Thread: YO TV - Kid's behavior

Suspended
    Thanks

YO TV - Kid's behavior

Television, irresepective of whats being shown, can capture anyones attention. Even a kids program can capture the attentention of an adult.

Now and again over the past couple of years, Ive observed the poor quality of a kids show called YO TV. I feel that the behavior of the young people who host the show are not well directed by the SABC. The have the body language like rappers and poor choice of words.
    What adds to it is the wild obsesion of the directors graphics and camera movements and vibrations. At times its an absolute caos especially with the badly behaved kids in the background.

Why cant they keep up with standards Mnet, eTV and even BBCs kids shows. They dont try to shake up the young minds and yet their shows are not boring.

We recently heard of the terrible behavior of kids in SA schools...... and theyre not getting any better. Im not saying that we should blame YO TV or SABC. Kids learn a lot of educational stuff from the show ......but with it, bad behavior. If you watch it once you will understand.

What are your views?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good question. Unfortunately now it's a bit late for what could be a long post. I'm going to try to come back to this.

Suspended
    Thanks

thanks Dave

At least there's enough people viewing it. Lets hope someone at the SABC has read this question.
    ........by the way, how is that everytime one opens a thread, it counts 2 on the view count?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by young View Post
    ........by the way, how is that everytime one opens a thread, it counts 2 on the view count?
    It doesn't - at least not directly. You might be triggering a crawl from the Google Adsense bot if you're the first to visit a specific URL.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There can be no doubt that kids are heavily influenced by their environment in many ways. I can remember the first time my son started saying words and talking about things that were new/strange to me. He had been in pre-primary class for less than a week. Up until then, he had not had that influence from outside of the family so everything was... familiar.

If we look at language, at first I was surprised by the distinctly British English of Zimbabwean citizens I met. But upon asking about this, basically this is the style of English both on TV and in the classrooms there. The heavily accented English so common on South African TV will obviously continue the uniquely South African variety of English accents well into the future.

The same has to be true of behaviour - which makes children's TV a critical component in seeding the sort of behaviour we might hope to see in our society. I know teachers are complaining that maintaining discipline in school kids is becoming increasingly difficult. I've had a teacher say "it's the parents!" But maybe it's the flat screen baby sitter after all.

Maybe shows like Yo TV need professional teachers as consultants.

In broader terms, it seems the youth of today are falling into distinct groups. Some, I think, we must be desperately concerned for. The emergence of EMO kids, and those wonderful ANCYL youngsters so eager to pledge allegiance to a leader of dubious moral substance is not exactly hopeful.

However, I am incredibly excited about the online youth of today. I know there is concern in some parts as to exactly what these kids are being exposed to, but it is producing one heck of a product. There is a level of maturity, wisdom and confidence to be found in this group that is simply amazing.