Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how about this one...is it a scam or what?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Thumbs down The pyramid letter scam

this looks fishy...anyone had this one ?

How to become a millionaire in just three (3) months!
    Read this letter carefully, you will be glad that you received it

My name is Len Nathan. In December 1998 my printing business went bankrupt because of the poor state of the economy. My 2 cars were repossessed and debt collectors were hounding me like you won’t believe. I owed R885 600-00 and insolvency or prison was my only future. My family, my reputation, sanity and my life was at stake. (I became very ill).

In January the following year I received a letter advertising How to make R3,2 million within 3 months for an investment of only R300-00. I thought it was a joke! R3,2 million? Impossible; absolutely impossible, never in a million years! I spoke to my advocate and friends about it and they said I would be stupid to try it and would be wasting my time. But after 3 days of desperate struggle in court to stay out of jail, I decided I had nothing to lose.

My family and I enthusiastically (out of desperation) grabbed the slim opportunity available to us and sent R100-00 to each of the 3 names on the Become a millionaires list We also distributed 3600 photocopies of the letter in the Newlands area by hand!

Within 8 days the money started rolling in, thousands and thousands. I could not believe it R100 300-00 within 12 days, R130 000-00 within 62 days and R580400-00 within 90 days. I became a millionaire within 3 months and 3 days exactly. I have a new house in Clifton, 2 new BMW5, a happy family, no debt, better health and thousands a month to spend on investments, luxuries and holidays all over the world, I now also have a clothing and printing business..
    If you follow the 3 - step instructions in this letter you can become a millionaire within 3 months. The Make a Million system is a legitimate opportunity that, cannot fail to earn you a lot of money. For this unique opportunity you are required to make an investment of R300-00.
    If you really do not want to make money & become financially independent, then please pass this on to someone close to you who might benefit from making millions in cash!
    It you follow the instructions and if you are HONEST by NOT changing the order of the name list and you honestly MAKE the deposits to the 3 names on your list and you have mailed it to at least 200 people: then you will see a huge difference in your bank account within 90 days. You WILL be successful by being HONEST. Do not expect results if you cheat and remember the saying, What goes around, might(and would probably) come around It means you could be cheated!
    STEP 1
    If you have Internet banking then this will be easy ... Alternatively call on the different banks and deposit R100-00 into each of the following accounts below. Ensure you use the CORRECT account numbers please!

1) J PILLAY
    STD BANK Acc: *********
    Branch Code: 04262610

2) DE POTGIETER
    ABSA Bank Acc: *********
    Branch Code: 630237

3) L NORTJE
    STD. Bank Acc: *********
    Branch Code: 014637

REMEMBER: This is a legitimate service for which you are paying. The listed people have bought this opportunity, as you will and you will send it through to others. Theres a saying always spend a small amount before you can expect to receive lots of it!

STEP 2
    Enter the millionaires list by putting your name with your banking details in POSITION NO.1, move the two other names on the list down by one position. The current No:1 moves to No: 2 and No: 2 moves to No: 3 The current No: 3 will fall away. Your name will be at NO.1.

STEP 3
    Get at least 200 names and addresses at random from a telephone directory or make use of collected business cards. Also make use of newspaper, Jobmail, Junkmail, etc. Now- e-mail these page ASAP! Dont forget to send to friends, family and people at your work, and dont forget your own e-mail address. You can alternatively make photocopies and deliver by hand in the area you work or live. (Just tip-ex the names and re-write in the correct order by hand) Keep in mind the more copies that go out, the more money rolls in!

Next:
    If you are honest and paid RIOO.OO to the 3 names, then Sit back and relax and watch those Rl0O.00 notes flow in ,it is that easy!
    Remember that by the time your name is at Number 3 you will be richer than rich. As soon as you send your 200 copies (the minimum) you are automatically in business and people are sending you R100s from all over.

I FEEL IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO SHARE THIS SECRET WITH YOU AND ALLOW YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME FINACIALL (INDEPENDENT. BUT, IT IS ALLUP TO YOU TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. I WANT TO UNDERLINE AND STRESS THAT EVERYONE MUST FOLLOW THE RULES AND BE HONEST AND PAY YOUR R100.OO TO EACH PERSON!

ONLY CHANGE NAMES AS PER STEP 2. PEOPLE WILL RELY ON YOU AS YOU WILL ON THEM. IT WORKED FOR ME AND OTHERS, THERFORE IT WILL WORK FOR YOU. TAKE THIS SECRET AND USE IT, WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE?

Here are two letters from participants that took part in previous mailings:

Dear Lenin,
    About seven months age I received your letter. I was very tempted to take part, but my family and a work crisis
    prevented it and I placed your letter to one side. I was soon made redundant at work and couldnt think of a worse position to be in. I then remembered your letter and not expecting much, thought I would give t a try. One week went by after I deposited Ri 00.00 to each of the names on my list. In the second week I started to receive a small amount of replies, and by the third week it was unbelievable! I made Ri 00,700-00 in two months. In such a short period of time it is the most money I have ever seen, never mind earned. It was like winning a state lottery or something. I am grateful for receiving your letter and to have the opportunity to make a lot of money. I am already sending out more letters and want to be a millionaire before the end of the year. Thank you very much and may God bless you

Dear Lenin,
    I am skeptical by nature and did net believe that your Make A Million business would work. Anyway, I am a 70-
    year old pensioner and had plenty of time to send out letters. I deposited the RlOO.00 to each of the 3 persons on my list and sent 600 copies of this letter and hoped for the best For six days nothing happened but within the next week I received R4,800-00. I could not wait for each new day. Over the next four months I have received a total .of R3,800,000-00!!! I was amazed! I have been able to move from my small flat and now permanently live in a 5 star hotel in the Strand. I have traveled to Israel, Canada and Australia to visit my children and grandchildren. All my dreams have come true in a matter of months. Many thanks for your letter and may others also benefit from it

HOW IT WORKS:
    Stage 1: Your name on Level 1- You email or maiI 200 copies arid receive 20% response. That means 40 people pay you R100-00. So, your name on Level 1 made you R4000.00, thats nice!
    Stage 2: Your name now moves to Level 2. Each of those 40 people sends 200 copies and receives a 20%
    response. That is 1600 people out of 8000 paying you R100.00 each. Wow a whopping R160,000-OO (We
    assumed each of the 40 in stage 1 only send 200 each, some send way more than that.)
    Stage 3: Your name is now on Level 3. The 1600 people from Level 2 send 200 copies each. That means it goes to
    320,000 people. Now assume another 20Io response from that...64,000 people each paying you R100.00=
    R6,400,000 I!!

OUESTIONS and ANSWERS:
    Q: Is it possible to make millions in a few months?
    A: Yes, it is very possible. Once you have deposited the R100s into the 3 accounts and e-mailed/mailed at least
    200 copies means youre in business..
    Q: Is there a chance I will not make one cent?
    A: It is impossible to NOT make money from this system. According to statistics, even if only one person
    responds you can still make at least R10000-00 - that is not a bad/investment for R300-00?
    Q: When my riches finish, what then?
    A: Just start again and send your original letter to as many people as you wish, That easy!
    Q: How long will it take before I see results?
    A: It can take as little as 3 days. Deposit the monies without delay and send at least 200-300 copies via e-mail ASAP!! You will be surprised, there are many desperate people in South Africa wanting to become financially independent and they have tried other systems that failed. Be positive, you might get a 50% response!
    Q: What are the risks and is it legal?
    A: No risk, no catch No one is forced to join. There is no law against receiving money, just declare it on your tax returns.
    IT IS NOW ALL UP TO YOU TO TAKE UP THE CHALLENGE - WHAT IS THERE TO LOSE?
    The real secret to success is enthusiasm
    Comments anyone?
    Last edited by Dave A; 29-Sep-06 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Censor the bank account numbers
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do you know - a genuine pyramid scheme which has been around since B4 internet has entered the digital era.

I seem to recall the old Post Office had legislation passed that declared posting these letters illegal. And nowadays pyramid schemes are illegal - but what the heck, the law's not stopping illegal medicines....

Mind if I just slip a few of my bank numbers in there and then you guys and gals can go for it - just don't forget to put the R100 into my account first

Thanks
    Yup, this is a re-hash of a very old one
    They actually work for +- 50% of the first few levels, then they fade I know, I've been there!
    Sorry,I forgot to put your R100 in the envelope and I,ve already sealed it!

Thanks
    We actually got one of these in the post the other day!
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Well watch out guys it's doing the rounds again...and more than likely it's going to catch someone who has'nt seen it before...I think if anything comes along we whould report it here to give the guys out there fair warning...some of us are blond and don't always recognise a con...speaking for myself ofcourse.
    "Networking" is my "CONTACT" Sport!"
    Alcocks Electrical Entomological Hygiene

Thanks

Chain Letter

a genuine pyramid scheme
    Actually it is not a pyramid scheme. A pyramid scheme is something where you get people to pay/invest money and you pay others their interest/commission using the new investors' money and there is normally no product or service.

People seems to call something they do not know what it is or something which looks fishy a pyramid scheme.

The thing you described is a Chain Letter which is also illegal in South Africa according to The Dti. So although it is not a pyramid scheme, it is still illegal.

I wanted to upload the DTi Document which explains it but this site's limit for pdf docs is on 97Kb and the document is almost 1 Mb big. So I just uploaded it to my own server. If you want to you can view it at http://www.passive-income.co.za/chainletter.pdf
    Last edited by pietpetoors; 27-Feb-09 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added document

Suspended
    Thanks

Lightbulb Scam yes yes yes

I sometimes wonder about these “pay me this and you will be rich” Systems think about it logically; if there is a way to urn millions by doing almost nothing why will people play the lotto? Fact is anything promising fast money for just a R100 must be considered fishy! But again desperate people do desperate things. Desperation itself is an illness and the victims will conclude “what do I have to lose” Well if it is indeed illegal then I fear you have a lot to lose. But again why do we need money to start with. Fact is that banks use us as salves as do industry. Only a Fool will think that freedom comes with large amounts of money. Only 0.5% of the world’s population is truly free because they not only have wealth they have sustainable wealth that perpetuate indefinitely.

Thanks

Money

Hi Insulin
    For some reason people crave these systems where they do not have to do anything or almost nothing.

One sad thing I see is that people only start looking for more income once it is too late. Most online businesses or MLM businesses takes time to develop and takes time to bring you a good and steady income.

So instead of going for something that is legitimate and that can really make them money, they go for these illegal stuff because they need a quick buck.

What amazes me even more (sorry, I am one of those MLM nuts) is that when you shows people something legitimate where they have to recruit more people in order to make good money, then they will ask questions about the legalities and pyramid schemes etc. But if you give them something like this chain letter they just jump in and go for it.

I started to think that people have all these concerns about MLM because they are too lazy to work and then use their concerns as excuses.

Some of the opportunities on the Internet does work and can bring you a good steady income. The problem is that it takes time to build such an income. Two things happen:
    1. Because people needed extra money yesterday, they give a good opp a go, try it for a week or two, do not see the millions rolling in and then quit and call it a scam.
    2. Some people involved in good opportunities unfortunately promote it as something where you can "sit back and relax and the money will roll in" only so that they can easily recruit people. Unfortunately for then this does not work either, because if you recruit somebody on that basis point No 1 above will happen.

But in this case, the chain letter, it is illegal in South Africa but people fall for it because it promise a quick buck for little to no effort.
    Only Dead Fish go with the Flow
    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd suggest chain letters that solicit money like this one is a form of pyramid scheme.

Bear in mind that not all chain letters solicit money. Sometimes they bring good luck and save you from flea infestations in uncomfortable places.

Thanks
    I agree with Piet. People in SA do not like MLM and do not trust it and generally for the wrong reasons - like said it is often misrepresented. It's supported though my some of the most influencial and wealthy people in the world, likes of trump, Kiyasaki, Robins etc (oh and me )

Something i notice that stands out with SA is MLM - as a good start is to introduce family/friends. SA (in fact Africa as a whole) does not like that at all. To concerned with peoples opinion of them which comes first always. The concern of what the Jones's think often outways potential return. Image...image...image... and then after that comfort zone. Something else i don't get is affiliate marketing. People embrace that - it is MLM! Argue it anyway you want, the guys at the top, make the money, the affiliate can seldom make more than them - poorer of the MLM plans if you ask me, but yes there are some good ones likes of google and 100's others. But the term affiliate is accepted, not mlm (no doubt this will start a debate but just so clear - just an opinion!)

As for the chain letter., illegal, horrible, pyramid - i would think seriously twice before sending your bank details to 1000's of people by email (as it could end up like that)
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast