I had some electrical work done by a supposedly reputable electrical company.

I thought the workmanship was rather dubious so agreed to pay the company once a certificate was issued for the work done. This has taken over a year to be produced and eventually I get a certificate, not really for the stuff that I wanted it for - but the issue for me is that it is signed off by the dubious electrician himself and his own new company's name appears. The company's name that I thought I had employed to do the work and who is now threatening for non payment, is nowhere to be seen on the certificate. This electrician has since left (been fired more likely) from the Company I employed. (Well I didnt really but thats another story).

What do you guys think? Should I not get a certificate that reflects the companies details that were ultimately responsible for the work done or is this a norm in the electrical industry where the individual employee/electrician takes the heat for a bum job and the company carries on recklessly threatening everyone they come across.

On questioning the Company - they told me this is the norm (for them I assume) that they have cleared this with the ecb and that if I wanted their name to appear on the certificate, they would have to come out and redo the tests for my account.

Should I pay the electrician instead and tell this dubious company to recover their money from the electrician - or should I take this up further with someone who represents the industry and not the consumer or should I just ignore them and take their flak every month like I have done over the past year?