
    Thanks

Quickbooks Premier 2008 - Complaint

Anyone considering upgrading their Qbooks to Premier 2008 needs to be very careful if they are wanting to make use of accessing files from remote locations.

Firstly one free year and then additional fees may apply!

As our IT person said, this is like selling a BMW and saying after one years "free" use you need to pay additional charges for using the airconditioner!.

To completely ensure we achieved our objective to work remotely, we purchased a server plus new laptops etc. to make use of this facility.

Our IT consultant checked with Qbooks in advance and was told no problem!

We then had problems and could only get support by purchasing a new program.

Various problems including a Vat corruption which Support know about in advance, which is considered to be data fixing and as such consultancy fees are due to "fix" the problem, other questions which have no resolution (cusomization of invoice forms!) are far better in the older versions,
    I never got the feeling anyone was interested in helping sort out problems, but was told "You have a 30 day money back guarantee" !

Support from QBooks (EasyBiz) seem to feel that 4-5 minutes waiting, with the program constantly "not responding" is "Acceptable".
    Their support say yes, there is remote access, and seem to accept that it is VERY slow. Even said that the program says access files remotely, but there is nothing to say at what speed that access is!

This is completely misleading advertising.

I could never, ever work that slow, I would literally go insane.

I think I could read an entire chapter of a book whilst waiting if I want to run a report!
    All the IT requirements are in place.

So I am going to return the program and make use of the money back guarantee.

Their support gives conflicting advice.

It is not possible to have the program on a server - only the data!

Days of costs for the IT consultant, and I am precisely in the same position as when I started, except now we have to recapture all the last two weeks work.

So, my advice, based solely on my personal experience!:

If you need to upgrade QBooks, seriously consider "weaning" your bookkeeping to another program rather.

Soon the slogan will be Find out why X number of clients "No longer use QBooks"

Yvonne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The remote speed problem seems to be because the program resides on the calling computer and the database resides on the server. It's frustrating enough over a 100 Mbps LAN. It must be a nightmare over an internet connection.

If requests were processed on the server and all that went back to the calling machine was the relevant screen display, it would all be much faster.

I assume they've done it this way to make sure each machine used to access the database has a licenced program installed, but they could have done this with a specific remote client architecture version.

The data corruption issue really worries me. I'm going to be sitting tight on my existing, perfectly functional 2003 version for now until I hear news that all this is cleaned up.

Thanks

Thumbs down Qbooks

Last year during the initial Vista problems when qbooks did not have a compatible version available, I went through their hoops. Even though I was a long time qbooks user they didn't care about any sort of problems.

Shortly after, to solve the problem, I had to upgrade to the 2006 version. I purchased the regular version as it covered all that I required. To convert my existing files I had to upgrade to the pro version purely because the regular version was unable to convert previous versions that had used the multicurrency feature. version 2007 was not going to be released and I was told to wait for the 2008 version. Put your business on hold, don't do any admin stuff because sometime in the future (we dont know when) the new version will solve all your problems.

So similarly I had to buy the top model because I required a temporary spare wheel that the regular version didnt have. Total rip off. When I told them this they ignored me.

I am only using qbooks as I do not have the time to convert and recapture my business, but if I start a new business or have the time - Quickbooks will definitely not be my choice of accounting package.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Managed to obtain the purchase price back - program box offers a money back guarantee - Makro did not want to refund, eventually after much argument and telephone calls between Makro and QBooks, that was sorted out.

QBooks said they would not refund the two additional users licence (R4,000 plus Vat!) went a little crazy! was told that they will discuss this with their manager, actually said we should have checked out the program first for the money back guarantee, and only then arranged the upgade to the users licenses?

Well Qbooks have now agreed verbally to refund the additional users license fee, I will only count on that when the money paid is back in our bank account!

Reloaded (and have had to recapture days of work!) our 2004 QBooks PRO -and have absolutely no problem working remotely! and at a decent speed.

But QBooks cannot sell us the extra user license I need for 2004 !
    Key Installation Codes are no longer available? for 2004 -
    This I don't understand, I have to purchase the 2006 QBooks to enable me to purchase the license to use it for three users in total.

Naturally I am loath to spend anything further on this matter!

So anyone having a 2006 Qbooks program - if you may in the future require an additional license for a user - had better purchase one now before being "forced" to purchase 2008 QBooks.

I have spent hours during the last few weeks trying out other programs, trying to find one that has the same features as QBooks - the ability to "alter" errors is the only reason that I am going to continue using QBooks.

So all existing QBook users, "guard" your existing programs!

Pastel offer an annual subscription and update for approx R 900 per annum, whether you use the update or not, you still obtain full support.

Seems very obvious to me which company put their client's interests first, and which "forces" users to additional costs and complications without caring about their clients!

Yvonne

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    I have spent hours during the last few weeks trying out other programs, trying to find one that has the same features as QBooks - the ability to "alter" errors is the only reason that I am going to continue using QBooks.
    Yvonne
    Yvonne
    I use econoaccounting and you can alter entries or even delete and reinput them. You can even talk to the developer Keith. Link http://www.econoaccounting.co.za/ I am not sure about multiuser though. He is based in Orange Grove. The best thing from my point of view is you download your bank statements direct into your cashbook then it reconciles, and it remembers autoallocations. So your software sub consistently goes to subscriptions and not what you thought you put it to last month.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!